Mobil 1

Posted by: roofgoat

Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 08:44 AM

For what it's worth, went to my Nissan Dealer today to get the oil changed. I discussed the merits of synthetic oil (Mob 1) with a mechanic and a Serv Advisor.

Both said the X's engine was designed for regular oil and that synthetic is not the best way to go. They also didn't believe the Mob 1 filter was the way to go, the Nissan filter was better.

They didn't say that Mobil 1 products weren't good, just not needed.

Just passing on what I heard.
Posted by: SCoach

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 09:32 AM

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. "Engine wasn't designed for synthetic..."

I guess there really is no limit to the moronic bullshit that you hear at a dealer. I've heard some actually mention that opening up the brakes for a bleed was not recommended. Friggin' morons. You want to know about what oil works, consult a tribologist. They'll give you the straight scoop. I wouldn't let that dealership touch my car ever again.

-P

Quote:
Originally posted by roofgoat:
For what it's worth, went to my Nissan Dealer today to get the oil changed. I discussed the merits of synthetic oil (Mob 1) with a mechanic and a Serv Advisor.

Both said the X's engine was designed for regular oil and that synthetic is not the best way to go. They also didn't believe the Mob 1 filter was the way to go, the Nissan filter was better.

They didn't say that Mobil 1 products weren't good, just not needed.

Just passing on what I heard.

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 10:59 AM

I still went with my Mobil 1 (you buy it, they add it). I find it interesting all the different opinions I get from dealers on this subject.
Posted by: Metalikat3003

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 11:30 AM

I just switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic 0W30 and I love it. No problems yet and the X loves it just as much.

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 12:03 PM

What's the story with the thimble size Mobil 1 filter (M1-110 or ML-110). Looks way too small.
Posted by: superjens

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 12:17 PM

0W30? You live in Alaska or Alabama??

My truck loved Mobil 1, no more startup chatter and RPM's have dropped at idle a touch.
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 12:27 PM

Quote:
What's the story with the thimble size Mobil 1 filter (M1-110 or ML-110). Looks way too small.
All the mobil 1 filters I've gotten have been about average size for the engine.

Amsoil on the other hand has a TINY filter.
I'm scared to death that it doesn't have enough flow to cope with the engine at high RPM's.
Posted by: PismoTaco

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
0W30? You live in Alaska or Alabama??

My truck loved Mobil 1, no more startup chatter and RPM's have dropped at idle a touch.
I love on on the coast of cali and I use 0-30W. Reason being that 80% of engine wear occurs at startup and 0-30W flows the fastest upon startup. Keeping in mind that a 0W at 75F is still thicker than a 30W at 200F. 5-30 is a lil worse, 10-30 even moreso.. If they made a -5/30W I'd use that, but they don't.
-Chris
Posted by: ILUVMYX

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 12:44 PM

Quote:
Though I didn't measure it, I'm pretty sure the Mobil 1 filter is bigger (not that it means anything) than the Nissan filter.

Re: Mobil 1 - 05/04/02 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
Quote:
[b]What's the story with the thimble size Mobil 1 filter (M1-110 or ML-110). Looks way too small.
Though I didn't measure it, I'm pretty sure the Mobil 1 filter is bigger (not that it means anything) than the Nissan filter.[/b]
I've never seen the Nissan filter, and when I changed my 86 Maxima, 77 LTD and 75 Caddy (even old Corolla), the filters seemed much bigger.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Mobil 1 - 06/04/02 09:45 AM

I'm sure the filter size is appropriate for the small 3.5 quart capacity of the engine.

Brent