4x4 wine and tump !

Posted by: Solar

4x4 wine and tump ! - 27/01/05 09:38 AM

I have had my X for almost 3 years now (27K miles, automatic), due to some 42" of snow this month I've had the please of using the 4x4 many times. Two questions:

It seems when I engage the 4x4 (from a standing position) and start to push the gas pedal, there is a loud bang as the front wheels ingage. It sounds very similar to like when the brakes are frozen and you push the gas and when they release there is a bang (something like that).

Also when in 4x4 there is a very soft wine (kinda chainy sound).

Are both of these conditions normal ??

Thanks
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: 4x4 wine and tump ! - 27/01/05 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Solar:
I have had my X for almost 3 years now (27K miles, automatic), due to some 42" of snow this month I've had the please of using the 4x4 many times. Two questions:

It seems when I engage the 4x4 (from a standing position) and start to push the gas pedal, there is a loud bang as the front wheels ingage. It sounds very similar to like when the brakes are frozen and you push the gas and when they release there is a bang (something like that).

Are both of these conditions normal ??

Thanks
I don't know if that is a normal noise or not...I get the same noise myself...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 4x4 wine and tump ! - 27/01/05 11:45 AM

The slight whine isn't unusual, much more noticeable in 4LO though.

The thump/clunk from the front should be almost un-noticeable unless you're on something really slick that allows the rear tires to spin before the front hubs engage.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 4x4 wine and tump ! - 27/01/05 03:41 PM

try shifting into 4wd at 1-2 mph.. like a very slow walking pace.. if the rear tires slip as you press the gas, the front end will engage hard.