2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131558 - 11/04/07 10:08 AM 4/21-22 Mojave Road West, Central
Anonymous
Unregistered

Posting upcoming run info here as a backup.

Originally Posted By: "xtoolbox"
General Meet: Sat 4/21 in Barstow at the McDonald's @ 9am
2571 Commerce Pkwy, Barstow, CA
http://tinyurl.com/plb6l

2nd Meet in Afton Cyn Campground ~ 10am for those that may want to camp friday night.

Mojave Xcursions are legendary; they’re always one of the best adventures of the year, So don’t miss this one wink

Going to be a bit different this time /w start in Afton Cyn, Exploring the lava tubes, camp up in the trees in Carruthers Canyon, maybe head over to the Dunes or Mitchell Caverns on Sunday or complete more of the trail depending on what the group wants to do. Easy out for day runners on satuday with more adventure possible for sunday.

Sat 4/21 1st leg: West- Afton Cyn (MM 122) to Central- Carruthers Canyon (MM ~46.5); 8 hours easy to moderate.

Start at Afton Canyon (Off I-15 outside of Barstow) go up Shaw Pass, Cross Soda Lake, lava beds, stop at the mail box, Marl Springs and up to the Beale Mt through the whoop-ti-do’s to the Cima road intersection, continuing onto Rock springs, through the Joshua, Yucca, trees towards the Caruthers Canyon intersection where we will head north to camp in the trees.

Been pretty dry out there but the 1st water crossing in Afton is running deep from what I heard, proceed with caution. Sand drifts a bit deep in Afton around the dunes. Soda Lake crossing is bone day but always fun, Lunch time side trip up to the lava tubes @ (MM 79.2) via the old mine road, brief stop for some maintenance on CCX's memorial and all the other sites such as rock springs, govt holes. etc.

4/21 Camping at Carruthers Canyon (Primitive) in the trees off the main trail N of NY Mts Road.

4/22 Sunday has a couple of options: Contiune ~ 30 miles on the Mojave Rd say to the SR 95 (MM 14) to I-40 or head back for Black Canyon Road out towards the dunes and Mitchell Caverns.

This is a great overland type of Xcusrions where the scenery is the main draw, most easy wheelin' on various Terrain through some fun water crossing in Afton, Soda Lake unique salt flat, looks of sandy wash’s, whoop-to-do’s, etc. I’m planning on going at a nice pace but not rushing but you will take a bit of a thumping but that’s part of the adventure so keep that in mind and you will have a great time

Please post up if you’re interested or have other ideas or areas you might want to visit? We need a good head count for this one so please keep that in mind and your status updated.

GPS file at:
http://www.travelbygps.com/guides/mojave/road.php

Some Background:
http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/nov/stories/mojavetrail.html

General Map at:
http://www.nps.gov/moja/mojamap2.htm

FRS 4, Subcode 24; CB 12

Brian

#131559 - 23/04/07 07:21 PM Re: 4/21-22 Mojave Road West, Central
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's plenty of pictures on SCCX but I thought I'd throw some here for those who don't visit.

#131560 - 24/04/07 11:20 PM Re: 4/21-22 Mojave Road West, Central
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! Awesome pics! Bummer I couldn't make it to this one... thanks for sharing the pics!

I hope the white X was ok after the water crossing. Judging from the wake, it seemed it went a bit too hard and a bit too fast... IMO... hope the engine bay was ok... as with the rest of the group. Last time we went, a few soaked and drowned their horns, while another lost their license plate... but good times! wink

#131561 - 25/04/07 08:41 AM Re: 4/21-22 Mojave Road West, Central
Anonymous
Unregistered

The white X was fine for the water crossing laugh ; its big problem came later when the plate that goes around the K&N intake lost a nut, came loose and went into the wires/plug for the MAF. Fried that whole piece.

I was just puttering along across the water; the engine bay was dry as a bone.

#131562 - 25/04/07 10:40 AM Re: 4/21-22 Mojave Road West, Central
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XterracerX:
Wow! Awesome pics! Bummer I couldn't make it to this one... thanks for sharing the pics!

I hope the white X was ok after the water crossing. Judging from the wake, it seemed it went a bit too hard and a bit too fast... IMO... hope the engine bay was ok... as with the rest of the group. Last time we went, a few soaked and drowned their horns, while another lost their license plate... but good times! wink
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's had something happen to their license plate here. When I exited that crossing my front license plate was bent upwards a full 90 degrees, and the frame was snapped off. Looked pretty funny.

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal