2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#677588 - 10/01/12 09:16 AM Cleaning Engine Compartment
millennium3 Offline

Hi, new Xterra owner here (2000)...wanted to get some pointers on what to do and not do for cleaning engine/compartment. Spray with Gunk/hose off? Anything to cover up? etc.
Thanks!
Crutch - Atlanta

#678530 - 13/05/12 02:12 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Compartment [Re: millennium3]
becraftc Offline

Loc: Bunnlevel, NC
I was wondering the same thing. I recently bought a pressure washer and would like to do some light spraying with it, but I don't want to ruin certain electronics. However I know there are several people in this forum that have probably had the entire front end submerged in water, lol. Any ideas on cleaning the engine compartment people? Thanks in advance.

#679191 - 14/09/12 04:46 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Compartment [Re: becraftc]
Rob Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA,USA
I have a 2000 with the V6. I regularly spray my engine bay with a solution of SImple Green cleaner and water. I use a simple hand sprayer. I let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes and then hose is all off. I've never had a cleaning related problem.

The brackets in the engine bay that hold things on, like the upper radiator brackets, the brackets for the anti-lock brake control, etc. will all rust. They aren't painted and the junk coating that they have will wear off very quickly after you start cleaning.

#679732 - 10/02/13 01:53 AM Re: Cleaning Engine Compartment [Re: Rob]
Challis01 Offline

Everyone i would like to say that i want to clean my car enginge but i don't know proper procdure how i clean it if you know than contact here back i will appreciate you on this sharing....

Spammer

Edited by TJ (13/02/13 06:09 AM)

#679735 - 10/02/13 06:49 PM Re: Cleaning Engine Compartment [Re: Challis01]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
How about just posting your question? What have you tried? What is your goal? What problems have you encountered so far?

If you give us more info, people on here are most helpful. No need to ask for them to contact you back here, that is what this site is all about!

Ask a question, people that can help will post an answer. It's that simple.

As far as cleaning your engine compartment goes, there's a myriad of ways, but usually, depending on the gunk you have, it boils down to two ways, a hose to rinse out mud/debris, usually around the radiator, or a good steam cleaning for the rest. Be careful though not to get water in the wrong places (on an X, that's hard to do as it pretty well sealed up.)

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal