No more concern for the 2WD?

Posted by: Angelo

No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 09:54 AM

As of today, 11/6, there has not been a post in the 2WD topic folder in nearly two weeks... either everyone has decided not to discuss 4X2 Xterras anymore, or all the action has shifted to some new forum of which I am unaware. [Uh Oh !]

laugh Well perhaps I can rekindle some interest in 2WD discussion... umm, I bought a 2002 SE 2WD model of my own last June, and of course I have had my share of taunts regarding the lack of 4WD, and/or my decision opting out of it. Supposedly having an SUV without 4X4 capabilities defeats the purpose of actually having an SUV. But oh well, I seem to be able to live without it, and still enjoy driving my Xterra smile

I should hope that everyone else with a 2WD is pleased with their Xterras... pleased enough that they would still be able to reinstate activity in the currently [Sleep] 2WD Forum.
Posted by: Todrick

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 10:25 AM

i love my 2wd...

but this forum will always be pretty slow just because the number of Xterra owners who are enthusiastic about there X's is limited... and the number of those who own a 2wd is even more limited, and then theres the fact that most 2wd issues are really xterra issues in general and they get covered in other forums. there is however, from time to time, topics that land in here.

oh yeah, and just to avoid that whole 4x4 vs. 4x2 debate... most stuff just goes over Here
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 10:52 AM

I avoid discussing 4x2-specific topics because of the almost assured trolling from 4x4 owners.

Don't need to hear it.

-How can I get more performance from my 4x2?
"Get a 4-wheel-drive!!"

-What kind of tires will offer maximum grip?
"Who cares? It's not even a 4-wheel-drive!!"

-Can anyone suggest good places to take my 2wd to enjoy some light offroading?
"SHUT UP! Get a freakin' 4-wheel-drive!!"

[Freak]

Who needs it?
Posted by: XOC

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 11:46 AM

Wait a few more days, the "Street" section will be opening. There are more 2WD Xterras on the roads than 4WD, and XOC will have a section just for non-4 wheeling information.
Parts of it will also pertain to 4WD Xterras, since they spend a majority of their time on pavement.

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 12:01 PM

right i kinda figured... once the new section opens i assume membership will increase... but im really not that much different than you, im not to interested in "street" so most of the 2wd owners it does attract will likely be uninterested in anything i have to say
Posted by: LAXterra

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelo:
As of today, 11/6, there has not been a post in the 2WD topic folder in nearly two weeks... either everyone has decided not to discuss 4X2 Xterras anymore, or all the action has shifted to some new forum of which I am unaware. ...I should hope that everyone else with a 2WD is pleased with their Xterras... pleased enough that they would still be able to reinstate activity in the currently [Sleep] 2WD Forum.
Well the below topic about a trip to Death Valley was probably moved from here (2WD) to its current location here:

Xterra Owners Club>> Regional Club Discussion>>Southern California Club Xterra>>Topic: How many?

Angelo you are "From: California (Bay to L.A.)"... this would be a great trip for you. smile

Xterra Owners Club>>Regional Club Discus...8 to 11/10/2002

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra_canuck:
-Can anyone suggest good places to take my 2wd to enjoy some light offroading?
"SHUT UP! Get a freakin' 4-wheel-drive!!"
Well the above mentioned location would be great. wink
From your profile homepage listing I figured you maybe from Wasington State University Pullman? I would say join PNWX but they say you "Must own an Xterra 4x4" frown

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 12:43 PM

wow thanks LAX.... i completely forgot that i had moved that topic.
Posted by: aguila777

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 02:32 PM

I would love to find out more about what people are doing with their 2wd's, but I've also noticed that not a whole lot of people are in here. I'm proud of the fact I got my X. Even if it were considered wimpy just because it's not a S/C V6 4x4. I work 32miles from home, and don't feel like filling up my tank every other day, so I'm happy with my little 2x4 peewee 4cyl, and from what I understand, I can still have quite a bit of offroading fun with it. Come on people, where all the 2wd owners at?
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LAXterra:
From your profile homepage listing I figured you maybe from Wasington State University Pullman? I would say join PNWX but they say you "Must own an Xterra 4x4" frown
laugh
Hee hee, yeah, not from WSU . . . I think I drove near there once . . .

I use that home page because I can't stand all the little (common) English errors everyone makes. Thought it would be a good homepage . . .

PNWX really discriminates against 2wd Xterras? I didn't realize . . . eek
Posted by: Mike Velazquez

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 06/11/02 08:44 PM

Quote:

I should hope that everyone else with a 2WD is pleased with their Xterras...
Hey Angelo: I just LOVE my 4 X 2 My story is I had a 92 Toyota Extra cab 4 X 4 with some after market downey offroad parts. At the time a couple of my partners and I rode quads. I did not really use the 4 X 4 that much. I bought my X before I knew about XOC or SCCX. If I knew what I know now I would of bought a 4 X 4. But I do LOVE MY 4 X 2 laugh [Wave]
Posted by: Metalikat3003

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 07/11/02 07:31 AM

I love my 2wd, and I love to take it off road. But I must say my next vehicle will either be a LandRover 4wd, Hummer, Hummer2, or a Subaru WRX mod to a rally edition, also in mind is the Frontier 4wd. But thats just dreaming at this point. I will say though that though having a 4wd would be nice, people are impressed when I take my 2wd X off road, they say that they are surprised when they see how much the X can take and handle for a 2wd. Thats my story.
Posted by: PhotoScout

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 07/11/02 03:10 PM

I don't need the 4WD - I drive mostly street and freeway for work -

I guess people have a lot of time on their hands, or are too bloody lazy to hike on their foot.... laugh

As long as I can throw my golf clubs back there with a bunch of other people's, I couldn't care less. I spend enough time driving ALL DAY LONG as it is.

I have fun with it on the street. Never have to clean the dirt off or anything like that either! [Finger]
May be mine will last longer because of that!
Posted by: huevos

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 07/11/02 06:38 PM

I tried but my post got moved [Crybaby] ..I take her out when ever the wifee is not around, yes I have gotten stuck but isn't that part of offroading [LOL] ....love our 2WD X [Spit]
Posted by: ashleynatlanta

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 08/11/02 10:08 AM

I am probably the rarest of all 2wd Xterra owners: I got rid of my 4x4 Xterra in favor of a 2wd. It was just going to waste. I realized that the "wheeling" I do consists of driving up a fire-road to get to the trail head of a mountain bike trail.

Most 2 by fo's can get that done.

But I am all about mods to the X. And I love the community of people who tend to drive the truck. Most cases, we share more than just the vehicle we drive.
Posted by: CDXX

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 08/11/02 08:24 PM

I love my 4 banger. It's everything I need and nothing I don't. I consistantly average 21mpg in mixed driving and have gotten 24mpg on the highway. Even without an LSD I've had no problems in the winter even with my stock Long Trails.
Posted by: Bamrak

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 09/11/02 10:28 AM

I love my 4x2. I just haven't found the reasoning behind 4x4 for the amount of snow we get in Tennessee. If we want to 4x4 we can always find an old jeep or something for offroading for under $2000, and the X won't get scratched! smile
Posted by: OnlyOneDR

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 10/11/02 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDXX:
I love my 4 banger. It's everything I need and nothing I don't. I consistantly average 21mpg in mixed driving and have gotten 24mpg on the highway. Even without an LSD I've had no problems in the winter even with my stock Long Trails.
Whoa. That sounded TOO familiar. You throwing ads for Nissan?

I'll throw in a word here. I love my 4x2 Frontier. I'd hate her if she wasn't a DR though. And when the time is right, the 4x4 will arrive!
Posted by: KevinNC

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 11/11/02 05:41 AM

LOVE my 4x2!!! Here's a quote from my 50 something mother who does exteme (many, many miles, camp, many, many miles back) hiking..."4x4's tear up the woods, get your lazy ass out of the truck and hike"!!!! She uses her 02 2wd XE to carry her and friends plus gear to hiking destination. Parks it on the side of the road and disappears for a few days. Much to my amazement the "X" is ok (not broken into, stolen) when she returns. With the "huge" :rolleyes: amount of snow here in NC my LSD is plenty capable. I just love my "X" and would not want to tear something up every weekend "rockcrawling"! laugh Backroads in the mtns. are handled just fine and I don't have to drive across a tree, rock, deep mud, to enjoy my "X"!!! Hmmm....I can go fishing, hunting, hiking, pull boat, without 4x4...imagine that!!! Plus my sweet "X" stays looking NEW without scratches, dents, and dings! If I did want to go tear up a 4x4 in the woods then I could find something much, much, MUCH less than $20K plus!!! laugh
Posted by: R&R LOPEZ

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 12/11/02 07:24 AM

I Love my X I take it out with all the others 4X4's and they don't care if I'm a 4x2 all they say is don't worry we will get you out! we all have tow straps laugh Just this weekend 10 Nov 02 myself and 5 other members wen't out and did some offroading and my X had no problem in going where ever they went. but I did had to eventally park it cuz it go to steep for my X but who cares I still had fun with my X
Posted by: Angelo

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 12/11/02 08:32 AM

Hmm, hearing others talk about dents and bumps caused by offroading seems to make me second guess myself about going offroad. My X is barely 5 months old, I don't really want to scratch it up yet, if ever...

nevertheless it seems I would do offroading, perhaps for the sake of enjoying the scenery around me rather than trampling the earth below me... or does that defeat the purpose of going off road?

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 12/11/02 08:43 AM

angelo, that IS the purpose of off-roading
Posted by: Gator Saver

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 12/11/02 06:43 PM

i love my 4x2 smile
Posted by: aguila777

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 13/11/02 02:04 PM

Hey, angelo. I'm with todrick on that one. What good is an offroad vehicle if it doesn't go offroad? I'm looking forward to my first battle scars. So much more to see off the beaten path.
Posted by: R&R LOPEZ

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 13/11/02 03:12 PM

You big baby I took mine out when it was 1 month old get over it and get you X dirty you'll love it I don't have to so hardcore stuff just enough to enjoy your X

Quote:
Hmm, hearing others talk about dents and bumps caused by offroading seems to make me second guess myself about going offroad. My X is barely 5 months old, I don't really want to scratch it up yet, if ever...

nevertheless it seems I would do offroading, perhaps for the sake of enjoying the scenery around me rather than trampling the earth below me... or does that defeat the purpose of going off road?
Posted by: x fan

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 13/11/02 09:06 PM

All I can say is I love my 2wd X.
It has enough cargo room to carry everything I want and with LSD, I've had no problems... yet.
I like off roading but not to a point where I'm going to tear up my baby. If I get stuck, no prob. My friends will get me out. Simple as that.
On top of which, clean X is a chick magnet!
2wd X rocks. 'nuff said.
Posted by: ned946

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 13/11/02 09:19 PM

Just an opinion here......
I see that the X may have another locker option other than ARB. I really do feel that if a 2wd had a locker, it would be very close to a 4x4 in its wheeling capability. Just food for thought! eek

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 13/11/02 11:14 PM

you know im with you ned... its on my list... but then again what isn't smile
Posted by: XOC

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
I really do feel that if a 2wd had a locker, it would be very close to a 4x4 in its wheeling capability. Just food for thought! eek
Not even close.
Having traction 104 inches apart makes a huge difference.

I have seen 2WD trucks with rear lockers or spools fail to get up stuff that 4WDs drove up without even spinning a tire.
Posted by: Cygnus-X1

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
angelo, that IS the purpose of off-roading
What is????

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 11:30 AM

Quote:
...I would do offroading, perhaps for the sake of enjoying the scenery around me rather than trampling the earth below me... or does that defeat the purpose of going off road?
for the sake of enjoying the scenery around me
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 11:51 AM

Quote:
Damage is a fact of life if you offroad. Each person has to decide for themselves that the risk is worth it. I had scratches within a month and at 3 months I crunched the driver side rear door and quarter panel on a tree. My girlfriend was shocked I wasn't pissed about it. I found 4 new dents after washing the truck this weekend. I'm just glad I have yellow, so the scratches don't show as well as they do on black.
Posted by: tweeder

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 03:49 PM

I just baught my 4x2 and i love it. I have already ordered the fabtech lift kit and 32's for it. It may not off road like a 4x4 but it will sure look like it can. cool
Posted by: Griffin2020

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tweeder:
I just baught my 4x2 and i love it. I have already ordered the fabtech lift kit and 32's for it. It may not off road like a 4x4 but it will sure look like it can. cool
Hmmm...why not just go ahead and go all the way...put in neon and a big ass wing.

Poseur!
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin2020:
Quote:
Originally posted by tweeder:
[b]I just baught my 4x2 and i love it. I have already ordered the fabtech lift kit and 32's for it. It may not off road like a 4x4 but it will sure look like it can. cool
Hmmm...why not just go ahead and go all the way...put in neon and a big ass wing.

Poseur![/b]
If it wasn't for the 90% of the truck and SUV owners out there who just wanted a good looking truck/SUV with some bigger tires and a little lift who have no intention of taking it off-road there wouldn't be much of an aftermarket.

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 14/11/02 06:08 PM

no there would, but a "Cheap" lift would be 5-6k
Posted by: tweeder

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 15/11/02 06:18 AM

I have gone off road more times in one day then you have in one year Griffin 2020. The fact is I am 22 just baught my new truck that I have wanted since they came out i got the 4x2 cause its al a single father can afford right now. Next time dont judge the book by its cover read it first. cool

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 15/11/02 08:08 AM

OMG...

did i just step into the freaking twilight zone smile
Posted by: Silent Thunder

Re: No more concern for the 2WD? - 29/11/02 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Location Rat:
I don't need the 4WD - I drive mostly street and freeway for work -

I guess people have a lot of time on their hands, or are too bloody lazy to hike on their foot.... laugh

I have fun with it on the street.
Well said. cool

I'll add:

1. 4x4 was more money.
2. Insurance is more with a 4x4.