2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#678255 - 02/04/12 08:36 PM first gen Xterra swap??
sprice0789 Offline

Loc: Missouri
hey guys i have a 2000 xterra i just rebuilt the heads due to broken timing belt fun fun.. I suppose im not as good with engines as i thought because she runs like a champ now! but leaks every fluid imaginable... ok kool goin back in but i have been very very interested in a bigger motor something with more power and that will last for miles to come i really want to do a 8cyl but cannot find any straight answers as to what will work or how its done i have seen its been done but no one wants to tell how... or what. if anyone has done this or knows of any detailed builds some info or links would be awesome thanks in advance!

#678257 - 03/04/12 04:48 AM Re: first gen Xterra swap?? [Re: sprice0789]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
You already have an engine that " will last for miles to come" in it already.

With proper care the VG30E series engines are damn near indestructable, I've seen some with close to 400k on them and they purr like a kitten.

#678258 - 03/04/12 06:15 AM Re: first gen Xterra swap?? [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
granitex Offline

Loc: Columbus. Oh
to make any v8 fit is going to take a lot of work, and a meen a lot.

If I were even thinking about doing it, I would take off all of the front end, place the motor, then build the tubework around that to hang the hood, fenders, and cooling system off of.

#678260 - 03/04/12 02:15 PM Re: first gen Xterra swap?? [Re: granitex]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I'd just make the VG33E work...and call it a day.

That, or, as Granitex pointed out, you might as well chop off the front end, and graft a cage on, and start from scratch.

The steering, suspension and drivetrain under there just won't work with a V8 w/o massive fab work...add the electrical and plumbing/cooling, emissions control, and other issues...and its easier to start from scratch than to retro fit it (Which is why you're not finding any notes about how to do it - you'd be one of the first)

A guy did do it...sort of, spent years on it, and I think he got it running somewhat, and then gave up....there was a thread on it.

So, if you can't change a timing belt w/o screwing up the engine, a project requiring massive fab might be a bit overwhelming.

If you gave it to a competent shop, for ~ $20k or so, maybe they could help you.

If you later total your $k list + $20k in engine mod Xterra, you typically get a check for $4k minus the deductible. (Unless you upped your premiums to reflect the mods, etc...)

Food for thought.

laugh

Edited by TJ (03/04/12 02:15 PM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#678363 - 17/04/12 09:02 PM Re: first gen Xterra swap?? [Re: TJ]
sprice0789 Offline

Loc: Missouri
lol thanks guys and agreed.. i dont think im quite ready to tackle a project like that. i changed the timing belt with no problems that was AFTER it broke of course, i guess i assumed that since i purchased the x from a shop owner he had maintained it.. "lesson learned never assume" altho rebuilding the heads and replacing all the valves was a bit of a learning experience still not as bad as many make it seem im just getting frustrated with small things. its something diff. everyday last week my brand new thermostat went out and blew the housing seal, replaced that. then i picked up an oil leak out of the passenger rear cam cover,fixing that.. and now i have another coolant leak in the rear of the motor "most likely head gasket" even tho i spent about an hour on nissans ridiculous head tightening sequence also it has a very slight very random miss and is an absolute dog in the rain..? im honestly thinking about tearing it back down and trying this again, or jus finding another motor to drop in, i love this truck and have many plans/wants for it unfortunately i cant keep it running long enough to do anything fun with it..

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal