Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights

Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights - 14/06/02 10:07 AM

Those of you with ARB or TJM bumpers... I should have mine in a short spell, and I already know that I'm gonna rip out those dumb "marker lights" they ship with...

My question is, will the stock fog lights mount up to the SIDE screws? It seems that most lights out there, aftermarket as well - have a little bracket for mounting, and doesn't seem compatible with the cutout/holes on the ARB/TJM bumpers.

The other concern was that the bumpers have a fairly steep angle sweeping back where these lights sit, so the lights would be angled outwards (which is fine with me, since I want fogs in there anyway, and they have about 90 degrees of spread). I was thinking that maybe a small tube, acting as a spacer might serve to straighten the lights out within the opening, even.

Thoughts? Pictures?

EDIT: Anyone with a T15 TJM (if I haven't contacted you already) - could you send me a link to, or actual pictures of your install?
Posted by: Elroy

Re: Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights - 14/06/02 12:14 PM

The stock fog lights are too big to fit in the marker light locations without some cutting.

Caver-X modified his ARB to accomidate the stock fogs as you can see here He also wanted to keep the marker lights.
Posted by: XPLORx4

Re: Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights - 14/06/02 12:25 PM

Here's another link for you to examine to see how well fogs would fit into the turn signals of a T-15.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights - 14/06/02 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elroy:
The stock fog lights are too big to fit in the marker light locations without some cutting.
Correction, they're too big to fit in an ARB bumper's marker light position. They're too small to fit in the TJM marker light position.

The T15 is pretty much identical to the T17, and I have some detailed pictures of the install/mount here:
http://home.us.net/~stimpy/xterra/TJM-T17/

The "bracket_to_bumper" pic shows the back of the marker light. Looks like if you really wanted to it would be a cinch to bolt/tack-weld the brackets for the stock fog to the underside of the top surface of the bumper and they would be pretty much lined up behind the hole. It wouldn't "fill" the hole but would do a decent job of it I would think.

Brent
Posted by: Elroy

Re: Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights - 14/06/02 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Correction, they're too big to fit in an ARB bumper's marker light position. They're too small to fit in the TJM marker light

Brent
Thanks Brent. Sorry about that. I was speaking of the ARB marker light locations.
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Quickie Question on ARB/TJM Marker Lights - 14/06/02 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Looks like if you really wanted to it would be a cinch to bolt/tack-weld the brackets for the stock fog to the underside of the top surface of the bumper and they would be pretty much lined up behind the hole. It wouldn't "fill" the hole but would do a decent job of it I would think.
Yeah, pretty much. I was just looking to see what the options were for swapping out the marker lights for fogs, since I have much more use for the latter than the former... laugh

Looks like no matter what, it'll take a little engineering. I think I might fab a frame that bolts to the bumper's normal location, and provides ample mounting areas for whatever lights I end up using. Maybe something that can be adjusted/swiveled and locked down, etc.