shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177135 - 01/04/06 12:29 AM microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just read on a detailing website that microfiber wash mitts scratch your paint. The reasoning behind it was that they cant sufficiently let go of their dirt when rinsing between washes.... I've been using one... anyone else in the same boat?

#177136 - 01/04/06 04:06 AM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

ive never heard of a micro fiber wash mitt. I use micro fiber towels to remove wax but not wash the X.

#177137 - 01/04/06 04:40 AM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could see doing a second "detail" wash with a microfiber mit or the like, only after a thorough pre-wash. It would probaly be safer this way.

I love the microfiber cloth, use them as a final step in waxing and cleaning windows but they do pick up and hold dirt so I have to be extra careful.

#177138 - 03/04/06 10:02 AM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't use any kind of soap or fabric to wash my X. They are all abrasive to a degree.

The safest approach to cleaning your vehicle is to use just plain old water from a low-pressure water hose to rinse/spary off the dirt. And it gets it just as clean as any soap or fabric.

The idea here is to expose the paint job to the least friction as possible. Friction is created when rubbing paint against a cloth for example or having the paint come in contact with detergents.

Over time this kind of friction will wear out your paint's finish and shine much quicker than it would otherwise.

#177139 - 03/04/06 01:08 PM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

contaminants actually bind to the paint. good luck getting mud and bird crap off with low pressure water though.

btw, i ditched the microfiber mitt for a chenille.

#177140 - 03/04/06 02:50 PM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have problem getting mud or anything off with a low-pressure waterspray. Probably because I try not to let anything accumulate on the paint long enough for it to harden and bond to the paint. I would use a soft cloth to spot clean harder stains, but generally I find that plain water is just as effective in cleaning as soap/water/sponge. Of course, your experience may vary depending on the conditions you use your vehicle.

#177141 - 05/04/06 08:17 AM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by juslovit:
btw, i ditched the microfiber mitt for a chenille.
I use a chenille one also. I also use the 2 bucket method, where one bucket has the soap and the other is for rinsing off the mitt after I used it.

I have a Meguiras microfiber sponge that I use to remove the wax from my vechicle. It is nice and big in my hands and easier to use than a mf cloth.

#177142 - 27/04/06 10:21 AM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by limowreck:
I don't have problem getting mud or anything off with a low-pressure waterspray. Probably because I try not to let anything accumulate on the paint long enough for it to harden and bond to the paint. I would use a soft cloth to spot clean harder stains, but generally I find that plain water is just as effective in cleaning as soap/water/sponge. Of course, your experience may vary depending on the conditions you use your vehicle.
You must live in a pristine environment, because without soap or grease dissolver, i dont see how you are actually washing your car and effectively cleaning the paint on your car. Thats like saying, I dont need soap when I take a shower, I just use water and a rag... maybe im missing something here [Freak]

#177143 - 01/05/06 08:46 PM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

...dupe

#177144 - 01/05/06 08:47 PM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

...dupe

#177145 - 01/05/06 08:48 PM Re: microfiber wash mitt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by s4iscool:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by limowreck:
[qb]I don't have problem getting mud or anything off with a low-pressure waterspray. Probably because I try not to let anything accumulate on the paint long enough for it to harden and bond to the paint. I would use a soft cloth to spot clean harder stains, but generally I find that plain water is just as effective in cleaning as soap/water/sponge. Of course, your experience may vary depending on the conditions you use your vehicle.
You must live in a pristine environment, because without soap or grease dissolver, i dont see how you are actually washing your car and effectively cleaning the paint on your car. Thats like saying, I dont need soap when I take a shower, I just use water and a rag... maybe im missing something here [Freak] [/b]
Haha, that's a colorful anagoly, but not a valid one. Nice try, but you can't compare car paint to human skin. Apples and oranges my friend.

Human skin will attract and bond to dirt at a much faster rate than dry painted metal.

That's because human skin has a very visible and noticeable rough surface (with its hairs, wet oils, pores, etc.). Compared to the painted surface of sheetmetal, which looks perfectly smooth to the naked eye, and whose 'roughness' can only be seen under a microscope. Which do you think is going to absorb dirt more quickly?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal