2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42120 - 02/10/01 05:52 PM PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
adamsdell Offline

Loc: N. wilkesboro, nc 28659
I HAD THE LOCAL DEALER TELL ME THAT THERE IS NOT MANY OF US 4CYL X'S OUT THERE, BUT I AM HERE. DOES ANY BODY KNOW OF ANY MODS FOR MY X, I HAVE SEARCHED AND SEARCHED, BUT ONLY V6 MODS AVAILABLE smile

#42121 - 02/10/01 07:12 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
Trade it in for a supercharged 2002?? smile smile

#42122 - 02/10/01 08:11 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Or a keyboard that works...

#42123 - 03/10/01 05:37 AM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
hux Offline

Loc: nc
hey bub. What XOC is trying to say is it's impolite to type in all caps.

I don't know of anything other than a free flow air filter...try looking for frontier pickup mods, bout the same engine, but the 4 banger frontier is a bit more popular than the 4 banger xterra.

We just traded up from the 4 banger to the 3.3, man, you don't know what yer missing...not just the power, the dang thing rides a hundred times better on the street, and feels much more like a real truck..definitely trade up when ya can, it's a whole different world.

#42124 - 03/10/01 06:27 AM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
bperry Offline

Loc: san antonio
Power????? You're joking right! Nissan and power are never seen in the same sentence. Maybe a step up from a 4 banger, but drive a V8 for a week and you'll hate Nissan.

#42125 - 03/10/01 07:08 AM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by bperry:
Nissan and power are never seen in the same sentence.

Not in the past decade, but watch out.
Nissan can make more power than anyone if they want to.

Check out the 3.5 Altima (250hp), and compare it to the competition.

Then there's the full size truck and SUV next year sporting 350+HP from a 4.x liter engine, nothing comes close.

#42126 - 03/10/01 07:33 AM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Not to mention the 340hp Q45:

Titanium valves, a silent-chain cam drive, a hydraulically driven cooling fan, continuously variable intake-valve timing, variable volume induction, and an electronic throttle.

0-60 in 5.9 sec.

You could use it to tow your trail rig Xterra...maybe... laugh

I guess $55,000 is a lot of money, though.

Perhaps a set of these headers could be used - you will have to contact them.

4x4Parts.com might have some performance products that will work.

If you want to get really expensive, it looks like Malvern Racing does custom stuff.

I also know that Spencer Low Racing has cams for the 4-cylinder engine.

One last site, which has a lot of information on the KA24 engine, is this one.

Good luck!
-Brad

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: Strom ]

#42127 - 05/10/01 02:41 AM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
primerAL Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Power????? You're joking right! Nissan and power are never seen in the same sentence. Maybe a step up from a 4 banger, but drive a V8 for a week and you'll hate Nissan.

Yikes, bad wordage I hope?

I'd go with forced induction such as a turbo due to the low compression pistons. If you wanted better engine efficiency and more power without boosting (turbo or supercharger) you could have your stock pistons replaced with higher compression pistons. Having a low compression motor and not boosting is very backwards to me. The V6 Xterra has a 8.9:1 compression ratio. It's the reason why I can put the crappiest grade of unleaded and still run fine. It's also one reason why the engine is slightly low on power and slightly high on fuel consumption.

Also, the KA24DE 16 valve head flows very well. A set of cams will certainly help the engine breathe. Cold air intake, free flowing exhaust manifold and less-restrictive muffler piping...

Don Nimi runs a shop that caters to the KA24 motor. Check out PDM Racing . Some or most of the engine mods should be compatible. You could also save up for a Pathfinder engine swap. Its aluminum block VQ is powerful yet efficient. Its 10:1 compression ratio does require super unleaded, but that's a small tradeoff. There's also the VH engine from the Q45.

Addendum - the KA24DE head has a mechanical valvetrain unless Nissan changed it. It can certainly take an additional 1500 rpms before rev limit. I've seen KA24DEs tuned to 200hp and beyond without a turbo, so it's certainly not a terrible idea to make a 4-banger Xterra more powerful.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: primerAL ]

#42128 - 05/10/01 06:30 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
This thread goes right up there with 2x4 owners that wonder how much it costs to convert their truck to a 4x4.

You just bought a new vehicle. If you wanted more power why didn't you get a 6cyl?

Too much impulse buying, and not enough test driving and research going on out there.

#42129 - 05/10/01 10:46 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
This thread goes right up there with 2x4 owners that wonder how much it costs to convert their truck to a 4x4.

You just bought a new vehicle. If you wanted more power why didn't you get a 6cyl?

Too much impulse buying, and not enough test driving and research going on out there.

happens on the Audi board a lot too. People who skipped quattro will ask if they can now bolt it on because they regret not getting it to begin with. Then they don't understand why it only costs $1700 to buy it with the car but probably $8000 to add it later, since the rear suspension and floorpan is different. Yep, think before you buy!

#42130 - 05/10/01 11:48 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
bperry Offline

Loc: san antonio
People should never buy Nissan trucks for power. They have never had it, and never will. The crappy supercharger is worthless for the money. Even the salesman said it wasn't worth the money. He knows what he is talking about cause he was the ex president of the RX-7 club in san antonio.

#42131 - 06/10/01 04:48 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
primerAL Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
The crappy supercharger is worthless for the money. Even the salesman said it wasn't worth the money. He knows what he is talking about cause he was the ex president of the RX-7 club in san antonio.

I do know how you feel, I think a $3500-4000 supercharger add-on is worthless. But ex-presidents of RX-7 clubs making recommendations for truck engines? It doesn't make sense to me. He may be afflicted with something called Rotary Bias. It's not harmful but there is no cure. Let it be known that it is highly contagious wink

I ran your quotation by my friend and he corrected me. "RX-7 guys
do know a lot about truck motors. Half of the time their RX-7s are being towed."

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: primerAL ]

#42132 - 25/10/01 11:26 AM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Not in the past decade, but watch out.
Nissan can make more power than anyone if they want to.

Check out the 3.5 Altima (250hp), and compare it to the competition.

Then there's the full size truck and SUV next year sporting 350+HP from a 4.x liter engine, nothing comes close.

Check out the 1000+ (yes, 1000hp) HKS Skyline GTR, or the 300-500 hp Nissan Sentras running around with the F-max stage II and JWT electronics. There are also Nissan trucks with Sylvia motors (SR20DET) engines installed. If you have a wheelbarrow full of money a lot is possible. It's all a matter of tastes and priorities. Long after the old Chevy or Ford v-8 dies by the side of the road, Nissans drive train will be chugging right along. Nissans are primarily bought for the reliability, but they do have a lot of potential in the power area. Just bring your checkbook, and get used to eating a lot of Ramen.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#42133 - 25/10/01 12:22 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Test drove the new Altima 3.5... for the $ it is one hell of a rocket... laugh

#42134 - 26/10/01 10:01 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
pukaterra Offline

Loc: Left coast
Right on CharlieH laugh Im sure Skylines will soon rule the earth with v6 power. This guy has under estimated Nissan. My friend has a Datsun 510 that spanks Mustang cobras all day long, but it has a stock VG 3.0 v6 from a older Z car. He also has a 72 datsun truck with a N/A 200+ hp 4 bagger it. I belive Nissans 4 baggers are far underated, and the old school v6 like in the exterra are one of the worlds most durable v6s ever. Bet Ford and Chevy wish they could use the word durable in the same sentence when refer to v8s. And by the way my 4 bagger Nissan Fronter makes as much or more HP as any other engine per liter. Even v8s so go find a Kia or Suzuki to pick on.

#42135 - 27/10/01 10:27 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Quote:
Skylines will soon rule the earth with v6 power

shit, they aint the only ones thinkin up nuttin but raw power, look at Honda just holding back, you know they could pull some shit out there asses. Honda S2000 pulling 240 horses out of a 4 banger, fun car, I spanked a 99 cobra with it.

#42136 - 28/10/01 12:22 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
pukaterra Offline

Loc: Left coast
DGX Fac your are quite right I never ment to take away from Honda. I was just try to make the statement you do not need a v8 to make power or go fast. I have had a Honda and it was quite fast for a 4 door car with 4 bagger, and I must admit Honda is 2nd to none in 4 bagger power, but Im Nissan man and I do not like people bashing there 4 baggers I think there great. If I had to pick the most durable 4 bagger (Power aside) it would be a toss up of the Toyota 22r and most any Honda. I have owned them both. smile

#42137 - 25/07/02 01:16 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
aznxterra Offline

ok if you guys really knew nissan engines this wouldn't have started. first of all the guy that said nissan and power don't go in the same sentence if full of sh*!....there is an engine out there..the SR20VET...it produces 276 hp..from a 2.0 four banger....that is faster than any S2000...or you could take the SR20DET which has 250hp....also faster than the s2000...the silvia S15 runs a 13.6 QM stock...the S2000 runs a 14.0. 4 bangers can have power...if i could get one of these engines in my X i would...oh and the skyline isn't a V6 it is a twin turbo in line 6

#42138 - 25/07/02 03:01 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
CosmicX Offline

Loc: Alhambra, Cali
Quote:
Originally posted by aznxterra:
...oh and the skyline isn't a V6 it is a twin turbo in line 6
I think he was talking about the new R35 Skyline, it has a V6.

#42139 - 25/07/02 03:30 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
But when this was originally posted (October 2001), I don't think the R35 Skyline had been revealed...

#42140 - 25/07/02 03:36 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
CosmicX Offline

Loc: Alhambra, Cali
Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:
But when this was originally posted (October 2001), I don't think the R35 Skyline had been revealed...
You're right Strom, didn't notice the date. [Freak]

#42141 - 25/07/02 04:35 PM Re: PERF MODS FOR 4 CYL??
aznxterra Offline

that is very true but the R35 is no longer called the skyline....i personally just went to japan and they are discontinuing what u call the skyline which in japan is commenly known as the GTR.....so the car that the R35 mimics is the fairlady Z (aka 350Z)...so therefore the GTR skylines are infact powered by twin turbo inline 6's.....good looking out tho.....fact still stands nissan and power can go in the same sentence.....

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal