"Service Engine Soon" light

Posted by: debgary

"Service Engine Soon" light - 20/02/04 08:16 PM

A couple of In-n-Out's ago someone had recommended where one could go to get the "Service Engine Soon" warning checked without having to pay Nissan $95. Where was that again? Thanks. laugh
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 20/02/04 09:18 PM

Hey Gary,

How ya doin'?

According to this thread it's Autozone. Though I think I called there one time in San Jose and they wanted money. Maybe I called Pep Boys...I don't remember. laugh
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 20/02/04 10:53 PM

The autozone around here did it free when they started advertising, some time in the last year they started charging a fee.
Posted by: Robinhood150

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 20/02/04 11:45 PM

One of my toyota friends here tried to get autozone to check his, but they said they can no longer do that in Ca because of some law.
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 21/02/04 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood150:
One of my toyota friends here tried to get autozone to check his, but they said they can no longer do that in Ca because of some law.
Is it the California "Charging money for everything" law? [Too much XOC]
Posted by: NthLJ

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 22/02/04 07:46 AM

Rather than spend the cash on one or two diagnostics, you might check into buying an OBDII scanner from somewhere like Summitt Racing. You could then check it to your hearts content wink This one is about $120. Or this Bad Mutha for $630!! eek
Posted by: xterrabull

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 22/02/04 11:11 AM

You have a 2000 X, right?
You can check the codes yourself with a small phillips head screwdriver.

There's a brief how-to on this page:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=001572#000003
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 22/02/04 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
You have a 2000 X, right?
You can check the codes yourself with a small phillips head screwdriver.

There's a brief how-to on this page:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?
That link didn't exactly work. Can you check it again?
Posted by: xterrabull

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 22/02/04 07:56 PM

Oops!
I think I fixed it....
Thanks....
Posted by: debgary

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 26/02/04 10:05 AM

Charlie X, do you have a link to the $120 unit? I checked Summit Racing and I only found references to OBDII products that hook up to Palm devices for about $350. Thanks.
Posted by: XPLORx4

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 27/02/04 04:32 PM

I searched google a bit, and found this one . It looks like the same unit Charlie found at SR.

Do you want just a simple code reader, or do you want a complete OBDII diagnostic tool? There's a big price difference between the two.

Last year I purchased a simple OBDII code reader from Harbor Freight for only 50 bucks. If you go to Harbor Freight and search for item number 46030, you'll find the device (it's only $39.99 now!).

After you have the read the code, you'll of course need the service manual to figure out why the code was triggered in the first place.
Posted by: NthLJ

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 27/02/04 04:57 PM

Sorry I should have been clearer...I can go to Summitt anytime so I just figured they would have one.

The unit that Dean linked to is a good one and is the same I saw for $120. I have had issues with some readers and past Nissans (I never could get one to read an OBDII SE-R) He's right though, any code reader will do the trick. You would need a list of the Nissan specific codes btw.

You might try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a bit. Maybe it is just a stored code and the issue is taken care of?
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: "Service Engine Soon" light - 15/03/04 01:32 PM

The other day I heard a radio advertisment from AutoZone. They were highlighting that they will hook up your car to a handheld device and run the diagnostic FOR FREE.

So I think its safe to say that the gov isn't charging for the service and that autozone is still doing it for free. IF not, you can sue them for false advertising.

I think I was listening to KNBR 680 AM when I heard it.