Governer

Posted by: Anonymous

Governer - 02/02/05 02:14 PM

Is there anyway to remove the 95 mph governer from my 2004 xterra? can you or is there someone who reprograms the computers?

Re: Governer - 02/02/05 02:23 PM

Im sure you can get a new chip, but why would you want to be going over 95? The X isnt a sports car so it wasnt made to go that fast.

Re: Governer - 02/02/05 04:21 PM

No chip, just an expensive reprogram.

95 isn't a legal speed limit in the US.

If you're going that fast, stay out of my state.

Re: Governer - 02/02/05 05:22 PM

going 95mph = 5 mpg & stoopid

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 10:26 AM

If you want to drive FAST then get a sports car........ It's that simple.
Just makes you wonder, what the hell goes on in some peoples minds.

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 11:37 AM

A big [Finger] for even asking the question!
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XTERRANJJOE:
If you want to drive FAST then get a sports car........ It's that simple.
Just makes you wonder, what the hell goes on in some peoples minds.
I'm tired of seeing these kinds of threads go this way... He didn't ask if you thought it was a good idea or for an analysis of state laws... maybe he's modifying an X to be a drag truck to be used at a perfectly legal racetrack.

He asked if it could be done. Yes or No... and how?

Either answer the guy's question or don't friggin' post at all. (Now I'm being hypocritical here 'cause I don't know if it can be done... but [Save the fine unicorns] )

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 12:53 PM

Is there a trend or something to flame people when they ask this question? Someone does it and everyone starts to sing along to the same tune.

I agree with Kaiser.

To answer the question: yes, it can be done. Find out who has the proper equipment (not sure what it would be but a lot of hi tech shops have it) and it would cost you anywhere from $200-$500 to have it done, believe it or not.

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 01:06 PM

I was stating my opinion, which i can do.That is what the board is for. I am sure you guys are no angels on this board either, so relax.
If fact, you should practice what you preach.

I highly doubt he is going to drag his X. First off, if he is going to drag his X, he needs to do a hell of a lot more then just remove the govener. Your talking suspension work, drive trains, etc.......
Just removing the governer is not going to make your X a drag car. LOL morons

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 01:07 PM

P.S if your so tired of reading these post then do not respond. Or just keep moving. It's that simple.

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 01:23 PM

Oh, cut the BS, as long as people stay on the topic asked - fine. Otherwise people that have similar questions should start a topic right away that says "Please flame me, all you out there that have nothing to do".

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 02:01 PM

No kidding, this isn't about drag racing, the X couldn't hit the governor in the 1/4-mile in the first place.

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 04:07 PM

My 2000 v6 automatic X has a top speed of 104 on flat ground. Maybe you could get an ECU from a 2000 if you really wanted to remove the governor as it seems 2000's don’t have them. My Xterra handled just fine at 104 mph, no shaking or rattling, so there is really no problem going that fast or faster.

So has anyone else broken the 95mph mark? Its kind of hard to find out because all of the wineing pussies get threads like these closed every time so no one really knows (and don’t even start about the search).

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 04:15 PM

They vary... many people have posted slightly different numbers. Mine ('00) tops out at about 97.

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 04:22 PM

Kaiser when you say it tops out at 97, do you mean it hits a limiter at 97, or it just doesn’t have enough power to go any faster? I think with the limiter there is no way its going to go faster than 95 just because of how it’s programmed. But without the limiter top speed can still differ for many reasons like tire pressure, weather conditions, and weight inside the car. Since you have a 2000 too I don’t think it’s limited since its breaking the 95 mark.
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 04:37 PM

Had a 2000 (5-speed) that maxed out at 94. Only tried it once, just to check (surrounding metro Atlanta afternoon traffic was averaging 85 - 90 in the two fast lanes).

Haven't pushed the 2002 that far, definitely not gonna try my wife's brand new 2004 anytime soon.

Drove a rental 2003 Xterra automatic in Miami (everyone there goes 100 mph [LOL] ) and it, too, topped out around 95-ish.

The governer's speed setting is dictated by the speed rating of the stock tires on a vehicle (not just the Xterra) in most cases. Most light truck tires have approximately a 93 mph speed rating on them. So, to push the speed higher is asking for potential tire problems. Think of all the mass of a truck tire spinning that fast...

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 05:58 PM

95 is pretty fast.. im with the majority, X isnt a race car. Why dont we just put NOS in it?

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattsocr:
95 is pretty fast.. im with the majority, X isnt a race car. Why dont we just put NOS in it?
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000529

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 09:15 PM

thanks for the NOS link, but it was a joke. well done
Posted by: BigE515

Re: Governer - 03/02/05 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaegerup:
Is there anyway to remove the 95 mph governer from my 2004 xterra? can you or is there someone who reprograms the computers?
Wanna race, I'll smoke you!! [Finger]

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 06:55 AM

It's stupid people like that, that i have to worry about when i am traveling on the highway with my family. Trying to go really fast in an SUV. Yeah real smart.
You say i am flaming? I do not think i am.
I think it is an unsafe idea. Especially if you are doing it just to go fast on the highways, or streets. If you are turning the truck into a drag car only then fine.
You cannot blame me for stating my opinion, when it comes to safety.

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by badercarma:
Kaiser when you say it tops out at 97, do you mean it hits a limiter at 97, or it just doesn’t have enough power to go any faster? I think with the limiter there is no way its going to go faster than 95 just because of how it’s programmed. But without the limiter top speed can still differ for many reasons like tire pressure, weather conditions, and weight inside the car. Since you have a 2000 too I don’t think it’s limited since its breaking the 95 mark.
I'm not sure if it is a gov'nah (I'm feeling British this morning) or just the vehicle topping out...

Here's a question that'll get the flamesters going.... How fast have you been on a public road in any vehicle?

140 here.... those crossing guards sure were surprised :p (j/k there...)

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Here's a question that'll get the flamesters going.... How fast have you been on a public road in any vehicle?

140 here.... those crossing guards sure were surprised :p (j/k there...)
I'm not a "flamester", but I'd be more than happy to throw some fuel on the fire you're trying to start...

115 or so, in my Jetta (wife's DD '01 1.8T 5-spd) - handled the speed really well. Stable, planted, etc - bit of wind noise, though. cool

I'll admit to being a bit of a pussy, as the car's top speed is actually 132.
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 09:31 AM

When I was driving - 105 mph. That was in my parents' 1976 Cougar XR7, 351W 2bbl, auto. That was the drag, and horsepower, limited speed of the car (remember, in the mid-70's, this engine probably had all of 140 BHP). I've been a pussy since then. Only flirted with the 100 mph mark a couple of times since.

When I wasn't driving, when I was probably about 12 years old, I remember my Dad getting pissed off at a slow driver on the interstate, mashed the pedal into the carpet and pegged the speedo at 120 on the family Ford LTD before Mom yelled some sense into him. I thought it was fun.

That car was a "beginning of the emissions era" 1970 model with a honkin' 429 cid 4bbl. (That's 7.0 liters for all you modern-day metric folks). It's also the car I first drove when I got my license.

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 09:57 AM

Just under 105 in my Saturn SL1. And lemme tell ya, that engine was SCREAMING.

Hah, my parents had a '77 LTD, much smaller engine I'm sure than Xorand's folks' had. We nicknamed it the "Poopship destroyer" because it was brown and rusty, but it had some get-up and go to it for quite awhile...well past 100K miles!

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 10:28 AM

137 mph in a 1967 Vette (passenger)

107 mph in my mom's 1978 Vette (driver)

42 mph in a 1924 Model T (top speed according to my dad)

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 10:36 AM

Just shy of 150mph--->88' Mustang. (driver)

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 10:39 AM

My X's cutoff is @102 via GPS
My 02 WRX Stage 4 162mph via GPS (at the track)

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 12:25 PM

95 in my '89 caravan, i thought it was gonna blow up [LOL] and when i wasnt drivin, 125 in my friends accord and in town, about 70 in my neighbors IROC Z

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 12:48 PM

147mph in 2000 Maxima, I was the driver. Yes, it does go that fast without the governor. No, it wasn't all stock - things here and there...
Posted by: BigE515

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 01:06 PM

36 MPH on my mountain bike, downhill and with the governor removed. [Freak]

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 02:15 PM

128mph in my old 93 stocker Honda Civic, it was still accellerating (slowly).

133 in Dad's Vette

56mph on a long steep hill on my Mtn. Bike

Fastest in the X? Somewhere around 85.

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 02:37 PM

115 mph 2004 Nissan Xterra (driver). And I'm just saying this to piss everybody off laugh I drove ON the highway, WITH cars FILLED with families. Now could somebody old and theoretical please lecture me on how stupid I am... before I kill your family... HAHA flame me

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
115 mph 2004 Nissan Xterra (driver). And I'm just saying this to piss everybody off laugh I drove ON the highway, WITH cars FILLED with families. Now could somebody old and theoretical please lecture me on how stupid I am... before I kill your family... HAHA flame me
Posted by: Deer hunter

Re: Governer - 04/02/05 05:37 PM

120 MPH in my bosses Viper and felt like
I was going obout 70
115 MPH in Peterbilt big truck
95 MPH in my Xterra
Chris

Re: Governer - 05/02/05 04:35 AM

It seems stupid to have a limiter at 95 mph.

I think having it set to 120 mph is more reasonable. Our tires look pretty damn beefy if you ask me. I'm sure they can handle it.

If every SUV was limited in this fashion, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm not planning to go over 95mph but sometimes on a downslope of a freeway, I can feel the limiter kick in.

If this limiting is so important, why doesn't JEEP, FORD, CHEVY, HUMMER, LAND ROVER and all the rest of the SUV makers do it?

Re: Governer - 05/02/05 06:06 AM

Actually, they do. They all have 'governers' in them. Not one manufacturer (of normal cars, supercars need not apply) puts out a vehicle that doesn't have a speed limiting device.

Even the 350Z has one.

Why? The tires. Sure, they look beefy, but they're only speed rated to a certain point. Past that, the construction of the tire cannot hold itself together. It's own weight will tear itself apart.

When Nissan puts a tire on a vehicle, they program the computer to not surpass the limits of the vehicle, and that includes the tires.

So what if you could put different tires on it. So what if you want to put the bottle to the engine. So what if you hammer down going down a mountain pass. Nissan doesn't care. They'll look out for your safety, even if you won't.

Re: Governer - 05/02/05 12:54 PM

I'd have to say I'm with the slowpokes on this thread.

Any SUV traveling over 95mph is not going to be a pretty sight should you have to yank the wheel to avoid something in your path.

Needing to get up to speed to keep up with traffic is one thing, but it's still piss-poor as far as reasons go. I really doubt there's any occasion in which you JUST HAVE TO maintain a speed like this. And if you're doing it just for fun, you're an idiot. Simple physics tell us that the chances of you rolling the X increase exponentially as you increase your speed.

So if you wanna treat your X like it's a sports car, that's fine. Well, actually that's not fine. I don't want to bear the consequences of your stupidity, nor does anyone else I would imagine.

Maybe you could go over 95 if you got a good head start and careened off a cliff. Well, no, that wouldn't work either really. Maybe if it was a really really high cliff at some point on the way down the X's terminal velocity would be greater than 95. Anyone wanna do the math? Hmm let's see...

...eh, nevermind. You're just a stupid asshat. We'll leave it at that.

I love name-calling! [Wave]

Re: Governer - 06/02/05 07:04 AM

132 in my 1975 280Z and it was screaming.
145 on a bike

To be quite honest, I have no idea at what speed my X tops out. I think I've only had it up to 80 while passing a couple of times. Here in New York we drive rather tame on the highways.

The governor removal question is a legitimate one for people who are trying to pass, only to have their engine lay down on them with traffic comming.

I would say go find yourself a computer-goober who knows how to reprogram eprom chips.

Re: Governer - 06/02/05 07:19 AM

Driving a 1989 Acura Integra (brand new) between Wikieup AZ and Kingman, (a long flat downhill stretch of open Highway) I had it pegged at 130 for at least 40 seconds and I'm pretty sure the car just kept getting faster. I'd estimate somewhere's around 135-138...
On two wheels, 132 on the CBR 900.
Never had the X over 80 mph though, just good common sense :rolleyes:

Re: Governer - 07/02/05 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xterra:
The governor removal question is a legitimate one for people who are trying to pass, only to have their engine lay down on them with traffic comming.
Who needs to pass someone that's only doing a "measly" 85 MPH or so?

Re: Governer - 07/02/05 12:40 PM

147 in a 1994 Z28 on the Schukyl (sp) Expressway outside Philly at 3am. If anyone knows the road, there are no shoulders making it perfect for high speed driving.

The Z28 had the LT16 package- it was basically one of the interceptor Camaros they use out west.

I made it from the 8th street on ramp to Devon in 11 minutes.

Re: Governer - 24/02/05 09:16 PM

i've had my x up past 90, but on long straight highway.

I had an S2000 to 140 on a nevada highway (straight shot for like 8 miles... nothing but cactus in site)

125 something in a 90 accord back on turnpike back in the day.. then it kicked out of gear

I think the most amazing was the 115 in the peterbuilt... i assume [Huh?] thats with out a trailer?

120+ on the Schukyl( yeah i can't spell it either) is whack. this just in on kyw.. accident on the curve.. jammed though gladwyne.

Re: Governer - 26/02/05 08:10 AM

135 Honda S2000
130 Honda CB1100
128 Toyota MR2
115 Datsun 240Z
87 Xterra 2000
36 Vision R45

Re: Governer - 26/02/05 12:53 PM

I have an X for both utility and for performance, if you hadn't noticed from my posts. My brother in Germany kicks it on the Autobon (However you spell it) in his Chevy Colorado and he still hasn't removed the governor. If I ever drag in my X, I will lower it for better control, get new tires, and then think about removing the governor. Just my two cents.

110 in my mom's Chevy Lumina
115ish in my '94 Chevy Cavalier
140 sitting in the passenger seat of my friend's Supra
87ish in the X, PASSING a guy on the highway.

-Seph

P.S. Alright, so the governor kicked in while passing, but I only wanted to do 87ish wink

Re: Governer - 26/02/05 03:04 PM

going up to breckinridge when i first got my x and it had no mods i got it to 113 it wasnt shaky either but now prolly 80......lol but hey if we raced id just take the short cut over the mountains now.
Posted by: gearhead1972

Re: Governer - 01/03/05 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
95 in my '89 caravan, i thought it was gonna blow up [LOL] and when i wasnt drivin, 125 in my friends accord and in town, about 70 in my neighbors IROC Z
LoL check this out
Clicky

Re: Governer - 01/03/05 07:03 AM

Quote:
LoL check this out
Clicky
haha i saw that a while ago, i love it! lol i love the video of it dusting the camaro [Laughing] ahh i love my van, my buddies and some of the guys in my local X club think i should lift it haha laugh
Posted by: TJ

Re: Governer - 01/03/05 11:42 AM

The easiest way to reprogram the Gov is to just mount larger tires...the X thinks its going 94.99 mph, but you might be doing 115, etc...

So, just get speed rated 35's on there, and you're all set to drive an X faster than its supposed to go.

laugh
Posted by: John Doe

Re: Governer - 01/03/05 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
The easiest way to reprogram the Gov is to just mount larger tires...the X thinks its going 94.99 mph, but you might be doing 115, etc...

So, just get speed rated 35's on there, and you're all set to drive an X faster than its supposed to go.

laugh
And by raising the center of gravity roll over easier than it's supposed to also!
Posted by: TJ

Re: Governer - 01/03/05 01:53 PM

Hey, while we're at it...the speed limit is 55 mph in most places nowadays, and 65 mph here and there...so all of us that are concerned with a gov set at a dangerously high speed can order new govs set to perhaps no higher than 65 mph, as none of us would ever go that fast in a X.

laugh

BTW - I find I can eliminate those annoying black stripes of rubber that get left behind on the road during hard cornering and four wheel drifts between stollers and wheel chairs at the Mall if I coat the tires with grease before hand.

laugh

Re: Governer - 01/03/05 05:34 PM

1987 Ford Taurus - 118mph (governor)
1988 Toyota Camry - 108mph (no more juice)
1989 BMW 325 - 140mph (was still accellerating, ran out of guts)
1989 Mustang 5.0 - 150mph (I was passenger)
1995 Jeep YJ - 100mph (any faster wasn`t comfortable)
1994 Pontiac Grand Am - 118mph (governor)
1997 Honda Civic - 118mph (governor)
2001 Mustang V6 - 120mph (governor)

Currently shopping for an xterra. For the type of vehicle, I don't care if it has a governor as long as it`s above 90mph because traffic here. Speed limit is 110km/h (68.2mph), people normally drive 10 to 15km/h faster than posted speed so that's around 75 to 82mph.
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: Governer - 02/03/05 08:27 AM

105 in a '73 Dodge Dart.

Amazing car (and very stupid driver).
Shoulda kept it.

I can remember climbing the grade in Sardine Canyon (northern Utah), and accelerating the whole way. I could crest the highest peak in the canyon at 90 mph, passing minivans that were struggling to make 45 mph . . .

Re: Governer - 08/03/05 03:34 PM

I dont know but on my 2003 X 4x4 5spd i have brought it to 105 mph at around 4800 rpm and if the Governer kiks at 95mph i dont think mine is working (which is good ).
Going to the point ,get a 2003 cpu

Good luck!!! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: JBONE

Re: Governer - 11/03/05 06:59 AM

My wife has an '03 Sentra 2.5 LE. I got it up to about 105 before I chickened out. I bet it had another 7 to 8 MPH before it topped out.

As a passenger I have gotten up to 115 in a Caddy. cool

I'm only stupid enough to drive my X at 80. [Freak]

Re: Governer - 16/06/05 01:27 PM

I have problems passing people at 55 much less any higher.. the rpms get up to about 5 grand and then it just won't go no faster :p

Re: Governer - 16/06/05 02:03 PM

I got about 105 in North Carolina with my X. The speed limit there is 70-75, but everyone goes 90+. It's near dangerous to drive slower than 80 there.

Re: Governer - 17/06/05 02:17 PM

Ummm yeah, so my X will pull 115mph without a problem, takes a little time (I70 is your best bet), some of us have actually spent time in racing schools, know what our vehicle can do, and take it to the limit laugh I took a driving class in the BMW X class a couple years ago, 3 days of cornering in them babies, burning up tranny's and what not. Fun stuff. ANy way, i have searched hi and lo and have found that there is not a governor on the xterra...

Re: Governer - 18/06/05 07:28 PM

I also dislike all the smartass replies. I don't hang here (XOC) much because of it.

My '04 SE S/C also hits limiter at 97 MPH. I think it would keep going if not for that. If you're on a 2 or 3 lane divided highway and can't see anyone for a mile in any direction, what's the harm? Wind 'er out and see what she'll do...

It is better to remain silent, and be thought an ass. Than to speak and remove all doubt.

Re: Governer - 19/06/05 01:05 AM

140 mph in my 1995 eagle talon awd turbo. Will i do it again? HELL YEA!!!! LOL

Re: Governer - 19/06/05 04:06 PM

138 as a passenger in my buddies 69 GTO. All this said, did I not hear Cyclemut say once that Nissan's computer remembers when you trip the limiter, and if that is true. How do I delete it so Nissan won't be pissed and try to void my warranty????

Re: Governer - 19/06/05 08:18 PM

Can we say 165 in a m5??? 2 days after a buddy got its license? **in a 25mph, dirt road? .And I have had my 01 hitting the needle at 110, slowed down when I put it in 5ht so it was almost redline 4th gear.. and guess what I am only 16!!! [LOL]

Re: Governer - 26/06/05 08:01 AM

heres a question for the guy wanting to 100mph in the X-your doing 100mph and you roll the truck,will the first aid kit help you out? laugh [LOL]

Re: Governer - 02/07/05 12:59 AM

155 chip limited on a 90 BMW 535, I was the driver. Took it there several times the longest was for about 15 minutes out on a lonely stretch of freeway. I watched my gas gauge drop by the second.

Dont see the problem with driving 95 in an X, as long as you know what your doing. 95 isnt all that fast on straight open freeway.

Re: Governer - 02/07/05 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thexxx:
and guess what I am only 16!!! [LOL]
you should have your lisence revoked, and not allowed to drive until you get some sense. "haha look at me im twelve!! im doin a million in a school zone!! LOL"

i hope you mommy reads this

Re: Governer - 02/07/05 08:50 AM

There is no governer on the 2001 either. I've gotten it into the low 100's before on the way to San Diego. Nothing but boring flat desert on that drive. It handled fine. But I was going straight. Didn't keep it at that speed long, figured I'd give the engine a little workout. I much rather be in 4Lo at 2mph then 100 on a freeway anyday! :p