6.23.07 [Update]

Hey kids ... I thought I would bring you up to date on my project. I got my heads and cats back from the machine shop yesterday.
* pressure tested fine, he resurfaced them and replaced all of the valves. Nice and clean!
* Paid like $150 to have those dang cat studs removed, blah. The guy said they are VERY well made and crystalize when they are heated - whatever that means, lol.
* I ended up buying a new right side exhaust manifold. I was going to get headers, but decided I 'll spend the money on new clutch and rear seal when I get this b*tch to run.
* Up early, bolted my new exhaust manifold (which I painted black) along with the heat shields (yep, black too). I replaced all of the studs and nuts on them, totally worth the money. Easy as pie like working on a new car!
* block head surface all cleaned up, extra cleaning in the cylinders, tapped out all of block head bolt threads. This is a big deal, mine are a mess with carbon build-up and all it takes is a couple of bucks and time to do it right. Accurate torque readings will ensue. Cleaned all of the head bolts and soaked them in oil too, again, big deal, do it right!
* lay the new head gasket on and get the head all in place, lays in nicely with the exhaust manifold and cat all mounted up.
* The head bolt tightening sequence is in 4 stages. I get to stage 2, about 84 foot-pounds. One of the longer head bolts BREAKS on me! I had originally ordered new ones, but the parts guy said Nissan repair guidlelines don't say to replace them, so I cancelled them - bad move. Lucky me, now I get to buy them afterall and I need another new head gasket.

Ah the joys of "doing it yourself". Good thing is it is being repaired to MY standards - this would have cost me many thousands at a dealer or other repair shop.

* I'll post some pictures later on the web site ...
[drink]