shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135291 - 31/03/07 07:12 PM Michelin making new tires soon....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got an email with this info with these pics and thought that it was pretty damn sweet!

Quote:
Radical new tire design by Michelin. The next generation of tires.

They had a pair at the Philadelphia car show.

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do, and just think of the impact on existing technology:

A. No more air valves...
B. No more air compressors at gas stations...
C. No more repair kits...
D. No more flats...
SCAN DOWN &SEE.

These are actual pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

eek That's just cool!!!

#135292 - 31/03/07 07:32 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
I heard about these tires for a while now. Could you imagine the amount of mud that these things could get stuck in them!! Guess they're not for offroading, though you wouldn't have to worry about sidewall damage any more.

Though on the other hand, my wife just called me here at work and asked if I knew my rear passenger side tire was flat as a pancake on my X. That would be a plus with these new tires. Guess that'll give me something to do tomorrow [Freak]

#135293 - 31/03/07 07:46 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Anonymous
Unregistered

They actually designed a tire with the same technology but of industrial use such as construction equipment. I'm sure an offroad tire is coming as well, that is if they ever make that into production.

#135294 - 31/03/07 08:17 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I heard about these tires for a while now. Could you imagine the amount of mud that these things could get stuck in them!! "

I was thinking the same thing, but not from an off roading persective. Just the normal "road based" winter mud/slush gets plenty nasty. Imagine the "ice pack" that forms in the wheelwells, and can rub against the tires, forming INSIDE the tire! Yuck!

I figure either they've somehow engineered them with that in mind and they some how "shed" the stuff, else they've neglected a good portion of the country (or world), not just the off road crowd.

Or maybe the prototypes have the internals exposed for the "wow factor" and the production models will have some sort of protective sidewalls, and actually look more like conventional tires from the outside.

Pretty cool stuff though!!! [ThumbsUp]

#135295 - 31/03/07 08:42 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Or maybe the prototypes have the internals exposed for the "wow factor" and the production models will have some sort of protective sidewalls, and actually look more like conventional tires from the outside.
That's what i'm thinking.

#135296 - 31/03/07 09:23 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want a set of those for my mountain bike!!!

#135297 - 31/03/07 09:33 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just cut a few of the spokes to air down for off road use, then get the epoxy out after!!! eek

They do look pretty cool tho.

#135298 - 01/04/07 06:41 AM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Anonymous
Unregistered

*yawn*
The Tweel were originally intended for things like skid steer loaders. smile Comming Soon to a construction site near you.

The Michelin Proving Grounds aren't far from here. They have a car set up with those that does AMAZING lap times due to no sidewall shift. Cool facility, High Security fence all around. 3000 Acres dedicated to high speed hijinks smile They have lots of prototype cars there and pretty neat stuff.

#135299 - 01/04/07 08:25 AM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'll believe it when I see it at this point... I've been hearing about these for a couple years now and they still aren't for sale that I'm aware of

#135300 - 01/04/07 01:13 PM Re: Michelin making new tires soon....
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
I'll believe it when I see it at this point... I've been hearing about these for a couple years now and they still aren't for sale that I'm aware of
Agreed.
I even saw a spot on these during some "Future Cars" show on cable but have yet to see them at SEMA.

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal