How obsessed are you?

Posted by: SpaceAce77

How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 06:04 AM

Hey...

Think I've really got a problem here...Washed down the X last night...When I got done, it was late at night...To make sure I didn't miss any spots drying off, I went across the street to the Burger King parking lot, and parked under one of those big street light things with the super bright bulbs, and then went over the truck...I need help, huh?!?

------------------
Posted by: KY Xterra

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 06:17 AM

How about this.....I put Armor-All on the spare underneath
-------------------------------------------
'01 XE V6 XE 4x4 3-Pak Just Blue
-Rob

------------------
Posted by: Xterra Freak

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 07:04 AM

I need help too. daily rinsing cause pollen sean, complete wash 2 or 3 time a week. wife just got me a new straight jacket.......

2000 Cloud White SE 4x4

------------------
Posted by: ILUVMYX

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 07:08 AM

I polish my wheel bearings every morning when I awake. Then I use a toothbrush to clean the tread on my tires. Is that wrong?

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 07:27 AM

Eric -
Geez, don't you find a tooth brush to be a bit too harsh? A 'Q-Tip' may be a better alternative.

dave and Xtoy - or tissues with aloe?

------------------

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 07:38 AM

I was very careful to get a children's toothbrush with a very soft head. But you're right, a Q-tip may be better. Thanks for the tip... no pun intended.

------------------
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 07:56 AM

I wash the wheelwell areas and visible frame!

I'm nuts, I know. But dang, it still looks like brand new...

------------------

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 07:57 AM

What a phreak!

------------------
Posted by: defibvt

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 08:01 AM

I park so far away at work that I am losing weight from the exercise of walking to work.

------------------
There is a fine line between "addiction" and obsession"

http://members.home.net/gpxo/
Posted by: xterra2k

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 09:06 AM

So, are you guys saying that I should wash it this month? With all the rain we have had, it gets rinse at least weekly.

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages
Posted by: Jackel

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 09:38 AM

I have a big problem I think the X looks good dirty. I have washed mine 3 times in a year and 2 months

------------------
"I can make it over any obstacle, I just might not be able to make it to the next one."
www.azxterraclub.com

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 10:03 AM

The problem with NOT washing your vehicle is that road contaminents and pollutants are then free to attack your paint over a longer period. You should be waxing at least once a month or two as well...

I may be a bad example though, as my truck has more coats of wax than a candle!

Your paint will be damaged long before mine, but hey, that's your call.

[This message has been edited by BoarderPhreak (edited 04-19-2001).]
Posted by: Synchro

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 10:29 AM

can some of you guys come down and wash and wax my truck like that. it would be glad to see you.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs
Posted by: BlueRebel

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 06:04 PM

Wont all this washing make the plastic trim and wind deflector fade faster? o well, Xs look better then any car i can think of when washed, maybe its worth it.

------------------
'01 Just Blue 4x4 XE-V6 w/ 3pack
Posted by: Carl

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 06:22 PM

I just wonder if the same people that complain about their X's rusting etc, are the same people that brag about how LITTLE they take care of it? Great, it's a 4x4, ao getting it dirty is fun and part of the enjoyment. Guess what? That same dirt and grime, left on your vehicle because it looks "Cool", can cause significant damage to your X's paint.

So, in closing!

Wash the thing, and take care of it like anything else that cost 25K.

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed
Posted by: Hank

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 06:39 PM

Maybe Ian can hire an on-line psychiatrist for all of us

------------------
2000 Yellow SE 4x4 5 Spd.
"I don’t want to climb up through guilt to righteousness. I want to fall down through grace into righteousness."

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel8821:
I think the X looks good dirty. I have washed mine 3 times in a year and 2 months

The X looks great dirty. But I think that slogan was meant to brag about its off-road abilities. It wasn't meant as an excuse not to take care of your truck. Caked on mud looks cool, but 6 month old road grime and brake dust just looks like you don't care.

------------------
Posted by: YellowXXXterra

Re: How obsessed are you? - 19/04/01 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceAce77:
Hey...

Think I've really got a problem here...Washed down the X last night...When I got done, it was late at night...To make sure I didn't miss any spots drying off, I went across the street to the Burger King parking lot, and parked under one of those big street light things with the super bright bulbs, and then went over the truck...I need help, huh?!?

Was that you in the yellow X who I exchanged waves to today? Right on 107 near Applebees.

------------------
If there were no tomorrow.......how hard would you play today?
Posted by: MidnightX

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 05:56 AM

You guys are PSYCHO! Armor-Alling your SPARE?!?!?!?!? That is too damn funny!!!!

I haven't graduated to your floor at the Insane Asylum yet. But I'll be there soon!

------------------
Love you all,
Lizzie a.k.a. Dana Scully, F.B.I.

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 06:12 AM

Quote:
[font face="arial"]
Was that you in the yellow X who I exchanged waves to today? Right on 107 near Applebees.
[/font]

No...I have a super black X...If you're in the bethpage area, and see a black x with maniks, it's probably me...later!

------------------
Posted by: Vince

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 07:43 AM

Iam pretty bad too. I wax mine after every wash and go over the engine as well. Mine still ooks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

------------------
Vince
01'Silver Ice SE 4x4
Trek STP 400 OCLV MTB
Colnago (roadie)
Posted by: babyX

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 01:26 PM

Hey all! I'm new here -- don't even own an X yet (two months! two months!) -- and I've gotta say I'm concerned about the sanity of this group. Q-Tips? On tires? How long, and how many, does it take to do one tread??? That's dedication.

Excess grime can't be good. But I must admit, it looks cool and it's one reason I want one of these.

------------------

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 01:31 PM

It's getting worse...I Quik Detailed the Torx Wrench today. :-)

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!

01XE - 3Pak/Maniks
Black in the Saddle

------------------
Posted by: lttljess

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 02:45 PM

Build those muscels! Wax on wax off.. Your gonna intimidate me so I never leave my garage for fear the X (we dont own yet) will need to be waxed!

------------------
Posted by: 2kxtra

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 05:15 PM

I spent 3 1/2 hours on the outside of the X today. It is my day off and it was beautiful out. I'll do the inside, probably another 3 hour job, tomorrow.

------------------

Rob
**2000 Super Black SE 4x4, 5spd**
"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

Re: How obsessed are you? - 20/04/01 07:19 PM

I think I may have figured out where the psychosis comes from...My dad told me today, that back in the day, he bought a Harley (oh bout late 50's or so)...Every day for like the first month he had it, he would put a coat of Simoniz on it...Guess it's hereditary...

------------------
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: How obsessed are you? - 21/04/01 04:56 PM

I use a bottle brush on the inside of the box frame.

Don't forget to polish the BACKS of your headlights.

------------------

Re: How obsessed are you? - 21/04/01 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silverxglider:
I use a bottle brush on the inside of the box frame.

Don't forget to polish the BACKS of your headlights.

I use toothpicks to get the small stuff out of the tire treads.

------------------
Posted by: rch

Re: How obsessed are you? - 22/04/01 07:04 AM

I use a pipe cleaner to clean the screw holes for the wind deflector and cargo basket....

My name is Rob, and I am a Xterracoholic.

[This message has been edited by rch (edited 04-22-2001).]
Posted by: X terrin it up

Re: How obsessed are you? - 22/04/01 04:16 PM

well..seeing as how i got it 2 days ago and have washed it 2X already and have ~200 miles on it and picked it up with ~10..i think you can say i am obssesed.
what is sicker, is it doesn't even have the paint protectant on yet, or the interior smuck and it's already been off road OH MY! ahh well..it's been cleaned and looks brand spanking new..as it should

anyhow...they say wait how long before waxing? ) already been done..whoops

------------------

[This message has been edited by X terrin it up (edited 04-22-2001).]

Re: How obsessed are you? - 22/04/01 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl:
I just wonder if the same people that complain about their X's rusting etc, are the same people that brag about how LITTLE they take care of it? Great, it's a 4x4, ao getting it dirty is fun and part of the enjoyment. Guess what? That same dirt and grime, left on your vehicle because it looks "Cool", can cause significant damage to your X's paint.

So, in closing!

Wash the thing, and take care of it like anything else that cost 25K.

not necessarily, i wash it almost never and the only rust i have is where i have been stupid and accidently scratched the paint off, like when i slid into that tree on the trail. i beat the snot out of it on the trails, service the mechanical bits WAY more often than nissan recommends, and it has held up beautifully. the way i see it, treating the inards best is way more important than the paint job or any sheet metal.

I'd be questioning how often people get their Xs serviced than washing it. paint can be replaced or touched up much cheaper than have the mechanical bits worked on when not taken care of.

Re: How obsessed are you? - 22/04/01 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceAce77:
I think I may have figured out where the psychosis comes from...My dad told me today, that back in the day, he bought a Harley (oh bout late 50's or so)...Every day for like the first month he had it, he would put a coat of Simoniz on it...Guess it's hereditary...

yeah, it's called obsessive compulsion.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs
Posted by: imacsae

Re: How obsessed are you? - 27/04/01 07:59 AM

As a proud owner of a super black X that looks like I just got it off the showroom floor I have to say. My name is ivan and I am an Xterra holic. I armor all my spare as well, never know when you will have to put it on, as my gear basket on the roof. And let me tell you cleaning that basket is a pain you gotta get in all the little squares.

------------------
'01 Ultra-black XE
Waag front and rear gaurd
Tinted Windows
Souped up system
love it.
Posted by: LOCHS 2

Re: How obsessed are you? - 27/04/01 06:43 PM

I q-tip the driver's key hole. I wipe down inside of doors once a week. I windex my PIAA's I soap the sun roof from the inside of cabin. I tuck rear seat belt recepticles under the cushions for a clean look. I wax the roof rack bars. I clean the top 1/4 inch of each window twice a week so they look clean when partially down. I turtle wax the tires (not the spare though) I soap the wiper blades. OCD anyone?

------------------
xterrainyourface GO BLUE!
'01 Super Black SE V6 automatic 4x4 6-pack in the back

Re: How obsessed are you? - 27/04/01 07:23 PM

uh ok you win ya big psycho.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
Tinted Windows
Souped up system
love it.
Posted by: ATFrontier

Re: How obsessed are you? - 28/04/01 07:17 AM

An excellent way to clean and protect the frame and wheelwells is to spray armor-all foam tire dressing. No after rubbing. Looks great!!

------------------
01 Goldrush XE w/3 pack
4x2, Silver WAAG front & back, PIAA 520 & 1400 Lights

Re: How obsessed are you? - 28/04/01 08:27 AM

hey does that really work or are you just jokin.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
Tinted Windows
Souped up system
love it.
Posted by: pepper kay

Re: How obsessed are you? - 28/04/01 08:39 AM

I use Meguiar's Gold Classic Endurance for tires on the tires and then the frame rails ... gives a very flat finish, easy to do and looks terrific ...

That's of course, after doing everything suggested by all the posts above this one ...

I'd do the tire treads, but Maguiars specifically cautions about treads and bicycle seats ... too slippery ...

I still use a toothbrush on my '57 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe when cleaning under the hood ... I find that with proper care, a quality toothbrush will last at least a year ...

How 'bout the bumpers and side rail treads ... are they metal, plastic, plastic covered metal or what ?? ... what would be safe on them ? ... I'm ready to use Turtle Wax Formula 2001 which I know is safe, but would like to 'darken' them a bit ...

------------------
Pepper Kay
"All my X are belong to me"
SWXC #39

Re: How obsessed are you? - 28/04/01 09:10 AM

The bumper material and other trim pieces like on the step rails are plastic...

I've found that "Back to Black" works best. Normal protectants wash off or leave a white wax-like residue - kinda nasty. B2B is clean, seemingly silicone-based, doesn't wash off easily (even looks good in the rain!) and restores the original luster nicely.

For the interior, I started to use protectant, but decided instead to just wipe it all down with a slightly damp cloth instead and get a sunscreen for the windshield. Looks good, smells like "new car" and doesn't leave films or residues.

I do have Meguiars vinyl protectant though - which is nice, as it's not one of those "pimped out super glossy" types of sprays. It leaves a nice, natural finish.

------------------
01SE 6cyl 5spd SolrYelow
Posted by: pepper kay

Re: How obsessed are you? - 28/04/01 12:31 PM

I did the treads on the side rails and the bottom of the mud flaps with the Meguiars ... they look terrific ... now, gonna do the rest of the mud flaps and the body side molding ...

When I rap on the bumper (front), it sure sounds like metal ... if that's so, then it's painted and I best not put anything on it ... I'll try the B2B as suggested and make a comparison with the Meguiars ...

On the inside, I think I'll follow your suggestion and just do a rubdown with a clean cloth ... Armor All and others like it seem to leave a residue on everything after awhile and they feel sticky to me ...

------------------
Pepper Kay
"All my X are belong to me"
SWXC #39

Re: How obsessed are you? - 28/04/01 04:14 PM

Oh, right - yeah, the bumpers proper are indeed metal, but painted to match the plastic. You can tell which is which.

I use B2B on ALL the trim pieces, bumpers, mirrors, treads, etc. and it works nicely. Go for it and I think you'll agree!

------------------
01SE 6cyl 5spd SolrYelow