Yakima-Rocket Box...

Posted by: jwessx

Yakima-Rocket Box... - 27/09/02 08:39 AM

Looking to get a Yakima RocketBox. Does anyone have one? And if so, can you post a picture? They seem very long to put on top of a X.

Thanks,
joe from MN
Posted by: Accasbel

Re: Yakima-Rocket Box... - 29/09/02 02:46 PM

I don't know about the RocketBox, but we succesfully use the SpaceBooster.

take a look here
Posted by: PackRat

Re: Yakima-Rocket Box... - 29/09/02 02:52 PM

Posted by: Xterradon

Re: Yakima-Rocket Box... - 29/09/02 04:25 PM

If you don't want to add another rack system, I found the Nissan box to work out very well. Carried a lot of stuff 5000 scenic miles across the US. And it opens from both sides.
Posted by: Buzzardz

Re: Yakima-Rocket Box... - 03/10/02 05:33 PM

hey !! The rocket box is large!! I put one on this spring for some weekend trips. Had to get new longer Stainless steel screws so the mounts would work with the stock bars. (hardware store, Stainless has whimmpery than carbon steel, but this isn't rocket science). Make sure its far enough forward to clear the tailgate when its open.(or large crunch sound emits) great Increase in cargo capacity, but keep the heavy stuff in the truck, not on the roof. Didn't notice: gas mileage difference or buffering in crosswinds, but hi-speed (above 70-75mph) traveling with a big box on the roof just seems like asking for trouble. Good Luck. All and all I wish I got a smaller one.
Posted by: EnzoXterra

Re: Yakima-Rocket Box... - 04/10/02 05:22 AM

I don't think driving on freeway with cargo boxes will be an issue. I regularly drive on I-40 with up to 4 kayaks strapped on the roof rack. Normal travel speed is 70 - 75mph. Any higher the gas mileage goes to crap. Many of my paddling friends do the same thing. I think four kayaks will have a higher drag than a single Rocketbox.

http://images.fotki.com/v4/photos/3/38275/124445/P6270003-vi.jpg