2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#635672 - 20/06/06 03:54 AM What Size Exhaust Piping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey whats up everyone, Im kinda new to this forum. To be honest I've been browsing through the topics here for quite some time, but i was always too lazy to reg.. anyways here i am..

heres the question.

Anyone know what size the stock 2001 Xterra SE piping is? I just recently put on a flowmasters 40 series exhaust, I cant say that im un happy with it, but its a bit too quiet for my tastes.

Im planning on increasing the size of the piping, but will that make a significant difference? And if so, what size piping should I use? Gas mileage is killing me but logically, the bigger the pipes, the bigger the flow, and the bigger the flow, the more gas it'll consume correct?

Any thoughts/comments?

#635673 - 20/06/06 05:58 AM Re: What Size Exhaust Piping?
2 the X Offline

Loc: Manassas, VA.
I believe that the stock exhaust on the 1st Gen XTerras was 2.25". I too put a Flomaster 40 series on my '02 SE/SC and noticed a noticeable difference in performance and a subtle increase in MPG (key word is subtle). If you wish to change all the exhaust pipes from the catalytic converter back, I believe that the largest size that most do is 2.5". The general rule of thumb is that the larger in diameter you go, the more you increase your top end power range and the more you decrease your low end torque. I've seen people w/ 3.0" exhausts and while they sound like a rocket, they have very little power at the low end range. Keep in mind this generally holds true for 6cyl. engines. Big blocks can handle larger diameter exhaust systems.

Hope this helps.

Devandra

#635674 - 20/06/06 06:56 PM Re: What Size Exhaust Piping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh okay. Thanks for the comment

I'd like a more beastly sound, but if that means im going to have to lose low end torque, then im probably going w/ 2.5 from the cat.

Thanks

#635675 - 21/06/06 08:44 AM Re: What Size Exhaust Piping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by D-ROC:
Oh okay. Thanks for the comment

I'd like a more beastly sound, but if that means im going to have to lose low end torque, then im probably going w/ 2.5 from the cat.

Thanks
If you are going for a good sound here, you have to combine the flowmaster 40 with an intake.

I've had my Flowmaster 40 for a long time, but I don't have an intake, as I wheel and don't wanna risk water getting in there.

I've worked on an X the other day installing a BL and he had a Flowmaster 40 with a K$N cold air intake on the front.

It sounded a lot beefier that my flowmaster alone. It was more of a beastly sound that you are seemingly going for.

P.S. Both of our trucks are with 2.5" exhaust piping. I would not go any bigger either.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal