Since you were asking about the Jeep (pronounced Heep in spanish, right?) thing, I'll go there...
Jeep TJ, CJ, XJ, YJs all have shorter wheel bases than most other vehicles. A jeep auto transmission is longer than their manual, especially the 4 speed auto. Jeeps have problems with drivetrain vibration due to their use of a slip yoke on the rear drive shaft. Their shorter wheelbase compounds this. Most jeepers require a slip yoke elimination kit and new longer CV style drive shaft to fix the vibrations after even a mild lift. Their newer vehicles tend to be worse for some reason. NOW, would you pick a 3 speed auto over a 5 speed manual for your X? that is the option most jeepers had (save for the cherokee XJ) befor they came out with the new Rubicon edition. BTW the rubicon comes equiped with a factory slip yoke eliminator and CV style driveshaft, so they could afford to install the longer 4 speed auto.
Even my previous XJ (yes I'm a convert) drove like crap on the road, and it was a 2000 model. When I first drove my '86 CJ-7, I took it strait to an alignment shop to find out why it wouldn't stay pointed in any direction even at low speeds. After they told me it was normal for a jeep, and I learned to drive it...don't look at the radio for more than a second...I just got used to it. What's the point? The point is most jeepers are looking for that rudamentary jeep feel in the older ones, and an auto doesn't fit into that mold well. Note to flamers, I said MOST not ALL.
People are lazy
And this is not specific to jeeps...The auto makes it easier to climb, and harder to control the descent...what's your preference?