shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#601224 - 03/06/08 06:20 AM Goodbye Hummer...
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH

#601225 - 03/06/08 06:44 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm pretty much okay with that. Aside from the look, there are many vehicles that are much better for what they actually do than the Hummers.

Unless you have some sort of a ranch out west with no roads whatsoever and you need to carry combat troops to fight off the armadillos.

#601226 - 03/06/08 06:52 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Good riddance.

GM destroyed what was a unique brand.

H2 - ugly as shit.
H3 - better than the H2, but not by much.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#601227 - 03/06/08 07:05 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Good riddance.

GM destroyed what was a unique brand.

H2 - ugly as shit.
H3 - better than the H2, but not by much.
I agree they should have left it for what it was and not suburbanize it.. :rolleyes:

#601228 - 03/06/08 07:10 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

A Suburban Hummer? Don't you get that from a bored, lonely housewife?

Ba dum bum...

#601229 - 03/06/08 07:26 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
They are closing four more plants. eek

I think the best thing GM could do for itself is close all facilities in Michigan and get the hell out of that state.

#601230 - 03/06/08 07:31 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool All this means is, the HX is even more likely to appear, with even more economy traits--

--Can't wait !!

-- [LOL] [LOL] --JIMBO

#601231 - 03/06/08 07:54 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:

I think the best thing GM could do for itself is close all facilities in Michigan and get the hell out of that state.
It's kind of a bummer that they're closing the Moraine plant - that's in south Dayton (IIRC) near where I went to HS and where my grandparents live. With the past plant closures in that area, WPAFB down-sizing, and everything else that's hit, Dayton's turned into a shithole and this is only going to make it worse. Likely much worse.

But yes, I'd be all for seeing them close all the plants in Michigan and move them to Ohio...

#601232 - 03/06/08 08:03 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron ap Rhys:
Quote:
[b]They are closing four more plants. eek

It's kind of a bummer that they're closing the Moraine plant - that's in south Dayton (IIRC) near where I went to HS and where my grandparents live. With the past plant closures in that area, WPAFB down-sizing, and everything else that's hit, Dayton's turned into a shithole and this is only going to make it worse. Likely much worse.

But yes, I'd be all for seeing them close all the plants in Michigan and move them to Ohio...[/b]
I grew up about a half hour from Dayton. I don't ever recall it NOT being a shit hole.

(I qualify that by saying my hometown was an even bigger shit hole)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#601233 - 03/06/08 08:20 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

But yes, I'd be all for seeing them close all the plants in Michigan and move them to Ohio...
Ohio is not a business friendly state.

Why would any manufacturing company open a plant in Ohio?

#601234 - 03/06/08 09:32 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mobycat - Springfield? That'd definitely be worse. But I graduated back in the late 80's, so yes - Dayton itself was a shithole, but the suburbs still weren't that bad. Now, it's pretty much all bad.

NYMadmanI'm not sure on the manufacturing part, but is it a tax structure/union thing you're referring to? Just asking as Cbus seems to be home to all sorts of businesses - but it's more of a white-collar HQ mecca than anything.

#601235 - 03/06/08 09:46 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

[b]NYMadmanI'm not sure on the manufacturing part, but is it a tax structure/union thing you're referring to? Just asking as Cbus seems to be home to all sorts of businesses - but it's more of a white-collar HQ mecca than anything.[/b]
It's everything combined to make it an unfriendly business environment. Most especially if your business is in a manufacturing capacity. Ohio is very far down the list of potential states where any business executives would chose to set up new plants. Other states are far more attractive for numerous reasons. I'm amazed that any automakers are still in Michigan.

#601236 - 03/06/08 10:42 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b][b]NYMadmanI'm not sure on the manufacturing part, but is it a tax structure/union thing you're referring to? Just asking as Cbus seems to be home to all sorts of businesses - but it's more of a white-collar HQ mecca than anything.[/b]
It's everything combined to make it an unfriendly business environment. Most especially if your business is in a manufacturing capacity. Ohio is very far down the list of potential states where any business executives would chose to set up new plants. Other states are far more attractive for numerous reasons. I'm amazed that any automakers are still in Michigan.[/b]
Honda likes it there.

#601237 - 03/06/08 10:43 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
[b]Mobycat - Springfield? That'd definitely be worse. But I graduated back in the late 80's, so yes - Dayton itself was a shithole, but the suburbs still weren't that bad. Now, it's pretty much all bad.
[/b]

Never really spent any time in the suburbs of Dayton (I usually would go down to Cincy). I do remember one time going to Dayton to find WTUE. Downtown was a joke, as I recall. I graduated around the same time - '86 for me.

#601238 - 03/06/08 10:55 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ohio, the NE anyway, is the armpit of the country.

#601239 - 03/06/08 10:56 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

Honda likes it there.
Are you so sure about that?

They will stopping all production of motorcycles in Ohio soon and are moving production back to Japan.

Up until the recent GM announcement, you probably would have claimed that GM also liked Ohio.

#601240 - 03/06/08 11:38 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by silverkat:
Been there and I can agree. Cleveland is a shit hole.

#601241 - 03/06/08 11:42 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]Honda likes it there.
Are you so sure about that?

They will stopping all production of motorcycles in Ohio soon and are moving production back to Japan.

Up until the recent GM announcement, you probably would have claimed that GM also liked Ohio.[/b]
I'd venture to guess that the motorcycles aren't that profitable for Honda. (And it's a relatively small plant - 600 workers, as opposed to the auto facilities that employs 10,000+).

None of the workers are losing their jobs. The auto manufacturing is still going strong.

#601242 - 03/06/08 11:44 AM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by silverkat:
Apparently you've never spent any time in Jersey. Or course, I'd say that NJ is a bit closer to the taint of the country.

Compared to say, BFE in Missouri, I'd say that NE ohio isn't too bad. Not great - but not all that bad.

#601243 - 03/06/08 12:41 PM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
A LOT of people move here from Ohio. You should see all the tOSU fans during college football season. But this is Gator Country. They need to go back home.

#601244 - 03/06/08 12:57 PM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:

Compared to say, BFE in Missouri, I'd say that NE ohio isn't too bad. Not great - but not all that bad.
What the fuck, man. Go fuck yourself! [Finger]

#601245 - 03/06/08 01:49 PM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
What the fuck, man. Go fuck yourself!
For serious - I've spent a few days in Rich Hill, MO. Spent the nights there in Pappanville. Actually even went to Rich Hill's Homecoming game (uncle in law grew up there, we were out renovating a house so he could put it on the market).

The two simply aren't comparable. I'm not saying St Charles, St Louis, KC, or the like are the armpits, but places like that leave a lot to be desired...

#601246 - 03/06/08 03:09 PM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightX:
A LOT of people move here from Ohio. You should see all the tOSU fans during college football season. But this is Gator Country. They need to go back home.
That's assuming they don't stop off in my area first and wind up settling here. [LOL]

#601247 - 03/06/08 06:32 PM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Now what do you have against Michigan? The state's already taken a big enough hit from the automotive industry when it can't compete. What do you think would happen if GM did close all their plants in Michigan?

Once again you've proven that you're just a dumbass. Like there's any real possibility that GM would close all their plants in Michigan. What the hell would they gain by that kind of move? Or did you forget that their HQ is in Detroit?

#601248 - 03/06/08 06:49 PM Re: Goodbye Hummer...
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo:

Now what do you have against Michigan? The state's already taken a big enough hit from the automotive industry when it can't compete. What do you think would happen if GM did close all their plants in Michigan?

Once again you've proven that you're just a dumbass. Like there's any real possibility that GM would close all their plants in Michigan. What the hell would they gain by that kind of move? Or did you forget that their HQ is in Detroit?
You are from Michigan, so it's no surprise that you would defend that stain in the toilet bowl.

Michigan is one of the most anti-business states in the nation. You're the dumbass. Who cares how much of a hit Michigan has taken over the years? That is no one's fault except for the people of Michigan. You elect idiots to state government who do nothing to attract business, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

GM would gain much on the bottom line over the long term by moving out of that state. Staying in Michigan harms their ability to compete.

Who the hell cares if their headquarters is there. Times change. Corporations move headquarters. GM should have told Michigan to go to hell years ago. Their tax, labor, and regulatory laws are helping GM go to hell in a handbasket.

GM would be wise to get out of Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal