Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgPath:
[b]I'd love to know how you surmise that he was 'over driving conditions'. What the hell does that mean?
I'll take this slow for ya. I don't know the exact stopping distance for the X, but let's say it's 140 or so feet from 60 mph. If you're doing 60 mph and can't see well over 140 feet in front of you, you are overdriving conditions. It's very simple really. It's common sense. If you're going around a corner at a speed that requires you to swerve around an obstacle because you don't have time to stop, you are overdriving conditions. It's like fog--if you can't see 150 feet in front of you, you shouldn't be doing 60 mph. I don't know how much simpler I can make it for you. Those 200 people who just piled up in the fog surprised me at first. But I guess, as you are an example, that thought process is normal.[/b]
I assume then from your statement that you leave more than 3 car lengths space between you and the guy in front of you at all times? That you drive as if a 53' trailer will suddenly appear across the road, not just in your lane? Wow, you are a perfect driver aren't you? I bet you keep your hands at 10 and 2 o'clock too. Good for you.

Lets look at the tape. Stop the tape right when the truck appears. They are under 200 feet apart. Look at the stripes on the road. The larger stripes are (for arguments sake) 3-4 feet long. The space in-between the larger stripes is at least the length of the X, say 9 feet. Looking at the tape I think a rough estimate of 150 feet or so is about right.

Since we know that the stopping distance of a X from 60 MPH is 125 feet we can surmise that at 55 MPH the X should stop in about 115 feet. Overdriving conditions, no, I don't think so.

He didn't lock it up and hope to stop. He braked and swerved to avoid the truck. Had he stomped on the brakes the X would have stopped a good distance before the trailer.

As for fog. I didn't see any fog or anything else hampering the view. Had the local police or roads department felt that the curve was 'blind' or was too sharp warning signs would be posted. There weren't any. They felt it is safe to travel that curve at the speed posted.

Is it not that way where you live?