How much oil xterra take?

Posted by: Anonymous

How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 04:01 PM

I tryed the search, lots of dead links, very annoying. I just changed the oil in my X for the first time and I just added 5 quarts. Is that whats reccomended?
Posted by: XOC

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 04:13 PM

Don't know..

What does your owners manual say?

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 04:23 PM

Ok, 4 1/8 quart recommended, I put 5 in; I say that’s close enough for government work, ill just do it right next time.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 04:24 PM

The 04's V6 is 3.5 qts I think
Posted by: John Doe

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 05:04 PM

5 quarts is close enough to 4 1/8 quarts for government work. wink
Posted by: DocNo

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by badercarma:
Ok, 4 1/8 quart recommended, I put 5 in; I say that’s close enough for government work, ill just do it right next time.
Um, I suggest you drain it and fill it correctly because according to Nissan's manual 3.5 quarts is the proper amount.

Check out page 227 of the 2000 Xterra owners manual that can be found in PDF form here.

The difference between 3.5 and 5 quarts is enough to cause seal damage or cause frothing and oil starvation.

but hey, knock yourself (or rather your engine) out...

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 05:46 PM

My 2000 manual said 4 1/8.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by badercarma:
My 2000 manual said 4 1/8.
He's right DocNo a 2000 4 cylinder calls for 4 1/8 quarts.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 06:00 PM

Anyone else put 5 quarts in their v6 Xterra? I don’t really feel like changing it again just to take some oil out.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 06:09 PM

Drop out a little at a time. Just snug the drain plug in between checking the level. Then, when you get the level correct (as in draining out the offending portion) tighten the plug all the way back up. Messy, but you're engine will thank you for it.

So will your wallet later on.
Posted by: DocNo

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Doe:
He's right DocNo a 2000 4 cylinder calls for 4 1/8 quarts.
Yup, but he has an SE - has to be a V6...

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
Originally posted by John Doe:
[b]He's right DocNo a 2000 4 cylinder calls for 4 1/8 quarts.
Yup, but he has an SE - has to be a V6...[/b]
I know that, but who am I to argue with someone who seems to know what he is talking about? I made the 4 cyl. post so he would hopefully see the error of his ways, which I think he did due to his subsequent post.
Quote:
Anyone else put 5 quarts in their v6 Xterra? I don’t really feel like changing it again just to take some oil out.
Also you must have missed his post (which he edited) where he said it was too cold to check his owners manual. I recommend finding out how much oil is needed BEFORE changing oil not after.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 16/01/05 06:59 PM

Yeah I made a mistake, looked at 4cyl instead of v6, AFTER I changed it. But I just went and drained a quart and a half, and checked it, Fixed Forever.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 23/01/05 09:39 PM

Use your owners manual. Why would you guess when the answers are right there? If you lost the manual I belive it is avialable on nissan's web site as a .pdf. Engineers make specifications for a reason, it's best to stick to them as closely as possible.

Re: How much oil xterra take? - 23/01/05 10:49 PM

the v6 in a 2000 model takes 3.6 qrts. plus some extra is need for to oil filter. 4 qrts works perfictly. its just a little over the full line.

that is what the spec manual at work says anyway.