Quote:
Originally posted by vondy:
Just a bit over 30k now on my 05 S and I am noticing a whining noise coming from the engine area. Sounds like a combination of a turbo/gear whine. It happens when accelerating, even when out of gear, definitely the engine area and not trannny or dif.

Highway driving, nothing changed except oil, no after market items. The noise goes up and down with acceleration.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Vondy,
I also had a whining type noise on my 05 OR that started around 30K miles. I would describe it as a turbo type whine that would start around 2000 rpms. Most noticeable by then , anyway.
At first I thought it was the serpentine belt and had the tensioner replaced per the TSB.
Since this didnt fix it, I went to a couple of dealerships before finding one that would diagnosis it correctly.
It turned out to be the timing chain guide which was replaced under warranty. Apparently in 2005, some of the timing chains were manufactured wrong which eventually damaged the guides. In my case, the dealer replaced everything... timing chains, guides, cams etc...
The x now runs better than when I first got it!
Like driving a new car, 2 years later.
When my X was getting fixed, There was also a Pathfinder in there with the same problem. When picking mine up, the dealer had appointments for a couple of other pathfinders also with the same problem.
I have heard of the same issue on Frontiers also.
Same engine... same problem.
Dont know if it is just 2005 but seems to be from what I have read in user forums.
Good luck.. Hope your dealer is as cooperative as the one I went to!