Donuts...

Posted by: TravelingFool

Donuts... - 06/05/08 07:21 AM

I'm a huge fan of the donut. Krispy Kreme's are good, but the sugar is a bit over the top for me. What are you favorites?

Anyone up for a Maple BACON Donut?
Posted by: Samueul

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 07:53 AM

You can eat a whole dozen of regular krispy kreme donuts in about 4 - 6 bites. I've done it.

Make 4 stacks of 3, microwave for about a minute (depends on microwave), squash each stack, then stack and squash again, then chomp.

MMMMM. Instant heart attack/sugar rush though. Haven't done it in years, but man is it tasty.

I don't eat donuts much anymore but Dunkin Donuts cherry cake with frosting are probably my favorite.
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 07:55 AM

I'm also a fan of Krispy Kreme. There's also a few local mom & pop type places that are good.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 08:16 AM

Definately Krispy Kreme (grew up in the Carolinas). Favorite type: raspberry jelly filled.

If only I lived a little closer to one of these though...

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 09:18 AM

Krispy Kreme pulled out of Phoenix after only a short few years here. I'm from Louisiana and I grew up on Shipley Donuts every Sunday morning.
Posted by: MidnightX

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 09:52 AM

My friend is from Boston and she HATES Krispy Kreme donuts. (She also hates gravy. Weird Northerners!) Maybe KK is just a southern thing. I personally can't resist them. If there's a fresh box at work in the morning, it takes all my power not to grab one and shove it in my mouth like I haven't eaten in days. But if I see a box of Dunkin Donuts, it doesn't have the same effect.

I personally haven't had a donut in MONTHS. I'm proud of myself!
Posted by: Samueul

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 10:10 AM

We had a lot of Krispy Kreme's open here in PA about 5 years ago, then just suddenly most of them just disappeared. Really big in the Carolina's.
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 10:18 AM

Krispy Kremes are just ok. In reality, I'm not impressed.

Give me a mom-and-pop donut shop donut over Krispy Kreme ANY day.
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 10:30 AM

I LOVE maple bars and apple fritters, but most donuts are just fine with me! smile Krispy Kreme though? Never understood the attraction... just sugar and air. I like my donuts to be a bit more substantial.

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 11:38 AM

The real treat for me is an honest to goodness Jalapeno Sausage Kolache with cheese. Looks like a donut... NOT a donut! Mornings in Clear Lake City, TX makes the best. Nobody serves Koaches in Minnesota. In fact, there just aren't many donut shops here period. Maybe it's because the locals call them "rolls." Weirdos...
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
The real treat for me is an honest to goodness Jalapeno Sausage Kolache with cheese. Looks like a donut... NOT a donut! Mornings in Clear Lake City, TX makes the best. Nobody serves Koaches in Minnesota. In fact, there just aren't many donut shops here period. Maybe it's because the locals call them "rolls." Weirdos...
Can't drive through West, TX, without stopping for their fruit-'n-creamcheese kolaches.

Jak se mas!
Posted by: NY Madman

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 01:04 PM

I used to like Krispy Kreme. During the 90's there seemed to be a lot of them but they have all disappeared from around here.

Dunkin Donuts used to be pretty good. I like the French Crullers. They are still alright.

However, the nanny state government here passed a law regarding trans fat oils and many places including Dunkin Donuts had to change their recipes. You can taste the difference. They are not as good as they used to be.

I used to love the Corn Muffins at Dunkin Donuts. They were moist and fresh. Now they are kind of dry and never taste fresh. The last time I got one I just threw it out.

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 01:30 PM

Krispy Kreme SUCKS. Never understood the hype as most of the stuff they had was pretty nasty and only a half step above day old gas station mystery donuts. They were up here for a little bit then vanished.
Posted by: MidnightX

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandForksXterra:
Krispy Kreme SUCKS.
Damn northerners.
Posted by: Joe-Nathan

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 02:19 PM

They opened a Krispy Kreme donut shop here in Lafayette, it did not last a year before they closed. To many mom and pop places here in South Louisiana.
Skatchkins, you are right. Shipley made some good donuts. But now Meche's Donut is the King here in the Lafayette area. Thier caked donuts are most excellent, especially when they are fresh and hot.

Re: Donuts... - 06/05/08 07:59 PM

MMMMM...Meche's. Miss them, but what I'd kill for is a just out of the fryer plate of beignets from Cafe DuMonde and a hot cup of Community Dark Roast to wash them down.
I get the Community shipped a couple times a year, but the beignets'll have to wait till the next trip home...dammit!
Posted by: DocNo

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 12:46 AM

A nice twist from Winchells

I'll have to be sure and get one before I head back to the east coast....

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 01:27 AM

TIM HORTONS! EH!

laugh

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 05:38 AM

Quote:
Krispy Kreme SUCKS. Never understood the hype as most of the stuff they had was pretty nasty and only a half step above day old gas station mystery donuts. They were up here for a little bit then vanished.
You said it, brotherman.

Dunkin Donuts is where it's at.
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightX:
Quote:
[b]Krispy Kreme SUCKS.
Damn northerners.[/b]
They really aren't that good. It's all sugar. To paraphrase Clara Peller, "Where's the dough?!"

A real doughnut is made by an individual, not a machine.
Posted by: ATFrontier

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 11:52 AM

BLASPHEMY!!!! Krispy Kreme rules. Y'all must be talking about bagels.

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 12:43 PM

...just got back from Canada, Tim Horton's donuts SUCK the Cho-Cho! It doesn't help that you can't drive through Toronto for 23 seconds without seeing one either.
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Donuts... - 07/05/08 07:34 PM

I've lived in Krispy Kreme country for (counting on fingers and toes) 18 years now. They were great for a while, but I've pretty much burned out on them. Damn, last time I did buy a box (actually my father-in-law sprang for the bill) a dozen of those suckers were like - what - almost 7 bucks?

Surprised none of the Austinites have nominated Round Rock donuts yet. That's some good eatin' there, and cheaper than KK's cardboard boxes.
Posted by: OrganDonor

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
Surprised none of the Austinites have nominated Round Rock donuts yet. That's some good eatin' there, and cheaper than KK's cardboard boxes.
We don't typically eat donuts. You know, trying to teach the kids healthy habits,etc. However, sounds like an EXCELLENT idea for Saturday morning!

OD

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
I've lived in Krispy Kreme country for (counting on fingers and toes) 18 years now. They were great for a while, but I've pretty much burned out on them. Damn, last time I did buy a box (actually my father-in-law sprang for the bill) a dozen of those suckers were like - what - almost 7 bucks?

Look out Malcolm. They'll kick you out of south for saying that. Them's fightin' words.....

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 05:36 AM

Glazed Krispy Kreme!!! That and a large Coffee in the morning. mmmmmmmmmmm good

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
...just got back from Canada, Tim Horton's donuts SUCK the Cho-Cho!
Yup. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 07:11 AM

For you AZ Folks who are upset with the loss of Krispy Kremes (Like myself) and you are in the South Valley. There's a place called Bosa Donuts on AZ Ave & Ray - mom & pop kinda place - awesome.

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 08:47 AM

man, we got a little place here in town that will blow KK outa the water. its a small mom and pop shop thats been around for years and if you dont know how to get to it, you'll never find it. its down a small, dark back alley in town. they're made fresh everyday and they're only open from 8pm to 2am sunday night through sat mornings. they deliver to all the local gas stations and to all the hotels. krumpy's donuts are def the best ive ever had.

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 08:54 AM

Krispy Kreme and a Koffee.

"Good morning", southern-style . . .

:p

Re: Donuts... - 08/05/08 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
[b]Krispy Kreme and a Koffee.

"Good morning", southern-style . . .

:p [/b]