shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#647248 - 28/10/09 12:00 PM Distributor or Timing Belt
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Forgive me XOCers for I have sinned. It has been a long time since my last post.

The ol' girl wont start and I think (without doing much physical diagnosis) the distributor might be the culprit (crossing fingers its not the TB).

Let me tell you how it went down:

I drove to work in the morning without any real noticeable problems. I shut her down and a few hours later started it back up and sat idling while I was on the phone. After a couple of minutes it sputtered and died. Cranked over but didnt start. Tried a few times and realized it wasn't gonna go. I first thought fuel pump so I checked and sure enough I heard it energize when I turned the key. Not the fuel pump most likely. No loose wires or obvious leaks of any kind.

I didn't notice any sputtering or hesitation or hear any loud or otherwise unusual noises. It seemed a bit sluggish but I attributed that to a night out of the garage. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the problem.

It has 127k and has not had a TB replacment (yet).
I've never done the plugs or wires in the 9 years.

Any suggestions on where to start?

#647249 - 28/10/09 07:17 PM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: therob]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

Loc: Denver, CO
Verify that there's fuel pressure. Sputtering and dying sounds like a fuel or ignition issue, not a timing belt.

When the belt goes, it just shuts off. There's not if's and's or but's! Then when you go to start it, there won't be anything but hearing it turn over.

To verify the t-belt hasn't snapped or stripped, take off the distributor cap. Notice where the rotor is pointing. Use a bungy cord or some tape and secure the cap away from the rotor so that when the rotor turns, it won't hit the cap. Now, go inside the X and turn the engine over (like you're trying to start it) for just a second. Now get out and look at the rotor and see if it's pointed to a different spot. If it is, then the t-belt is still attatched and turning the cams.

Also, while you're turning the engine over, listen for a snapping sound. This will be the coil firing and the snap will be the spark. If you're getting a spark, chances are good that the ignition is good.

It would probably be easier to have someone turn the engine over so you can watch the rotor turning and listen for the snap.

One last thing to verify the engine is in time is to (while the cap is off) turn the engine over (either by hand or with the starter, but using the starter will be harder) and place the rotor to point towards the #1 spark plug wire. Now see if the timing mark on the crank pulley is close to Zero. If so, then you're engine timing is OK. If not, then the cam/crank timing is off and the timing belt has probably jumped (which would allow the distributor to still turn, but nothing is in correct time, put on a new belt and see if it still runs!).

But, I'd double check the fuel pressure as well. You might be able to hear the pump, but it may not be getting enough juice to be able to produce any pressure (i.e. bad sending unit).

Edited by Cyclemut (28/10/09 07:18 PM)

How's that hopey changey thing working for you?

#647250 - 31/10/09 06:09 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: Cyclemut]
therob Offline

Well, I removed the dist. cap and checked for movement when I turned it over. No movement. Its sinking in that I'm in need of a new timing belt. I'll order the kit from xterraparts.com.

Now, what are the chances that there wasn't any further damage?
Also, my OBD II port isnt working, any thoughts?
Thanks

Rob

Edited by therob (31/10/09 06:24 AM)

#647251 - 31/10/09 07:08 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: therob]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

Well, you might have gotten lucky, I've seen some that fire up with only a hint of misfire (slightly bent valve) or some with several misfires (several bent valves).

Since it happened at low rpm, I would think you might have been on the lucky side of this.

I'd think about just going to the local parts store and get a timing belt (like $25 or so) and putting just the belt on and firing it up.

You can start the engine with everything off the front, no belts or whatnot, but only for about a minute before it's no longer a good idea. Long enough to see if you've got a misfire or not.

Beats spending a ton of dough just to find out you need some headwork.

#647252 - 31/10/09 09:25 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: Cyclemut]
therob Offline

I'm looking for the parts list. I know its been covered but I hate having to wade through all the BS. Is it me or does the search feature blow? I don't remember it being this hard to find things.

I'm gonna see if my local dealer has all of the components in stock so I can get them if the change-the-belt-only-and-see method shows that I am indeed lucky and there is no bent valves.

#647253 - 31/10/09 12:43 PM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: therob]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

T-belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner pulley, cam seals (x2) and crank seal. Since you're going to have them off anyway, it's a good time to replace all the other fan belts.

Good luck. If you were closer to Denver, I'd give you a hand.

#647254 - 31/10/09 12:45 PM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: Cyclemut]
therob Offline

The local dealer was about 40 percent higher so, I'll order the kit along with a new cv boot and a couple other things I've been needing.

Thanks for all the help, 'preciate it.

Rob

#647255 - 01/11/09 02:40 PM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: therob]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

Any time my friend.

#647256 - 02/11/09 04:28 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: therob]
Joe-Nathan Offline

Loc: St. Martinville, LA
Originally Posted By: therob
The local dealer was about 40 percent higher so, I'll order the kit along with a new cv boot and a couple other things I've been needing.

Thanks for all the help, 'preciate it.

Rob

I am in the same boat. My distributor went out two weeks ago. Replaced it. I check with my local mech. to get a price on swapping out the timing belt and water pump. He came back with a price of $550. A little high. He is using the local dealership for parts. I am going to suggest to him that he order the kit from Courtesy and give me his usual markup. That way I will save a few dollars and he will still get is money, if I am lucky.

My truck is a 2000 4x4 with 137000miles. I am on borrowed time with the timing belt.....
2011 Titan CC Pro-4x (Smoke)
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#647257 - 02/11/09 05:14 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: Joe-Nathan]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

You can always just order the parts and take them to your mechanic. You save on the parts and you save on his markup.

#647258 - 03/11/09 09:58 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: Cyclemut]
therob Offline

I'm not sure if this has been suggested but we should have a "Common Fix" How-to section.

In this case I was looking for a write up on people's experience with timing belt DIY, which I knew existed but had some trouble finding in in the search field (even advanced).

Just my $.02.

#647259 - 09/11/09 06:07 AM Re: Distributor or Timing Belt [Re: therob]
therob Offline

Success!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal