Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
I'd like just once in my shitty life on this globe for a CEO to stand at the microphone and tell the world that he doesn't care about the share price and that he is going to keep Americans employeed !!! It'll never happen but hey I can have a crack fantasy just like the next guy.....
I know you're not being serious, but here's the deal: CEO's keep their jobs by keeping the stock price up. Keeping people employed probably doesn't even enter their minds, especially if the CEO isn't the guy who started the company.

The trick for all of us as U.S. workers is to make ourselves valuable enough that some guy in a 3rd world country can't take our job. For those of us in the tech industry, that's getting harder and harder. India and Russia are ramping up aggressive off-shore agencies, with a highly-educated English-speaking workforce that works for pennies on our dollar. I know from personal experience that corporations don't get the same throughput from these off-shore employees, but it's pretty tantalizing for executives who need to trim their costs while maintaining revenue.

My condolences to those who have been, or soon will be, laid off. The economy seems to slowly be coming out of its slump. Keep your heads up...