Winch bumper - up on www site

Posted by: Shrock

Winch bumper - up on www site - 17/12/03 06:44 PM

It's finally up on the www site with all the details/info/pricing.

The powder coated pics are still the old ones with the slightly wider corners until I get some new ones to post.

http://www.shrockworks.com/nisbumper.htm

For those of you waiting patiently, most of the backlog is at the powder coater right now.

Jim
Posted by: DaFRIDGE

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 19/12/03 01:08 AM

couple questions:
i'll be shopping for front and rear bumpers when i get my tax return.

1. when do you plan on a skid plate for your front bumper?
2. how much to ship to vegas, 89052
3. are you starting rear bumper soon? if so any detals?

thanks!!!
Merry Christmas!!
Front bumper is sweet!!!
Posted by: xterran01

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/12/03 10:03 PM

We took a load of new pix of my 2000 with a shiny new (powdercoated this time) Shrockworks bumper installed. Hopefully Jim can post some soon. I can tell you I thought my ARB looked good, but the SW bumper is just flat awesome! I'll have some pictures available myself after I get back from Big Bend.

Merry Xmas to everybody at XOC!!

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 08:34 AM

DaFRIDGE,

not sure when on the the skid plate or rear bumper, about 2-3 months I'd guess. I'll email you a shipping quote.

A couple pics with the powder coat:

Posted by: PoorBoy

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 09:46 AM

What are the odds that the 2000 version would fit on a 2002+ ? I really like the way it looks on the 2000 models... but just don't really care as much for the 2002+ version...
Posted by: XOC

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 01:41 PM

That question doesn't make sense. Cosmetically, they are the same.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 02:11 PM

Actually, the 2002 up model has a slightly different tubing configuration to accommodate the different headlight, hood and grille configuration. The base parts (i.e. the actual bumper, frame mounts and side "wings") are identical. The tubing sections are shaped essentially the same, but the whole upper guard assembly is a bit taller.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 02:21 PM

The only difference b/t the 2000 and 2002 versions is that the tube is shorter. The hood on the newer style is taller. The change makes both of them sit at the same height on the hood.

The pics of the '02 on the www site right are the prototype and have the corners a little wider than the final version though. They will be swapped out soon. Here are some pics of an '02 with the final version of the bumper.

Jim
Posted by: PoorBoy

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 02:55 PM

Ahh, had forgotten that the other pictures were the prototype. Just weighing my options. I know that the differences are slight... was just curious.
Are the pictures of the 2002 X of 2 different bumpers? The 2nd picture has the opening in the front for the winch, the 1st and 3rd pics don't appear to.
Looks like you have a great porduct there, may get one down the line.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 22/12/03 03:05 PM

No just a little photo choping. I forgot to bring a lisc plate or a fairlead for the pics (argh!), so I just chopped out the hole in a couple of them.
Posted by: TJ

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 01/01/04 10:21 AM

Jim -

I will be replacing front and rear bumpers in the Spring (Living w/damage until then...)

I plan on getting your front bumper...and Rails, but I need a rear w/tire carrier too.

I can get the Teraflex version or Calmini., etc...but, all of the current crop of rear bumper clones just replace the center bumper area, and do not provide any wrap-around protection.

If you are the first to figure out how to make a rear bumper that wraps/reaches the sides too, as the front does, so a bit of roll-over/side corner protection is available...I will wait for your rear in development w/o hesitation.

If your new rear is a clone of the others...waiting may not be worth it.

So - Are you going to be the first to figure it out?

smile
Posted by: Snoopy

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 02/01/04 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
So - Are you going to be the first to figure it out?
CALMINIs first rear bumper had a wrap around style but most said it destroyed the lines of the Xterra's rear as well as increasing the cost significantly.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 04/01/04 09:20 AM

So - If it destroys the lines and costs too much, you count that as figured out?

Actually - The lines are pretty boring really, its not like destroying the Sistine Chapel fer Chrissakes...

A good design is going to compliment / not fight the existing lines, be affordable, and actually function as an effective bumper.

I think someone can figure it out.

I think that someone might be Jim.

smile

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 04/01/04 10:11 AM

Well I promise to try, how's that. laugh

Coming up with something that looks good and doesnt cost a fortune will be the trick.
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 04/01/04 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
So - If it destroys the lines and costs too much, you count that as figured out?

Actually - The lines are pretty boring really, its not like destroying the Sistine Chapel fer Chrissakes...

A good design is going to compliment / not fight the existing lines, be affordable, and actually function as an effective bumper.

I think someone can figure it out.

I think that someone might be Jim.

smile
AND figure out how you can tie the bumperette covers into the frame if your going to "wrap" the rear bumper? You will have to cut some body panels to reinforce them to the frame! you better peak your heed inside that rear wheel well to see what is involved!

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 05/01/04 08:48 AM

I think there are other ways to have the rear bumper extend to the side far enough to protect the corners besides becoming part of the fenders. The bumper end covers are not beautiful...obscurring, trimming, or removing them is not a crime. Mine are already trashed anyway.

I primarily would like to be able to bang the corners and or lay the beast over with corner protection to minimize overall damage.

Is that so wrong?

smile
Posted by: Mapman

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 14/01/04 10:18 AM

IT'S HERE! smile

As of right now it's at my wifes office, she said it's HUGE with all the packing on it and she's going to snap a few photos. I'll post them up as soon as possible, the earliest being tonight! I have no idea when I'll get a chance to install it, probably this weekend or the next... I'll keep you all updated!

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 14/01/04 10:54 AM

Cool, bring a socket wrench and a BFH or a pry par if you need to get it off the pallet.

Jim

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 14/01/04 08:21 PM

Here's a link to the picture of the pallete and bumper, I can't get the image to work so a link is all I can offer....

Click Here

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 15/01/04 04:13 AM

BTW - What's the weight of the stock front bumper that the new one is replacing?

Just figuring out the difference in front end weight once its installed.

Congratulations on the new baby!

smile

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 15/01/04 08:08 AM

I don't personally know what the weight of either of them are. I seem to remember in past discussions there being a 50-100 pound difference, but don't qoute me on that!
Your best bet if no ones posts the weight is doing a search...

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 15/01/04 11:01 AM

Our bumper is 109lbs. It guess the factory stuff at about 20lbs. I had the bumper on and off numerous times and couldnt tell any fifference in the way the truck rode or braked. It's really not much considering the truck weighs 4000 lbs.
Posted by: Lincoln

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 18/01/04 02:49 PM

Hey Jim,

Well, I am finally in the market for a bumper. Yours looks good, is functional, and it is probably what I will go with. I did have one question:

When it says that it is optional without the top bar, are you saying that the headlight guards are gone also? Basically looking like a TJM T17? Also, if you could e-mail me a shipping quote to 53121, Wisconsin. Thanks for your help....looking forward to purchasing one of your bumpers.
Posted by: Close1

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 19/01/04 08:20 AM

Jim I second that. Shipping to to wisconsin for 2 of them! Except I would be interested in one with the top bars

lincolnnellie- maybe we could meet somewhere! put them on and go wheelin!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 19/01/04 10:37 AM

How much weight can the front hooks handle? And also could you email me the cost of shipping to 84020. Thanks

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/01/04 08:48 AM

lincolnnellie - The board wouldn't let me email you. Freight to you would be $146.00. This assumes shipping to a business address or you picking it up at the freight terminal.

The no tube option mentioned on the site would be for no tube at all on top. We could leave the center hoop if someone wanted it that way though.

Close1 - I need your zip to do an exact quote, but it will probably be the same amount since you are both in WI.

KHAKI X - The front hooks are 3/8" plate steel. They are welded to the bumper and bolted to the frame. They will handle whatever you want to throw at them. I emailed you a shipping quote.

Jim

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/01/04 10:22 AM

Thanks for the quick response Jim. Now I need to look for the best price, order it, put it on, then we are ready to rock!

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/01/04 12:41 PM

I plan to attempt to install the new bumper this Saturday, with my Father-In-Laws help of course, seeing as he has all the tools! I will try to take as many photos as I can, but I tend to forget in the excitment of doing the work! I'll also try to remember to do some measuring to see if there is any significant drop in the front end after the new bumper is installed!

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/01/04 04:21 PM

Cool, If you have any questions during the install. Call me any time.

Jim

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/01/04 06:07 PM

Lets get some pics going... [ThumbsUp]

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 24/01/04 11:21 AM

Here are some pics of my new Shrockworks bumper in a more, uh, appropriate environment - Big Bend National Park. A great way to spend Christmas!

click here for album
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 24/01/04 11:44 AM

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 24/01/04 07:24 PM

Crap! Sorry - I'll get this one of these days...Try again - I made the album open to public.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 25/01/04 08:09 AM

Ok it's on, I need to get all the photos copied over to the computer and posted up on the web, I'll try and get that done by the end of the day.

-Erik

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 25/01/04 03:53 PM

First off, once I got the bumper installed I measured only a half inch drop in the front end, but I also have the 20% stiffer Bilsteins installed, so it could be more for someone with stock shocks?

So here is a link to the photos I promised, not as scenic as xterran1, but I live near Chicago, so salt and snow is all you get. Sorry I am not linking them straight to this site, but I am too tired to re-type everything. Also before you say anything, yes it is slightly off angle, I didn't notice it until I got home, so it'll just have to wait till later to get adjusted.
CLICK HERE
Posted by: pinoy

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 25/01/04 07:40 PM

Eric,
That looks great! I just might have to add that on to my ever growing list of mods.
BTW, the shocks should have nothing to do with the ride height. That's the job of the torsion bars, shocks are for recoil, bounce. Anyway nice pics. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 25/01/04 07:50 PM

I figured I should mention it either way. A crank in the stock torsion bars might be a necessity for the short term, but better torsion bars, and a skid plate for the bumper are my next items.

Jim, when are you going to start on a skid plate that works with your bumper??? laugh
Posted by: Xtracurricular

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 25/01/04 08:23 PM

Quote:
I think there are other ways to have the rear bumper extend to the side far enough to protect the corners besides becoming part of the fenders. The bumper end covers are not beautiful...obscurring, trimming, or removing them is not a crime. Mine are already trashed anyway.

I primarily would like to be able to bang the corners and or lay the beast over with corner protection to minimize overall damage.

Is that so wrong?
I saw these and thought of this post...

http://ultra.litpixel.com:90/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=6735#6735

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 26/01/04 02:47 AM

I had to readjust my torsion bars after I installed my first bumper (ARB) and winch. You will really notice a front end drop when you hang a winch out there along with the bumper. Didn't have to readjust after I swapped out for the Shrockworks bumper since the weights are fairly close. I haven't noticed any problems thus far with keeping the stock bars but I've considered upgrading to the HD ones.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 26/01/04 04:29 AM

Xtracurricular -

You have a good eye.

smile

Yes, that's the kind of approach I'd like to see...functional and clean.
Posted by: pinoy

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 26/01/04 05:16 PM

I like those clevis/shackles that he has on the front bumper, they allow for recovery from all sorts of angles.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 26/01/04 07:33 PM

Swivel rings are cool. They're about $120 piece though.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 30/01/04 07:10 PM

Expensive clevis hooks aside, Shrock, when are you going to start the plans for something with that kind of side protection and departure angle with an integrated 2" receiver? You have done such fine work so far, so I figure you are our best bet. Calmini made a good effort, but offers no side protection for the rear quarter panels. I have seen models for SUVs from trail-ready, but think they are overkill. I like the simplicity of the link the best so far. I would think a rear bumper would be far less complicated, but I have never actually made one so what do I know?

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 30/01/04 07:28 PM

A wrap around rear for the Xterra would be more complex. That piece of plastic it will replace is big and oddly shaped.

Tire carriers may not look like much but they are very complex from a manufacturing standpoint and have many many pieces and parts involved, some of which are fairly pricey.

I could see a wrap around rear with a tire carrier going well over $1000, but I havent looked into it enough to do anything more than guess. I am planning to though, so dont write off the possibilty yet!

PS - that Disco bumper you posted is $1525 as pictured W/O a tire carrier! eek

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 31/01/04 05:24 PM

$1500, holy @#$%!

I have seen some succesfull attempts for jeeps with a 3 piece system. A center piece that bolts to the frame rails, and two side pieces that bolt to the ends and protect the rockers. You have the option of buying just the main, then you can upgrade as budget allows. Here is a link, but the end caps are not shown. It does have some usefull info though. Click on the "more info" under the blackfoot bumper. Note: it requires a flash plug in.

http://aev-conversions.com/ssi/osb/showitem.cfm?&Description=x?xj

I like the integrated hitch and its subsequent departure. Also, note this is for a unibody, so it should be less complex and require fewer mounting points for our vehicle. Just some neat ideas that I hope might help you when you're brainstorming for your design.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 01/03/04 02:37 PM

Hey Jim I've got a quick question for you....

Over the weekend while trying to cram 3 vehicles onto my driveway, my wife and friend while spotting the gap between cars said that when I pulled into the driveway the bumper creaked or made some kind of noise when I hit the curb. I haven't heard it so I can't describe it at all! Is this normal or could it be something else they heard? My thinking is that it probably is the torsion bars, but they said it was the bumber so I figured I'd check with you....Thanks
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 01/03/04 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EAP:
...when I pulled into the driveway the bumper creaked or made some kind of noise when I hit the curb. ... Is this normal or could it be something else they heard?...
Without being there to see it, I'm gonna guess it's not your bumper unless it's visually rubbing something, or 1/437th of an inch from the fenders somewhere.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 01/03/04 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx:
I'm gonna guess it's not your bumper unless it's visually rubbing something, or 1/437th of an inch from the fenders somewhere.
My ARB has almost 3/4 inch of clearance and rubs easily when the frame gets flexed. Any bumper will rub if you flex the Xterra enough.
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 01/03/04 06:14 PM

Agreed, Ian. I should have said "especially" if it's yada yada small fractions of an inch away.

Yep - my back hatch won't open and close properly if I'm parked with the ass-end flexed even a little bit.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 01/03/04 09:07 PM

EAP,

The bumper itself isn't be capable of making a squeaking sound. I wouldnt worry about it, especially if you cant hear it inside. As others have said, it could possible be rubbing on something, but unless they have laser hearing, it could be anything in the front end.

Jim

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 02/03/04 05:26 AM

Thanks Jim, and to who else responded. I don't think it's rubbing, and I didn't truly think it was the bumper, but I figured I was better off at least asking.

Thanks,
Erik
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 16/07/04 07:42 AM

Yo Jim, FYI, the /nisbumper.htm link you put in the beginning of this thread isn't something that you can navigate to within your site. If I go to Products, then Nissan, I get links to sliders, skidplates, In Development (where the bumper is mentioned), and Reviews. Might want to update that...

Brent

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 16/07/04 08:17 AM

wow, looks like something broke. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 19/07/04 06:34 AM

Jim, what do you do with the factory installed foglights and side marker lamps with your bumper? Do you just tie off those wires somewhere? Is it possible to remount the factory foglights, or must you mount aftermarket foglights using factory wiring?

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 19/07/04 06:58 AM

Yeah, just tie off the wiring. I have seen some pics of people re-using their factory fogs as rock lights.

Re: Winch bumper - up on www site - 21/07/04 01:15 PM

You can use the wiring for aftermarket lights mounted on the bumper or just zip tie it off.

It makes it very easy to install lights since you can use the factory switch and all.