2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131903 - 24/01/07 07:23 PM Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in San Antonio, TX and work for the DOD (Department of Defense). I just got a job offer in the Santa Ana area for 20 grand more a year. Can anyone here fill me in if it would be worth my while to consider moving there. I am worried about the cost of living in CA. It is one of the highest states to live in. I'm sure I could find similar places to live, (I rent an apartment) for slightly more, but how about everything else. Thanks for any input. [drink]

Leon

#131904 - 24/01/07 09:20 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey there.

Lots of things to consider. Yes, some things about living here are expensive. Commuting in traffic sucks and it's a bit crowded.

That being said...

If you're coming here, you have a lot of options for cool places to live, depending on what you're into. Living in Santa Ana -- imho -- would blow. Unless you go for the loft trend in the arts district downtown kind of thing. But SA isn't that far from many places that are nice -- remember everything here is designed to be "freeway close." That concept works best if you have access to flex time.

If you want to pop off a bit more of your criteria of what you'd be looking for, it'll help narrow down thing a bit.

For instance, where I live isn't that far from Santa Ana, but you would have a commute. But I live in a fun, sleepy little beach community which, to me, is worth it. I'd rather pay a little more to live where I'm happy than shave a few bucks and be miserable.

#131905 - 24/01/07 09:42 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be working for Irvin Aerospace in SA. Most of them there seem to commute at least 30 minutes to work. That is no problem for me. I would like to spend a grand or less on a place to live. I am looking to rent a place, but one of my setbacks has been that I have 2 large dogs. I see alot of apartments that I could find for that amount, in around SA. And I and can and am willing to commute to save a few bucks. Do you know of any apartment locators that I could contact?

Thanks

#131906 - 24/01/07 10:07 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

sccx is here

#131907 - 24/01/07 10:11 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahh, dog friendly. There's a bit of hypocrisy on that topic out here. Everyone is hugely dog friendly out here, but try to rent a place with a dog. Whole 'nother story.

If I were you, I'd start looking near the beach and work your way in. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but that logic also can work in your favor. Places like Belmont Shore in Long Beach (where I live), Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, places like that are big dog communities and still have bargains for rent if you don't mind hunting. The best bets are the places owned by older folk who have front and back homes on their lots. They're looking for someone to occupy the rear place who they can count on, don't mind dogs (if they can play with them) because they add security, and give them a helper on trash can day, for instance.

When I was last looking for a place, craig's list popped up a bunch of share opportunities, many of which were dog-friendly. Don't know if you're into the roommate thing, but if you're looking for a starting point until you can take the time to explore different areas, you can typically get more for your money that way.

The daily papers out here are the LA Times and OC Register. Each have community weekly papers, the Current and Daily Pilot are a few. Check the main web sites for a full list; they may have rental ops.

Post up if you need more info about the area. Again,, Santa Ana is not on my top list of places to live, but there is a lot nearby that may work for you, especially if you don't mind condo nation.

Hope this helps.

#131908 - 24/01/07 10:47 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah I'm with bobby Santa Ana isn’t your garden type spot. Irvine is a lot nice, location is everything out here so expect to pay for it.

If you haven’t been out for a visit I would do so before making a decision, ask your employee for some help in securing a place.

In California housing cost normally take up more of income than almost any other state. Gas is going to cost you more, taxes are higher, etc so that's why the wages are greater.

On your own finding a corporate/managed owned apartment with 2 dogs is going to be tuff and mostly likely will cost you more.

Getting a good rental it pretty competitive sometimes and you might have to work at it locally for a while. Try some online sites like rent.com

With the dogs I think your better off with Apartment and rooms direct from owners rather than the agency listings and what not like bobby suggets.

I’m a California native and love the state, so many great places, things to do, opportunities, etc. I wouldn’t move just to make more $ because your going to end up spending more out here, for a better Career, opportunities, or other stuff yes.

#131909 - 25/01/07 08:16 AM Re: Possibly relocating...
Spencer Offline

Loc: Irvine
20k more huh

You must first ask yourself if this is a better job then your current.

there is a 9% tax in Cal. Sale tax also. After that, Gas is usually 20 to 50 cent more in CA.

For rent you will be looking at 1000 and up, it might cost more with pets.

Check out the Fullerton area near the 57, but away from the 91.

I suggest finding roommates, that can go in and rent a house, thats what I did, We have a bigger place, a garage etc. For two big dogs, I think a yard is important.

You don't know what you got till its gone

#131910 - 25/01/07 08:15 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

A 20k raise will probably cover the added expenses of living in CA. You wouldn't really be making more money.

#131911 - 25/01/07 09:47 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm DoD too - a GS-12 but with an E-9/24 year retirement pension coming in too.

The DoD has ride-share programs that pay 100% of your commuting cost as long as you get enough people in the van. We've got two vans running up from 30 and 40 miles south of our command and the people there are riding for free - saving gas, wear and tear, and insurance prices.

Real estate taxes are much lower here than in Texas but then we have a state income tax. It's small enough compared to what the federal government does to me that I don't even hurt writing the CA checks.

There are plenty of on-line cost of living calculators which will give you pay requirements to keep your current standard of living.

One thing they don't calculate is all the money you'll save on those big belt buckles you guys wear. smile

Using the calculator at CNNMoney.com and figuring you make GS-11 pay of something like $55,000 it says you need $89,759 to be comparable in Los Angeles! San Antonio must be cheap - food is 46% more here, housing 158% more, utilities 47% more, transportation 29% more and last heathcare is 14% more! So that $20,000 is close but not enough at that pay.

My locality pay is like 23% premium and since I bought my house five years ago (it's tripled in price) I'm shielded from the higher mortages, lending rates, and taxes (our increases are limited to just 2% of the homes value per year smile )

#131912 - 28/01/07 09:18 AM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't be working for the DOD any longer. The pay here for the DOD is good, however, with the way pay increases for me, I'm a WG, through steps, it is very slow. Also, once you top out, you only receive annual increase of maybe 3%. The company that has contacted me states large pay raises annually, bonuses throughout the year, and advancement. I also would be doing more R&D with new systems for new customers and the work would be different all the time. I wouldn't be stuck doing what has always been done for years "because that's how we do it".
The new job would also be with the one of the largest in my field, if not the largest. Any thoughts on that?

#131913 - 28/01/07 05:48 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Spencer Offline

it sounds like the DOD is a dead end, I would take the new job. Sure it's expensive to live out here, but it also seems you will earn more experience and have the room to grow.

TAKE IT!

#131914 - 28/01/07 06:38 PM Re: Possibly relocating...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spencer,

I will be going there maybe middle of February. If I take the job, My fiance and I will be going out there, your profile shows Irvine, Irvin Aerospace is in Santa Ana, any suggestions on finding something within driving distance that would let us have 2 big dogs.

I'm basically networking right now, the more people I know that can help, the better.

#131915 - 31/01/07 12:49 AM Re: Possibly relocating...
Spencer Offline

I would look around fountain valley, Costa Mesa. That way it is still close by you won't spend that much time in traffic.

Prices in Irvine will go up.

Are you into beach cities?

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal