Quote:
Slowing down the connection does work, but it just means your server will be busy, longer.
It's not all that busy, there aren't thousands of hits per second to worry about. However, when there's somebody sitting at home with a cable modem pulling files down at 150 KB/s, this puts a strain on the whole network that should not be eminating from this server. I'll have clients screaming that their file transfers are too slow, which is not a good thing.

Quote:
why don't you just slap in one line that checks the referrer... If it's not from XOC, ditch the connection - or display a nice, "not gonna happen" page.
I want to keep the site as open as possible for every Xterra owner. If you have a personal web page with pics of your truck, that kind of thing, this is what my server is here for. Like I said I like helping out other Xterra owners, this is one way I can.

To give you a better example, somebody posted that taco_wreck.wmv video, links propagated to every corner of the internet like you wouldn't believe. I'm not willing to sit here hosting crash videos for some rice burner forum, but I left it up anyways (the internet's attention span, as I've noticed, is about 3 days). Those 3 days were really heavy and potentially slowed down traffic to Xterra pics/vids.

There are ways around this, the ISAPI script being one of them. The other would be to rename a highly-linked file (which would quickly thwart outside links) and just recreate the shortcut in the appropriate thread here for us Xterra folk to continue downloading it.

Jens