Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible?

Posted by: yellowX

Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 13/02/01 07:38 PM

To all knowledgable mechanics and Off-road custom folks out there:

Is it possible to modify an existing 2WD Xterra into a 4WD Xterra? If possible, is it legal? .....or, is it just better to
trade it in for a 4x4 version instead?

yellowX

------------------
Posted by: dogslovetrucks

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 13/02/01 07:51 PM

Trade in and buy a 4x4.
Posted by: Ag_xterra

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 13/02/01 08:16 PM

it should be possible to convert but difficult and costly. all things considered it would be much easier and probably cheaper to just trade it in on a 4wd. just my opinion.

------------------
Silver Ice Xterra Xe
4x4 auto 3pk
Posted by: number41

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 14/02/01 10:50 AM

Dont bother, If you traded it in for a 4x4 you would actually save about $1000 or so and you would have a nice warranty to cover your parts for a while.

------------------
Xavier
"I said, Reading is GOOD, can we start the story now?" smile
Posted by: wqbang

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 14/02/01 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by number41:
Dont bother, If you traded it in for a 4x4 you would actually save about $1000 or so and you would have a nice warranty to cover your parts for a while.

It is quite possible for the cost to greatly exceed that figure. Probably $3000+ savings since the use Xterra market is pretty hot right now.

------------------
:wq!
wqbang@southeastxterraclub.org
Posted by: XOC

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 14/02/01 03:31 PM

Considering any conversion would void your entire warranty, you could do a solid axle swap, and end up with the most capable Xterra on the planet.

Expect to spend about $10,000 doing it.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: yellowX

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 14/02/01 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Considering any conversion would void your entire warranty, you could do a solid axle swap, and end up with the most capable Xterra on the planet.

To all that have responded to my Post:
Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I am having such a great time with my 2WD that it has grown on me. So much so that I do not even want to drive my Dad's old Dodge Van anymore. With the 2002 models coming out in August, I might just hold off a while in trading it in for a 4x4 until the new X models roll out.

yellowX

------------------
Posted by: swampwrecker

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 15/02/01 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

I'm hoping that $10,000 you quoted would include converting from 4x2 to 4x4.

If you're willing to pay $10,000 for a solid axle swap then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you!

That figure is way too high! The most expensive part would be the axle, even if you bought it brand spanking new with a differential you still wouldn't be paying $10,000!

Talking with the guys from nissan-offroad.com they estimate the swap to be considerably cheaper! I don't recall their estimate, we talked back in September, but it was definitely under $5000.

------------------
Michael Girardo
Member - MAXC | Moderator - XOC
www.avaloninternet.net/users/bythebay/xterra <---Redesigned

[This message has been edited by swampwrecker (edited 02-15-2001).]
Posted by: XOC

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 15/02/01 10:33 AM

That price is for a complete 2WD to 4X4 conversion with solid axle.

The axle alone will set you back $2000 for a good Dana unit in working order. Then you have to get brakes working with the factory items. Then new wheels, which won't match the rear, so you need new hubs with the same bolt pattern instead. Then getting the ABS working, or discarded. Then steering components need to be modified or replaced.
Then you get the fun part of finding a transfer case.

That also includes labor and design, which would easily be 50+ hours at $50/hour.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: rob in Austin

Re: Upgrading 2WD to 4WD Possible? - 16/02/01 03:19 PM

yellowX:

As mentioned before (ad nauseum), I traded up and felt I got a sweet deal. Don't know that you NEED 4WD in A-Town, unless you're looking for some weekend climbing in the hill country or something. I love Austin - Say Hi to Emma for me. late.

------------------