Mapping software

Posted by: NOSUP4U

Mapping software - 19/02/06 08:45 AM

So I'm starting to use my GPS a little more. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista. I can save routes that I drive. Do I need something like the MapSource GPS software to download these to my computer and edit them? Any freeware versions that anyone uses?

Thanks!
Mark
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Mapping software - 19/02/06 09:38 AM

Hi Mark,

I have several GPS units, including an Etrex Legend. Similar to yours, but has a smaller memory (8MB).

You could load Garmin's City Select software, but it takes up HUGE amounts of memory. You won't be able to load a usable amount in only 24 MB of space. These maps would be routable. This works great in my iQue 3600, which has an external memory card. I have no space limitations with that model.

For the Legend, and your Vista, I recommend Garmin's Roads & Rec CD and the Topo set. These maps are SMALL. They are not routable. They don't have the data necessary to allow the GPS to calculate routes, but you can manually create your own (PITA). If you just select "GO TO", it'll create a rubberband line between where you are, and where you're headed. This does work, but the screen is really too small for serious navigation unless you hand it to your co-pilot. I did use this method for a while before getting the iQue, which has an easy to see display.

The good news is the software can be had a great deal. The two programs I suggested don't require a registration key. The software can be purchased from Ebay, "evaluated", then resold for about what you paid for it. wink
Posted by: NOSUP4U

Re: Mapping software - 19/02/06 09:42 AM

Ahh, sounds good. Really I'm just looking for something that allows me to download routes that I've driven, save them, and then reload them when I want to drive them again.

For instance, I just drove Box Canyon this weekend and saved the route. I'd like to keep this, and then download it to my Garmin again when I want to drive it again.

Any suggestions on the most efficent way to do this? (meaning, do I HAVE to use some mapping software, or is there some cheapy program out there that does this?)

Thanks!
Posted by: Accasbel

Re: Mapping software - 19/02/06 09:49 AM

Here is a shareware, TOPOFUSION . I personally have never used it, but have heard good things.

Magellan, DeLorme, Maptech, and several others sell mapping software programs that'll read your GPS, save the data, and pipe it back in. I use Maptech, but it is by no means cheap or free.

Re: Mapping software - 19/02/06 09:53 AM

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/32687

This is a freeware program i found on one of my favorite program sites. i dont know if this is what you are looking for though, since i dont have a GPS reciever. other sites to search are www.tucows.com and www.download.com and www.versiontracker.com

Re: Mapping software - 19/02/06 09:57 AM

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/32687
http://www.download.com/EasyGPS/3000-2130_4-6278250.html?tag=lst-0-2

These are freeware programs i found on my favorite program sites. i dont know if this is what you are looking for though, since i dont have a GPS reciever. other sites to search are www.tucows.com and www.download.com and www.versiontracker.com