Calmini front bumper... looks weak

Posted by: SEXterra

Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 21/05/01 02:41 PM

Hey, I think it looks cool and has potential, but...
ONLY FOUR BOLTS HOLD IT ON. I WOULDN'T TRUST THAT FOR ANY RECOVERY SITUATION. At least the ARB has those bottom BIG bolts for added support.

Look for yourself.

Anyone testing this thing out?
Thoughts?

------------------
kennedyusmc@earthlink.net
"Bring me the donut Mojo"
Posted by: Sc00ter

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 21/05/01 05:47 PM

You wanna take a guess at how many bolts hold the poor excuse for a stock bumper on?

For winching(straight pull) situation, I believe the bumper will do great. However, notice that there are no snatch points on the bumper. Of course I wouldn't snatch with my ARB either, regardless of hardware holding it on. Thats what the tow hook is for. But then again, with a winch and snatch block, you shouldn't need to dynamically snatch yourself out of much.

Just my $.02 worth. I'm curious to hear from anyone that has used the product.

scoot

------------------
"There appears to be a loose nut on the keyboard!"
Posted by: Olegkha

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 21/05/01 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sc00ter:
...However, notice that there are no snatch points on the bumper. ...

i would assume you can use factory tie down loops at the bottom of the frame for that

------------------
Posted by: XOC

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 21/05/01 08:59 PM

The BIG bolt on the ARB really isn't helping much since it goes through such a large hole.
As such it can move a great deal. The bolts that go into the frame are doing all the work.

The Calmini bumper does offer better approach angle by not bolting to the factory tie down hooks, and allows almost any brand of winch to be mounted.

We'll have a test on the Calmini bumper soon.

The stock bumper is not a poor excuse, it is a stock bumper, and is designed to crumple on impact. If not, the DOT would not allow the Xterra to be sold.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: MeWantSnow!

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 21/05/01 09:11 PM

That's the first time I've seen that bumper. What's the price compared to the ARB?

------------------

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 22/05/01 12:57 AM

$629
http://www.purenissan.com/xterra.htm

Another point is that it's made especially for the Xterra, not a modified bumper like the ARB.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

[This message has been edited by xoc (edited 05-22-2001).]
Posted by: Cygnus-X1

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 22/05/01 06:02 AM

Any idea how heavy it is? How heavy is the ARB you all have?

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice
Posted by: xterra2k

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 22/05/01 11:33 AM

I would like to see them offer the bar with full brush guards. Protection for the corners. My .02

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages
Posted by: Philosopher

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 22/05/01 01:00 PM

No shackle attachment points.

No place for lights.

Nice ArmorAll'd tires though.

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 22/05/01 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
No shackle attachment points.
No place for lights.
Nice ArmorAll'd tires though.

The loops on the ARB are not shackle attachment points, they are for a Hi-Lift attachment. They are not designed to handle pulling loads (but they hold up well).

I'll take 2 cast iron tow hooks on the frame over the ARB any day.

Calmini will offer bolt on light tabs for their bumper.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: Synchro

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 23/05/01 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
The BIG bolt on the ARB really isn't helping much since it goes through such a large hole.
As such it can move a great deal. The bolts that go into the frame are doing all the work.

perhaps, but those front 2 bolts are right into the frames crumple zone. same as the ARB, but the added bolt of the ARB i would think adds a little more stability than just the crumple zone bolts. dunno

personally, i am going to put another 1/2" carraige bolt through the ARB and frame behind the crumple zones if i can to keep it from flexing while winching.

i agree with you on the tow points. frame based ones are the way to go. but it doesn't have any jack points either. they would be wise to put the same jack points as the ARB, then people could use the ARB hi-lift adapter on the calmini, no need to reinvent the wheel.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 23/05/01 03:20 PM

I can't see how the winch is mounted in the picture, but what about ease of theft?

Atleast with the ARB, if someone wants to steal your winch, they have quite a bit of work ahead of them.

scoot

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 23/05/01 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sc00ter:
Atleast with the ARB, if someone wants to steal your winch, they have quite a bit of work ahead of them.

Not really, 2 minutes with a wrench and the whole ARB bumper comes off.

If someone wants your winch bad enough, they will get it regardless of what it's mounted on.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: Schludwiller

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 23/05/01 09:52 PM

Quote:
Not really, 2 minutes with a wrench and the whole ARB bumper comes off.

If someone wants your winch bad enough, they will get it regardless of what it's mounted on.

Not if you weld it a bit to the frame. Mine isn't going anywhere.

------------------
Xterra4x4.com

Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 25/05/01 10:33 AM

I said winch, but bumper.

There was a story of some guys in Corpus Christi that would cruise parking lots at night with a flat bed truck and a plasma cutter. They would cut the frame ahead of the bumper mounts and take the whole damn thing! They got about six before someone caught them and introduced them to Mr. Tire Iron.

scum.

------------------
"There appears to be a loose nut on the keyboard!"
Posted by: irsa76

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 26/05/01 08:26 AM

One thing to watch with the ARB and possible other repalcment bumpers is if another car hits you head on your frame WILL get bent. A mate with a 1993 Toyota P/U has an ARB winch bar fitted and a car hit him headon. Little damage to the body, ARB bumper and side rails, but the frame was twisted and the steering box was torn off the frame. The hit came from the RH corner and pushed the front spring shakel and frame end where the bar mounts about 2" to the left. The bar is only slightly bent!

------------------
Ian-aka snork,rollover
wish I could get an X here!
Posted by: XROCK

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 25/06/01 02:21 PM

Hate to bring up an old topic, but anyone have one of these yet? I'm pretty interested- just looking for some input/experience.
Is there a place for lights?

------------------
Sometimes when I'm in the bathtub, my shadow chokes me!
www.hxoc.net

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 25/06/01 07:28 PM

this is a repost of a post on the "Unofficial board"

"it only bolts into the crumple zone. it does not have the lower bolt to the lower brackets on the frame. and i know some people have said that these are not needed, but i can tell you that on off camber or strange pulls they are. mine have shifted and i am going to be forced to put a another grade 8 bolt through the frame down there to keep my ARB steady. I really think that if that part wasn;t needed both ARB and TJM would not have put it there. ARB and TJM have been making bumper for decades, this looks to be calmini's first production one. I have serious reservations about just bolting it into the crumple zones alone.

not to mention that there are no bars continueing on over the head lights. you can hit a deer, and still encur more damage than you would with a TJM or ARB bumper.

So for the same price as the Calmini bumper you can get bumpers from ARB or TJM that have decades more expereince in bumper building, decades more testing in places like the australian outback, moab and tellico bumpers to name a few, and better protection from deer and such not coming from the corner. not to mention that the calmini bumper has no hi-lift points. heck all they had to do was weld on the same exact points that the ARB has, and people would have been able to use the ARB hi-lift accessoris with no mod. this kind of attention to detail has me worried.

now then, their lift looks good to me, that i cannot argue with too much. they have years of expereince in that, and are known for quality parts in that realm. so on that note, i have no problems.

So until someone i know and trust on one of the Xterra boards installs one of these bumpers, and does an side pull or a pull when on the downward part of a berm, i am not conviced that calmini has nailed this one. I would be glad to be proved wrong."

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 25/06/01 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by irsa76:
One thing to watch with the ARB and possible other repalcment bumpers is if another car hits you head on your frame WILL get bent. A mate with a 1993 Toyota P/U has an ARB winch bar fitted and a car hit him headon. Little damage to the body, ARB bumper and side rails, but the frame was twisted and the steering box was torn off the frame. The hit came from the RH corner and pushed the front spring shakel and frame end where the bar mounts about 2" to the left. The bar is only slightly bent!

true, but would he have encurred different damage more or less without the bumper? hard to say, no? I have been reading a few of the news article over the past few months from Australia about bull bars and pedestrian accidents. and would have this to say....YIKES!!!! They can turn a critical accident regarding human pulpy mass hitting bull bar into a bone laced slurpy. so those of us who have have them need to pay extra special attention. if i can dig up the links on these stories and studies, i will post them.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 06-25-2001).]
Posted by: XROCK

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 26/06/01 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info- Sounds like it wouldn't be the best choice. I do think it looks a little smoother than the ARB, but I was wondering about the lack of coverage over the headlights. ARB is just a little "blocky" to me.

------------------
Sometimes when I'm in the bathtub, my shadow chokes me!
www.hxoc.net
Posted by: GordP

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 29/06/01 11:04 AM

For me, the ARB / TJM bumpers are out of the question. Because, I torched off my factory tie-down plates; they were far too close to my aftermarket forged tow-hooks.

So, the _only_ option in this instance is the Calmini bumper.

Looking under the Xterra, fundamentally I don't like the fact that the frame is down so low, and the bumper is vertically-offset from the frame. This sucks; I'm accustomed to a frame directly in-line with the bumper...

Hey.... maybe I could fit a taller Kenworth grille, install a bumper in-line with my frame, and go with a 6" lift/springover

------------------
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 30/06/01 08:38 AM

I will post my two cents in on this. I like the Calmini bumper for a couple of reasons, one of which is the lack of the brush guard. It really isn't something that is vital to life here in sunny Florida. I also like the choice of winches. As for someone stealing your winch, keep in mind on the ARB that the winch it uses (Warn XD 8 or 9000) is notorious for frying the thermal switches. If you weld that bumper on, getting to that switch to replace it is going to be an exercise in patience and you will probably invent a few new cuss words in the process. As far as light goes, I am sure shortly CalMini will find a way to resolve the light tab issue if they haven't already. If not, that's why man invented the drill, eh? It's not like you didn't have to drill some holes for the ARB. Something to think about.

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 30/06/01 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:
this is a repost of a post on the "Unofficial board"

[b]"it only bolts into the crumple zone. it does not have the lower bolt to the lower brackets on the frame. and i know some people have said that these are not needed, but i can tell you that on off camber or strange pulls they are. mine have shifted and i am going to be forced to put a another grade 8 bolt through the frame down there to keep my ARB steady. I really think that if that part wasn;t needed both ARB and TJM would not have put it there. ARB and TJM have been making bumper for decades, this looks to be calmini's first production one. I have serious reservations about just bolting it into the crumple zones alone.

not to mention that there are no bars continueing on over the head lights. you can hit a deer, and still encur more damage than you would with a TJM or ARB bumper.

So for the same price as the Calmini bumper you can get bumpers from ARB or TJM that have decades more expereince in bumper building, decades more testing in places like the australian outback, moab and tellico bumpers to name a few, and better protection from deer and such not coming from the corner. not to mention that the calmini bumper has no hi-lift points. heck all they had to do was weld on the same exact points that the ARB has, and people would have been able to use the ARB hi-lift accessoris with no mod. this kind of attention to detail has me worried.

now then, their lift looks good to me, that i cannot argue with too much. they have years of expereince in that, and are known for quality parts in that realm. so on that note, i have no problems.

So until someone i know and trust on one of the Xterra boards installs one of these bumpers, and does an side pull or a pull when on the downward part of a berm, i am not conviced that calmini has nailed this one. I would be glad to be proved wrong."

[/B]

My thought exactly.. Calmini may be a great company but I would rather go with a company that has been doing this longer than just a few months.

------------------
"Someone needs to say something to Carlton about his LONG-ASS signature." Philosopher

SWXC Member# 2
Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 30/06/01 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
My thought exactly.. Calmini may be a great company but I would rather go with a company that has been doing this longer than just a few months.

FYI, Calmini has been making bumpers for 15 years.

ARB on the other hand, has never built a bumper specifically for the Xterra.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: ned946

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 30/06/01 03:21 PM

Quote:

AMEN!

We were such an afterthough for ARB! I have an ARB and it works but given the choice, I will support companies that support the XTERRA. I'm waiting for Calmini to develope their line (REAR BUMPER?!?!?). Skid row has shown great support too.

------------------
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 30/06/01 08:11 PM

Quote:

New to me.. good for them :-) I retract my statement that they have only been making winch bumpers for a few months

------------------
"Someone needs to say something to Carlton about his LONG-ASS signature." Philosopher

SWXC Member# 2
Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
I'm waiting for Calmini to develop their line (REAR BUMPER?!?!?).

Calmini is making some very, very cool stuff for the Xterra.

Unfortunately, I can't talk about any of it for a little while.

You will not be disappointed though.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 08:54 AM

Quote:
Calmini is making some very, very cool stuff for the Xterra.

Unfortunately, I can't talk about any of it for a little while.

I respect your confidentiality clauses, but can ya at least comment on what parts are being developed? ie rear bumpers? ....without violating your agreements?

------------------
Posted by: imacsae

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 09:23 AM

even if no specific info is given ian we would all appreciate a heads up on what they are developing so that we don't go ahead and buy similar components from someone else and end up kicking ourselves later for not waiting. If anything I believe this would help calmini sales in the future. Come on help out some of us that are just starting to move away from stock.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADERX

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 01:14 PM

How about "don't buy anything for the next week", and I'll let Steve Kramer from Calmini show you what he's been up to.

He should have it painted by then.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 03:24 PM

OK works for me.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
Posted by: Xterrian

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 03:31 PM

Weird! i was just talking to Steve on the phone the other day about touring the facility. He told me all kinds of neat "for your ears only" stuff. I can't wait until I actually get to go do the tour.

------------------
Posted by: Craigs_Tonka

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 01/07/01 10:30 PM

Quote:
How about "don't buy anything for the next week",
You've got my interest peaked. Gonna be a long week,I hate waiting.

------------------
My wife calls it the "Intrepid Bee", I call it "Tonka".
craigs-tonka@home.com
www.azxterraclub.com
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/07/01 09:46 AM

Quote:
How about "don't buy anything for the next week", and I'll let Steve Kramer from Calmini show you what he's been up to.

He should have it painted by then.

Are you referring to the swing-away tire carrier/bumper? He said (unfortunately) they won't be ready for production on that or the roof rack for another month or two. He said just watch the web site, as they'll update it when they have info.

------------------
blah!

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/07/01 02:06 PM

what roof rack are we talking about the full one they have or something else.

------------------
Were in the spirit world a$$hole they can't see us.
'01 super black XE 4x4

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/07/01 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
He said (unfortunately) they won't be ready for production on that or the roof rack for another month or two.

Ummm, got this recently:

Ned, yes we are releasing a bumper this week with those features. Check our
site in a couple of days. I did have a meeting with Powertrax last month,
and they have promised to give the H233B rear a look for the No Slip system.
We should know their plans are later this summer. Give me a call at
800-345-3305 if you have any additional questions. Steve Kramer, CALMINI
Products Inc.

Production may be a different issue though (and I'm talking about the bumper)!
-Ned

------------------
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/07/01 04:43 PM

Yes, he said that they would have a prototype done in a few days, and that they will display it on their web site. However, they will not have the tooling done for production until late summer.

------------------
blah!
Posted by: danno

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 08:53 AM

I'm still waiting to hear if anyone has got one of the Calmini front bumper/bar. Anyone?

------------------
2001 Alpine Green SE 4x4
I guess it's got something to do with luck, but I waited my whole life for just one --- truck

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SEXterra:
ONLY FOUR BOLTS HOLD IT ON

Just to update the speculation here, its 6 bolts and not 4. What people are not considering is the end of the frame rail. The Calmini is much heavier gauge metal than the ARB and it seems to "reinforce" the frame almost. It looks as if you could hang the Xterra from a tree. The bumper is not done justice in pictures cuz what you cannot see is how durable the thing is. It will be interesting to see the results after a heavy winch pull with the ARB vs the Calmini. I know where I would put my money on that bet!

The ARB and Calmini seem similar in pic's (black bumpers) but to pick each up would sum up the difference very quickly.

Time will tell!

------------------

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
Just to update the speculation here, its 6 bolts and not 4. What people are not considering is the end of the frame rail. The Calmini is much heavier gauge metal than the ARB and it seems to "reinforce" the frame almost. It looks as if you could hang the Xterra from a tree. The bumper is not done justice in pictures cuz what you cannot see is how durable the thing is. It will be interesting to see the results after a heavy winch pull with the ARB vs the Calmini. I know where I would put my money on that bet!

The ARB and Calmini seem similar in pic's (black bumpers) but to pick each up would sum up the difference very quickly.

Time will tell!

Fine Ned. 4 bolts, 6 bolts, frickin weld the damn thing in front of the crumple zones. I still don't see how this makes anything stronger as long as it's attached in front of the crumple zone.

Why don't you buy one and show us all how tough it is?

------------------
Xterra4x4.com

[This message has been edited by Schludwiller (edited 08-03-2001).]

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 07:10 PM

You guys all seem to think that crumple zone is made of balsa wood or something.

Go try and bend it, seriously.

It's designed to bend a bit, and force the stock bumper downwards in a 40MPH crash.

Winching will do nothing to it.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 07:55 PM

Quote:
You guys all seem to think that crumple zone is made of balsa wood or something.

Go try and bend it, seriously.

It's designed to bend a bit, and force the stock bumper downwards in a 40MPH crash.

Winching will do nothing to it.

My point being that 4 or 6 bolts in front of the crumple zones does nothing to suggest extra strength.

Explain why having bolts in front of the frame rails does anything to improve the strength over the 4 already attached to the bumper.

I've seen the flex going on with some extreme ARB/winch pulls on Xterras. I just want to see someone buy the Calmini and show us how great it is. With what I've seen on an ARB winch, I don't get how Calmini is going to be any better. (which was what Ned's original post was all about).

------------------
Xterra4x4.com

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
My point being that 4 or 6 bolts in front of the crumple zones does nothing to suggest extra strength.

True, but the material is thicker throughout the bumper, which does.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 09:17 PM

OK so now make it clear after all this arguing is the arb or the calmini stronger. Is the calmini made of thicker steel.

------------------
Were in the spirit world a$$hole they can't see us.
'01 super black XE 4x4
Posted by: Mosi

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 03/08/01 10:06 PM

True there is no doubt in my mind that both bumpers will cause the frame to flex when winching.. believe me I know after I had to winch an extremely stuck struck out of the sand. I had to pull him up hill or he would have rolled. The frame flex was so intense that there was about a 4-5" gap between the top of the bumper and the grill! I thought I was screwed! After pulling out the stuck truck the tension was released and the frame snapped back into place. WHEW!! What I did notice was a nice ripple effect in the ARB steel just below the fairlead. There was so much stress on where the winch mounts that it bent! This is where I believe a bumper with thicker construction would take the lead in maintaining it's rigidness.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
ARB Bullbar & air locker, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, 3" AC lift
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 04/08/01 07:41 AM

Quote:
True, but the material is thicker throughout the bumper, which does.

I'm operating under the "weakest link" theory in that it doesn't matter how strong the bumper is, if the crumple zones are the weak spot, all you'll have is a intact bumper and bent crumple zones.

The ARB goes past the crumple zones and seems to act like a cast, firming up the weak spot.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer about Calminis product, I just haven't seen anyone winch with one. To propose that it's stronger without having used it on an owners truck in some of the situations we encounter is just speculation.

------------------
Xterra4x4.com

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 05/08/01 10:21 PM

Quote:
To propose that it's stronger without having used it on an owners truck in some of the situations we encounter is just speculation.

True! ...but so is saying that its not true. Like I said, the bumper almost (yes, that implies speculation) reinforces the frame. I too was resistant to give into the counterintuitive thinking that the "crumple zone" wouldn't crumple. It might be interesting to see what type of response Nissan would give on the effect of a 9 or 10K force on the frame rails. Who knows???

...I do know that (if you recall) my ARB mounts did stretch under winch force.

------------------

Re: Calmini front bumper... looks weak - 05/08/01 10:40 PM

Quote:

Why don't you buy one and show us all how tough it is?

I'd love to. Send me the cash.

------------------