Raingler Rear Bumper interest

Posted by: DGX Factor

Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 29/05/03 10:01 PM

I chatted with Eddie at Raingler while I was at the Easter Jeep Safari/GoneMoab about how interested he would be in making a rear bumper w/tire carrier for the Xterra. He liked the idea provided he could see that there would be SERIOUS interest in this. I don't know If any of you have seen some of the rear bumpers/tire carriers he makes under the Jeeperman brand name, but after I took a first hand look at some of them, thats what sparked me to ask since I was very impressed with what I saw and the fact he has been kind enough to start with the Raingler products for our Nissans. So lets see what kind of interest we have out there to get another Rear bumper assembly with and even without the tire carrier (When we discussed it, I was explaining that when and If it is built, it should be a full wrap around that replaced the corner pieces also). And lastly, I don't think you would be disappointed with pricing on this either since It appears his Jeeperman line costs less than the majority of others out there. What do you think guys and gals, Eddie is serious if you all are....
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 06:48 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would love to have a rear bumper but cannot afford the current one that makes me drool
Posted by: KCX

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 06:57 AM

I'm interested. Especially if the cost is less.
Posted by: panhandleX

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 07:27 AM

Interest sparked here. Especially if its at a good price.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 02:30 PM

I neeeeeed one!!!
Posted by: Bobby_X

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 02:34 PM

I am worried about this price. His nets are quite expensive, for just webbing.
Posted by: Uzbad

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby_X:
I am worried about this price. His nets are quite expensive, for just webbing.
Well their current bumpers arent very outpriced from market's average. They are pretty regular for custom made bumpers in the area (i was kind of shopping for bumper(s) for a while, and still is)

As for webbing - i wouldnt say its expensive - yeah they arent Walmart price level , but then their quality is far above. Not to mention you wouldnt have to spend money for all the extra bits (like tie downs and stuff)
Posted by: Raingler

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 04:18 PM

the price point would be in the 550-700 range based upon lower portion design. The top may be similiar to what we currently offer feature wise, I am looking into formed steel w/ wraparounds or DOM tube for the lower portion. Here is an example of how we build a bumper:
http://www.jeeperman.com/bumpers/rear/rock_swingaway/specs/index.html We could offer them raw steel (easy to touch up) or powdercoated black.
If we do the swingaway, then we would launch the entire line of skidz, and front bumpers and a roof rack. We also build Jerry can mounts, and over the tire racks:
http://www.raingler.com/shop/products.asp?catID=28
Keep the feedback coming, it's alot of work and money to launch a new product, we want to see if there is any room w/ X owners for more options as far as bumper manufacturers. Thx. Eddie

P.S. Yes, we certainly are not Wal Mart; however if you will take a moment to shop around a few of our dealers, you may find that some are more competitive than others. wink
http://www.4x4groupbuy.com
http://www.4x4rockshop.com
http://www.xterraparts.com
http://www.courtesyparts.com
Posted by: EMT_Diver

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 30/05/03 08:59 PM

Eddie - any thoughts of doing some fab work for those of us that already have aftrmarket bumpers? I have a Calmini rear bumper w/ a tire carrier. I would love to be able to carry 2 Wedco style 5.28gal fuel/gas cans w/ me on my long trips. If you could adapt your current fuel can carrier to this bumper you may have a market for a bunch of us.....just a thought before I start tearing my bumper apart to correct all the flaws of it.

Benjamin. If you need a bumper to play w/ maybe we could work something out....

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 31/05/03 02:38 PM

I hope you decide on Formed steel with wrap arounds instead of the tube style (Would match up better with the front bumper designs avaliable)

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 03/06/03 05:23 PM

Bringing TTT for others to give input....
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 03/06/03 06:19 PM

I'm intereasted, i just had my rear bumper hit and ripped off partly while I was parked. I would like to replace it with a wrap around after market with the insurance money. I wanted to get one anyway and now seems like a good time.
Posted by: NthLJ

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 03/06/03 07:06 PM

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 03/06/03 09:00 PM

Ok I think we may have enough to give it some study. Who would want to lend their X in exchange for a swingaway (if we go ahead on it)? We'd need it possibly 3-4 times over the course of about 3-4 weeks max. We are based out of the Denver Boulder Fort Collins CO area. I need some more ideas, here is the Jeep products page; http://www.jeeperman.com/ please browse and see what we already build if you have not already. Thanks in advance. -Eddie
Posted by: Uzbad

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 03/06/03 09:19 PM

I would without second thought... But its like 7 hrs drive. Bloody mountains 8(
Posted by: XOC

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 03/06/03 09:37 PM

Eddie, you can use mine. I have quite a few ideas.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 04/06/03 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Eddie, you can use mine. I have quite a few ideas.
There you go eddie, I think Ian is thinking along the same lines based on what Ive read in the past on his inputs.
Posted by: Xterra Kid 2003

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 04/06/03 05:57 PM

if you have a hitch mounted spare tire carrier or bike rack are you still able to open the hatch???

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 04/06/03 08:24 PM

I have a RhodeGear hitch mounted bike carrier, and it's designed to fold down when the hatch is opened.

It has nothing to do with an aftermarket bumper design, the hitch receiver will always be in the same place.
Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 04/06/03 10:55 PM

i've been very very very interested in getting a rear tire carrier for the xterra.
if you make it a full wraparound AND it's cheaper, i guarantee you will have a huge market for it. the possibilities in this one forum are pretty decent alone.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 04/06/03 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
i've been very very very interested in getting a rear tire carrier for the xterra.
if you make it a full wraparound AND it's cheaper, i guarantee you will have a huge market for it. the possibilities in this one forum are pretty decent alone.
Of course, it will make it's way around to other forums. And I agree, a full wrap around design is smart.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 05/06/03 07:01 AM

Eddie, I like the price, looks, and how well its built. Hopefully you will be able to meet with Ian soon and get this product ready for shipping! I will one of the first customers to order from you if this works out. smile

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 11/06/03 02:38 AM

wait, so a bumper has already been built?

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 11/06/03 06:30 AM

We build Jeep bumpers under the Jeeperman brand name: http://www.raingler.com/shop/products.asp?catID=28
We are prototyping two steel products specifically for the Xterra at this time, one is a roof rack and the other is rocker protection. More details will follow as soon as possible on this board.
The Xterra parts will be branded as Raingler; no Jeeperman on these products.
Posted by: SkiCalif

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 11/06/03 02:25 PM

I might be in the minority, but I'd like to see a rear bumper WITHOUT the tire carrier.

I'd like to be able to keep the spare in the current location. Possible?

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 11/06/03 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SkiCalif:
I might be in the minority, but I'd like to see a rear bumper WITHOUT the tire carrier.
What purpose would that serve (other than being expensive) ?
Posted by: SkiCalif

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 13/06/03 02:07 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]What purpose would that serve (other than being expensive) ?
For fortification and extraction purposes.

Being "expensive" is not a "purpose". If you mean why would I pay for a steel bumper without the tire carrier, see the reasons above, plus I want to and I have the cash.
[Finger]

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 13/06/03 02:32 PM

Some tow hooks mounted to the frame will offer all the extraction points you need.

CALMINI offered a rear bumper replacement without a tire carrier, and everyone said "No thanks..."
Posted by: CheetaraX

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 14/06/03 09:41 PM

Eddie,

My name is Alan and I am based out of Fort Collins. I would be more than willing to let you use my X for test fitting.

My X's spec's are this:
2002 SC SE Xterra
2" Body Lift
33" TSL's

I feel that any good design should be able to handle stock and the 2" BL vehicles as this is the only way to go to the 33" tires. Let me know

If not I will be going radical with the rear (relocating the vent flappy thing and doing some body work to fab a rap around)

I currently have tons of schedule flexability as long as July 4th weekend I can have it for the RMXC Northern Colorado trip.

Respond to this post if interested and I will email you my contact information.

ALAN KEE
"sparky"

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 19/06/03 11:24 PM

Thanks for the offer Alan. We have begun already on several new products immediately for the Xterras. Based on their market feedback, we will look at making more steel products for the Nissans. Ryan has donated his vehicle for fitment and field testing. We'll keep everyone updated that is interested in these unique products.
Posted by: RckyMtnHi

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 20/06/03 08:00 AM

By the way, since I am fairly new to this site and to my X (only had it a little over a month) I am Ryan [Wave] . Eddie dropped off my rig last night after taking measurements and I got a peek at a roof basket that he had for a Wrangler. If the one for the X is anything like it, you all will be very impressed. I know I am anxious to get my hands on one and beat on it a bit. Should be a couple weeks before there is an update, but I will let you all know.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 20/06/03 09:11 AM

please don't beat the roof rack,(roll it over?) I have a feeling the X won't look quite as nice as it does now. Thanks for being generous with your vehicle for this. Rated you a 5. cool
Posted by: camelback

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 20/06/03 12:11 PM

I've been looking for something like
http://www.arb.com.au/Kaymar_Rear_Bars.htm for my 2001 X. The ability to configure it for 1 or tires and/or jerry cans would be a BIG feature I believe. If you can work this in at the price range you're talking you can count me in. What may be limiting is the largest size tire you can get on. I could be wrong, but if you can work it to carry 2 33"s, I think you'll have most of the Xs covered.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 22/06/03 07:56 PM

Eddie,

I see you offer this for the jeeps, but will your new rear swing bumper carrier for the Xterra have all the options to add accessories like the HiLift mounts, gas can mount, and the rock rack?

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 23/06/03 08:05 PM

That's interesting concept, dual spare tires. We are working on two initial Xterra products and who knows where we will go beyond that, thanks for the suggestions again.
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 23/06/03 08:38 PM

Not sure how you could get two spares on there without severely blocking the taillights or making them stick way out behind the truck. Why would anyone need to carry two spares anyway? Not much chance of blowing out two tires and even if you do you should be wheeling with someone else anyway who would be carrying one.

Would be nice to have the ability to carry two jerry cans. BTW, I hope the plans are to carry the NATO type cans instead of the Blitz crap cans.

Remember though folks that all this stuff weighs a LOT! I have the spare, one jerry can, and a hi-lift hanging off my rear bumper and combined with the weight of the bumper it's pretty hard on the rear springs.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 23/06/03 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie@Raingler.Net:
That's interesting concept, dual spare tires. We are working on two initial Xterra products and who knows where we will go beyond that, thanks for the suggestions again.
I hope one of the two things is the rear bumper.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 23/06/03 10:18 PM

Nope.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 23/06/03 10:48 PM

Rocker Skidz and Roof top rack are the two items we are constructing initially.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 24/06/03 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Not sure how you could get two spares on there without severely blocking the taillights or making them stick way out behind the truck..
Might need to have taillights incorporated as part of the new bumper. This is also a potential issue with both a spare and a Jerry Can back there.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Why would anyone need to carry two spares anyway? Not much chance of blowing out two tires and even if you do you should be wheeling with someone else anyway who would be carrying one...
If you're wheelin' in a small group, the chance of someone having the same tire (size and brand/type) may be pretty small. Some uh, "trails" are prone to puncture wounds and it doesn't hurt to have a pair.

So why do those Frontiers at Baja and Dakar run each leg with THREE spares in their bed? laugh cool wink
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 24/06/03 09:05 AM

They run with 3 spares because there's actually a very good chance they'll need them. How many times has someone here posted about blowing 2 tires on one trip? Probably 3 total.
I can't see a rear carrier being able to support 2 32" or larger tires without being massive and VERY heavy itself, not to mention that's at least 150 lbs. worth of spare tires hanging off the back. Care to buy new rear springs and shocks to go with that too? By the time it's all said and done, it would be pretty expensive to cover the very slim chance of a second blown tire.

Brent
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 24/06/03 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by camelback:
If you're wheelin' in a small group, the chance of someone having the same tire (size and brand/type) may be pretty small.

So why do those Frontiers at Baja and Dakar run each leg with THREE spares in their bed? laugh cool wink
On the average X run, it's not like some guys are running 35s and some guys are running 37s and one guy is running 32s. Most guys are either running 15 inch wheels with 31s and 32s with the rare 33 or a 16 inch wheel with 265/70/16 or 265/75/16 inch tires. The chance of someone having a matching spare in a group of Xs would be pretty good.

As far as three spares? In SCORE and BITD Most if not all fullsize trucks run two spares. Two spares seems to be the standard for desert racing. Generally , the ability to replace a used spare in the pits would negate the need to carry a third. I am not aware of any Frontier running SCORE 7 or 7s this year but I have heard of one running BITD.

Keep in mind that those trucks are running a shock/tire cage to carry their spares that creates more equal distribution of the weight through the entire truck bed since ballance is such an important variable.

I think the idea of some sort of rear bed /tire cage for the X is not too far fetched and might aid in the distribution of weight.

Come to think of it , has anyone other than the storm chaser guy ever caged their X ?

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 25/06/03 02:55 PM

CHILL OUT! Did you guys miss the laugh cool wink ???

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 25/06/03 02:58 PM

Quote:
laugh [Wave] If you need a 2001 to test these on I'M HERE! [Wave] laugh

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 25/06/03 03:12 PM

New Jersey is a little far from Colorado...

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 25/06/03 05:53 PM

Quote:
New Jersey is a little far from Colorado...
There's always UPS et.al. laugh

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 01/07/03 12:10 AM

Quote:
so this thread somewhat pointless then? smile .
j/k. i am kind of disapointed as this thread appeared around the same time i became interested in a rear tire carrier though frown .

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 01/07/03 12:30 AM

So buy one from the manufacturers that are making them...

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 01/07/03 12:43 AM

calmini is the only one, no?
besides it's always interesting to see new parts coming out for a vehicle you love.

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 01/07/03 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
calmini is the only one, no?
No. They are not. There are several options.
Posted by: austinbrtndr

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 01/07/03 07:05 AM

Hey Ian... how are you doing today? seem to be a little upset about something... [Wave]

Re: Raingler Rear Bumper interest - 01/07/03 07:41 PM

Why would you say that ? [Freak]

Someone asked a question, and I answered it...