Towing Capacity

Posted by: Anonymous

Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 11:41 AM

I just purchased an '04 XE 4x4 with towing package and automatic. Rated towing capacity is 5,000 lb. I am hoping to tow a 4,500 lb boat on an 800 lb trailer, and wondered if the Calmini add-a -leaf and HD torsion bars would be sufficient. It's a tandem axle trailer w/ brakes and a fairly light tongue weight (350 lbs). I appreciate any help. [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 12:02 PM

If the tongue weight is reasonable, you shouldn't need anything. If the tongue weight were on the heavy side, an equalizer system is the better solution that won't screw up your ride when you're not towing.
If you're going to invest in anything, go for a transmission cooler. Better shocks might be worth looking into as well.

Whereabouts in MD are ya?

Brent

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 12:10 PM

Thanks.. I'm in Gaithersburg and just looking to tow to Annapolis (60 miles) or Ocean City (160 miles) a couple times each season. Pretty flat towing except the bay bridge. Where are you?
Posted by: BlueXU

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 12:43 PM

I would recommend the calmini add-a-leaf and Billstein 10% stiffer shocks. Not because it's totally necessary, but the stock shocks are junk and the add-a-leaf is a very nice addition. As for the T-bars, I wouldn't change 'em because it'll just make your front end hard as hell and you aren't carrying any more weight in the front to warrant the stiffer spring rate. Now if you install an ARB bumper and a winch, the T-bars would help. If you do install the calmini add-a-leaf, I recommend removing the rear sway bar. Most pickups don't have one, the reason they put one in the X is because of the soft rear suspension. I did the above recommended mods on my truck, and I like the ride much better.
As for towing capacity, I towed a '80 something volvo on one of those U-haul dollies (I think the total was ~5000 lb) with no difficulty at all. They have a factor of safety on the towing capacity number, you'll be fine.

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 12:57 PM

I'm in Columbia. You planning on taking yours off-road anytime?

The AALs and shocks may offer an improved ride, but they aren't needed strictly for towing.
I've got 20% stiffer Bilsteins w/ an otherwise stock suspension and I find the ride pretty jittery at times. As I add weight in the form of accessories or cargo, the ride improves. I'll be adding SLR AALs sometime in the next few months. Hadn't really been intent on it, but I got a used set for a song.

Brent

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 01:55 PM

Thanks... I appreciate the information. I think I'll go with the calmini AAL with stiffer billstein shocks and keep the stock t-bars. Should I crank the original torsion bars to level the truck?

Brent- I do a LOT of beach wheeling in the Outer Banks, NC. Please let me know if you have any local outtings planned that a stock truck could handle.

Thanks again for the great info.

Pat
Posted by: XOC

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 03:08 PM

I would recommend not installing add-a-leaves unless you plan on installing an entire lift kit. A 350 lb. tongue weight is nothing for the Xterra to handle.

Leave the sway bar on, removing it decreases ride quality and handling, and should only be done if your vehicle spends the majority of its time off-road.

Leave the torsion bars alone unless you plan on replacing the steering within a year.
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Towing Capacity - 11/02/04 04:25 PM

Actually, I would say that if you're going to be towing AND carrying stuff int he truck the AAL's are probably a good idea. I'd keep the load leaves, swaybar, etc of course. If you will only be towing the boat with no additional weight in back then you should be fine without them.

FWIW, it seems like I get a bit more bounce in the back of my truck when towing with the AAL's and shackles (2000 - 2500 lb boat and trailer). Of course with a very big Yamaha motor hanging off the boat I expect some, but it seems like it is more than I had before the lift. I don't run load leaves though and have a good amount of travel. I also have to use a 9" drop hitch insert (should be 10", but couldn't find one!), so that doesn't help towing.

Re: Towing Capacity - 12/02/04 09:31 AM

I think a safe bet would be to do nothing, tow a couple of times and see what you think of it, and purchase parts accordingly if you find you aren't satisfied. Anyone else think that's a good approach? He's not exceeding the specs of the vehicle, one would assume it will perform reasonably well with no mods.

Poolman, send me an email.

Brent