shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118993 - 30/07/07 02:24 PM Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the GF and I are heading north on our vacation at the end of August and I was wondering if you guys could provide some suggestions for destinations/activities. No itinerary is set other that we're starting off by seeing some norcal family before heading into Oregon.

While wheeling isn't the focus of the trip, we're either taking my X or her SAS'ed Frontier, so rough terrain hopefully won't be a problem, but encouraged! We're more outdoors people than city, so any suggestions toward that end of the spectrum are appreciated.

Have heard of a place offering jet boat tours, which sounds fun, but I don't know any more about them than that. Am picking up the AAA map and guidebook, but are thinking that if it's highlighted in there, than maybe we'll go somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

#118994 - 30/07/07 05:15 PM Re: Some suggestions please?
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I moved to Oregon almost 6 years ago. Here are some of my favorites:
- Crater Lake. This time of year you should be able to get all the way around it without running into snow.
- Jet boats on the Rogue River. I think Hellgate is the company we've used before: http://www.hellgate.com/Splash/
- Mt. Hood/Timberline Lodge. See where some outside views for The Shining were shot. Plus, it's really pretty. Also around Mt. Hood, you can do some easy wheeling. Check out Barlow Road.
- Multnomah Falls. Big, tall waterfall out in the Columbia River gorge east of Portland. There's also a ton of hiking out there.
- Mt. St. Helens/Ape Caves. Bring your flashlights and/or lanterns and explore some cool lava caves. At the Ape Cave, you kind of enter in the middle of the cave--to the left is pretty easy, but to the right is more challenging and requires some climbing and steady footing. It's fun.
- Oregon coast - Cannon Beach, Seaside, Tillamook, and places south. Lots of touristy stuff, beautiful beaches, tide pools, and lighthouses if you're into that kind of thing.

After you get your AAA materials, if you have any specific questions about stuff you read about, let us know!

#118995 - 30/07/07 06:01 PM Re: Some suggestions please?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
[drink] with Mosi; proceed to let the GF arm wrestle or roll him for the keys
to www.pnwoutdoor.com

Crater Lake and the Oregon Caves NM where both awesome, would highly recommend them. Multnomah Falls was also nice like mentioned.

#118996 - 30/07/07 06:28 PM Re: Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hit up Central Oregon. Bend is cool town surrounded by tons of outdoor adventures. Do you want to hike, fish, ride, climb, paddle, etc???

When I lived there my favs included:

-Broken Top
-Newberry Caldera
-Smith Rock SP
-Cascade Lakes Highway
-Deschutes River
-Deschutes Brewery!!!
-Crooked River
-and many more...I miss Oregon.

ETA: But don't tell any locals you're from CA. :p

#118997 - 30/07/07 10:01 PM Re: Some suggestions please?
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Yeah, hit us up if you want to grab a pint.

#118998 - 31/07/07 01:05 PM Re: Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks all for the info. We can't wait to put some miles under the tires and see what's out there.

Now, where to find a bumper sticker that says "don't mind me, I'm just on vacation..."

#118999 - 02/08/07 10:55 AM Re: Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I see on this page, Clackamas County is the place to head for. (I know that's what Mitch would suggest as well. laugh )

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=or

Good idea about the bumper sticker too, I could have used one like that in Idaho and Montana.

#119000 - 02/08/07 11:07 AM Re: Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank B:

Good idea about the bumper sticker too, I could have used one like that in Idaho and Montana.
LOL [LOL] dude, you're the one who gave me that idea...

#119001 - 02/08/07 11:41 AM Re: Some suggestions please?
Fletcher Beck Offline

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Hey Bobby,

I work here, www.cvalco.org, so if you want some cool ideas for this part of Oregon let me know.

#119002 - 22/08/07 08:39 AM Re: Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks again for the suggestions. I may post back with some questions later, but have a quick truck-related one for now.

What are the rules in OR for exposed off road lights? I have clear light covers on there now, which some states don't allow, and will have to scrounge up the original white plastic covers if necessary. Anyone know off the top of their head?

#119003 - 22/08/07 11:45 AM Re: Some suggestions please?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not sure if we have a rule or not. I have PIAA on mine and they have the grill cover and never have been told other wise and I have seen plenty of other trucks with a lot bigger lights uncovered. I think you will be fine.

Moderator:  Mosi 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal