Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
[b]When the hell did any religious organization try to inflict their beliefs on you?
Every time there is an attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Defense of Marriage Act.[/b]
That is very naive of you Moby, or maybe a little spin on your part.

While Christians and some Jewish groups are against abortion and deviant marriages, many people, maybe more, also oppose them for clear moral reasons. Religious reasons are by far not the only opposition to these abominations (infamnia's).[/b]
I'm not saying religuous reasons are the only reason, but if you think religious beliefs didn't have the most impact, then you truly have blinders on. People who are supportive of the Defense of Marriage act do it because they are morally against it. And a majority (I'd bet a good 90%) base those morals solely on the teachings they have had from religion. VERY few people get their morals elsewhere - I imagine that Samueul's child will be brought up outside of religion, and I'd bet he/she turns out just fine.

Abortion is a different matter - I realize some people are against it for not just religious reasons. I do find it incredulous that people can oppose abortion because it extinguishes a life and yet be fully behind the death penalty.

I have no problems with abortion, if the fetus is viable. Death penalty, I'm still unsure of - it certainly doesn't deter - if it did, wouldn't the population of death row have dropped off even a hair?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist