2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178977 - 26/11/01 10:00 PM Road Salt
brian903 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Ok, so I moved from somewhere with no snow to somewhere with lots of snow and salt on the roads. My rock sliders are getting all rusty, and I'm worried about underneath. I wash the truck once a week, what else can I do to protect it? I don't want it to be one of those cars with flapping quarter panels and fenders.

P.S. I did a search and only found the thread about side rails not being able to rust because they're aluminum.

#178978 - 26/11/01 10:50 PM Re: Road Salt
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Uh, when did you move to Anchorage?

Yep, just keep on washing and make sure you spray the undercarriage really good on a regular basis. Of course keeping a wax coat on helps the outside, but it's all the hidden parts where rust will start. Might be a good idea to remove your fender trim pieces and things like that every month or so and wash under there really good. Make sure you fix any scratches or dings right away too. As long as you have good paint coverage and keep it clean you shouldn't have any problem. Anyway, I would worry most about the undercarriage and keep it cleaned.

or, you could sell your Xterra and buy an Audi (double sided galvanized sheet metal) or a total POS that you don't care about! smile

So, is this a temporary thing or are you there for good?

#178979 - 27/11/01 10:45 AM Re: Road Salt
brian903 Offline

We've been up here a month. It's supposed to be long enough to finsish school, but we may end up back some time next year. I've seen lots of other Xterras, but haven't found any type of club. Even though I only got to hang out with you all twice, I sure miss you guys. Hey...just a thought...you guys could all come up here for a trip, crash in our little studio apartment. Mosi, you should sell your truck up here...stock 2000's are going for 23,000+.

#178980 - 27/11/01 07:37 PM Re: Road Salt
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Hey Brian count me in for being interested in a trip to Anchorage. I was there last May on business and that is definitely a beautiful place to live. I'll be doing a longer road trip there eventually, with a canoe on my roof and hiking boots on my feet.

#178981 - 02/12/01 02:21 PM Re: Road Salt
Adalbert Offline

Loc: Muskoka ,Ontario - Canada
It may be too late in the season for you to do this but...
the vehicle MUST be bone dry and clean. Take it to Wal-Mart Automotive and get their rust protection spray. You can choose to just have the underbody sprayed or also body cavities drilled and sprayed so it cannot rust from the inside out. I went for the total job. They use a wax and honey blend that is very effective and does not attack the rubber parts like oil spray does. The product is warrantied. Normally you would do this Septemberish before the wet fall weather really rolls in. If the vehicle has any moisture on it, you are just sealing in the moisture and making things worse. Might be best to just wash lots this winter and do this next year

#178982 - 02/12/01 11:06 PM Re: Road Salt
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
How much does does that rust protection cost?

Xterra101.com

#178983 - 02/12/01 11:19 PM Re: Road Salt
brian903 Offline

My next question is, what about the sliders. In just over a month they are totally covered in rust spots. Any suggestions how to protect em? I'm thinking take them off, sand them and paint them with Rustoleom, but I have no where to do this.

#178984 - 04/12/01 05:23 AM Re: Road Salt
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Brian -
Do you think you'll really need rock sliders in AK in the winter? Can you take them off and store them?
If you can't paint them yourself, then you'll need to go to a shop and pay to have it done. Forget regular paint. Use the hi-impact type used on the rocker panels of many vehicles. Should hold up better to flying stones and such.

dave and xtoy - rust sucks

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal