Possible to convert xterra from manual to automatic transmission?

Posted by: Jessieh04

Possible to convert xterra from manual to automatic transmission? - 01/03/10 01:48 PM

Here is the situation. I have my precious xterra 04 which is manual transmission. My brother lost his left leg in the war and him and I will be sharing the car. I have two options. Get a new car or switch the transmission.

Anyone seen this done? Would there be any problems if possible?

Thanks for all your help.
Posted by: granitex

Re: Possible to convert xterra from manual to automatic transmission? - 01/03/10 03:11 PM

Anything can be done, but for the cost and complexity of swaping it over, you would be well better suited to sell it and get an A/T. You will save a bunch of money over the swap. It is not just a bolt up operation.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Possible to convert xterra from manual to automatic transmission? - 01/03/10 06:29 PM

HERE is a document my friend made when he did his auto-to-manual conversion (he did it on a pathfinder - but same exact engine/drivetrain)

It actually is kinda-sorta bolt-in. They make the body the same for both auto and manual and just populate the pedals etc based on what they decide to make it... so if you can find a donor vehicle with all the right brackets, pedals, etc you can just swap it all over
Posted by: granitex

Re: Possible to convert xterra from manual to automatic transmission? - 02/03/10 01:40 AM

Since you have to change the ECM and add a TCM as well as all of the mechanicals. Tranny cooler, peddle assembly, interior trim componants, it is not really an undertaking for someone with limited knoweledge in this arena.

I still think trading for a similar model with an A/T would be a lot cheaper.
Posted by: SirPoopsALot

Re: Possible to convert xterra from manual to automatic transmission? - 11/03/10 08:05 AM

Where do you live?

Someone may want a manual transmission, so you could park them side by side and pull crap from one and shove it in the other.

Just sayin...