shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50913 - 23/05/02 07:48 AM Calmini Front LSD Questions
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Well after months of sitting around waiting to see some good stuff come around, I've decided that I would like to go with this upgrade, but I have a question to help my installer understand how it is installed so I can get a good price estimate before getting wrapped up into this. So what does this consist of and approx how long should it take a proffesional to do it? I'm not gonna ask "how good is it" because I got that covered in my search, so please, If anyone has information on the installation of this to share with me, that would be greatly appriciated...

Thanks, Mike

#50914 - 23/05/02 08:12 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I haven't dropped the front diff... but you can probably do 90% of it yourself, except for setting the backlash. you could unbolt the diff (it's basically sealed) bring it into a competent shop, have them install the diff (maybe an hour and a half, maybe) then bring it home and slap it in.

I may be missing something important... I haven't done the front end... since it's CV based, I imagine unbolt the inner CV bolts, unbolt the front driveline, unbolt the spacer washers (not sure what else holds it in place) and it should come out... then you have to take the axle stubs out to get the ring and pinion out, but don't remove the ring and pinion U clamps yet, gotta check the backlash... the amount of play inherent in the gearmesh. you will need to set that again when you put the new one in. That's the hardest part, it takes a direct linometer that measures to the 1000th of an inch.

But I think you can do everything up to the point of the gear replacement and backlash adjustment and everything after that by yourself.

Correct me XOC if I'm wrong... I haven't dug into the front diff at all... hell, I almost never look at it...

#50915 - 23/05/02 08:18 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
When you get it in, let us knoe how it performs.

#50916 - 23/05/02 08:25 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
DGX Factor Offline

So your saying you do not have to press out the bearings or whatnot for this, just simply unbolt and pry open(Im like you Matt, havent really looked at it much). Im not gonna take just the diff parts there, they will have the truck do do as they please (i want them to take a look at the front sway bars to see if they can do a custom job on disconnects for them). Thanks for the info though. If Matts post sounds incorrect to anyone, please advise.

And yes, of course I will post on the performance of the LSD when it is done. Will not be until 2nd week in June though. Couple more weeks till I get the bonus. smile

#50917 - 23/05/02 06:12 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
Marty Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa Ca
BONUS, I want a job that gives bonuses!!!
eek

#50918 - 23/05/02 06:52 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
DGX Factor Offline

Then be a cop in the Air force. After 3-4 years you now get 35000 dollars to resign (45000 if your a Combat Arms trainer).

#50919 - 23/05/02 09:01 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by DGX Factor:
Then be a cop in the Air force. After 3-4 years you now get 35000 dollars to resign (45000 if your a Combat Arms trainer).
YOu mean like resign your commission and go be a civilian again?

-Rick

#50920 - 23/05/02 09:07 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
DGX Factor Offline

Damn, you got me on that one, didn't even catch that. No, you will re-sign or re-enlist for 4-6 more years on your contract and thats what you get. Come on people, join, get the X paid off!! (really, we just need more people so people that want to get out will be able to without being held up for 2 years or potentially more).

#50921 - 24/05/02 07:17 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I would confirm that you can even get one first. I spoke to Steve @ Calmini and he said there "aren't any in the country" at this time.

Apparently this is nothing more than the LSD unit from the 300ZX-TT with a small modification to make it fit in the R200A diff. If you can scour your local junkyards and find a unit in good shape, I'll be they'll be glad to tweak/overhaul it and send it back to you for a reasonable price.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#50922 - 24/05/02 07:37 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
wqbang Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Apparently this is nothing more than the LSD unit from the 300ZX-TT with a small modification to make it fit in the R200A diff. If you can scour your local junkyards and find a unit in good shape, I'll be they'll be glad to tweak/overhaul it and send it back to you for a reasonable price.
Now this is an interesting idea.

A little bit of research on the net says that the 300ZX TT LSD has a RP of around 3.8, much too high for the Xterra. It turns out that ALOT of nissans have had the R200 in it at one time or another: 240Z, 280Z, 300Z, Silvia, Infititi J30, Skylines, and lots of others. The key is to find the ones with the right RP's for our application. That is unless the existing RP's can be used with the new LSD. I don't know all that much about diff tech. Anyone care to comment?

#50923 - 24/05/02 07:43 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
wqbang Offline

Here is an article explaining some more Nissan LSD tech.

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/lsdtech.html

#50924 - 24/05/02 07:43 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Nissan has been using the R200 for a rear drive diff forever.. It is a very stout unit.

Another reason I was supprized to here that Todd (FSR Biker) detonated his at GOX.

#50925 - 24/05/02 08:41 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Has anyone heard of a Quaife LSD, it uses gears instead of clutch packs, similar to a torsen diff. Quaife America lists an R200 LSD for a 300Z at $1195. I was wondering if this could be applied to the R200A.

Brent, any idea what modifications Calmini would make to a Z car LSD to fit it in an Xterra.

#50926 - 24/05/02 09:10 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
wqbang Offline

Nismo makes an LSD for the 240SX R200 diff. They also offer 4.6:1 RP gears! Check it out!

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nismo/s14/s14_2.html

Pricey though....

#50927 - 24/05/02 09:22 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
wqbang Offline

Can you use the existing front RP gears with a LSD unit or are they replaced with the LSD unit?

Bryan

#50928 - 24/05/02 10:16 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
OffroadX Offline

The ring gear is a separate piece from the carrier. You should be able to take your old front diff ring gear off and put it on the LSD carrier.

As for what it takes to tweak the 300Z C200 LSD into the R200A, I don't know. Steve made it clear that was his little secret. smile

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#50929 - 24/05/02 10:27 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
wqbang Offline

But what do you think about the R200 diffs out of 240SX's? They might be direct bolt-ins. Used you could get them for $150-300 bucks. Not sure what the preload on the factory models is but the NISMO ones are 70 ft/lbs breakaway.

#50930 - 24/05/02 02:16 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
DGX Factor Offline

So I suppose this LSD Isn't gonna really kick in unless your at hard throttle then. And whats this about none being in the country. It has the appearance of being avaliable now.

#50931 - 24/05/02 06:26 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
OffroadX Offline

I don't know exactly what he meant by that, but that's what he said. Calmini has been known to have products on their site that aren't available at the time...

Brent

#50932 - 24/05/02 06:54 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Calmini has been known to have products on their site that aren't available at the time...
It's called advertising.

I hear about software, and albums, and new cars that I can't buy, but will be available in the future. Why should CALMINI be any different ?

#50933 - 24/05/02 07:05 PM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
DGX Factor Offline

Quote:
It's called advertising.

I hear about software, and albums, and new cars that I can't buy, but will be available in the future. Why should CALMINI be any different ?

I understand this, and Im not upset. Especially after hearing it was for the 300zx. It probably requires too much acceleration before it decides to transfer some power over, so Its looking like its not for me. I figured that it was avaliable though. If you look at some of the things (like the low range gear swap out) it says avaliable late spring or whatever. Its OK though. Im patient, keeping the door open for more things to come. Thanks for all the help and informative posts everyone.

#50934 - 28/05/02 09:10 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
OffroadX Offline

Ian,

I wasn't complaining either, just an FYI to anyone thinking they could go buy one right away.

Brent

#50935 - 28/05/02 10:15 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by DGX Factor:
It probably requires too much acceleration before it decides to transfer some power over, so Its looking like its not for me.
I watched it in action at goneMOAB as Steve crawled the CALMINI Frontier up Tipover Challenge hardly chirping a tire. He was in 4Lo with the 3.6:1 transfer case gearing, and he basically idled right up it.
It works very, very well for an LSD.

#683262 - 30/06/23 11:12 AM Re: Calmini Front LSD Questions [Re: OffroadX]
OffroadX Offline

Originally Posted By: OffroadX
The ring gear is a separate piece from the carrier. You should be able to take your old front diff ring gear off and put it on the LSD carrier.

As for what it takes to tweak the 300Z C200 LSD into the R200A, I don't know. Steve made it clear that was his little secret. smile

Brent

So for what it's worth, you just take the retainer that the driver's side CV flange bolt engages out of the side gear of the factory open diff, and put it into the side gear of the 300ZX LSD, and you're good to go.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal