shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181268 - 12/01/01 05:55 PM Repair manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know if the nissan service manual is something a weekend warrior could handle or is it very technical and best left to the pros?

[This message has been edited by danno66 (edited January 12, 2001).]

#181269 - 12/01/01 09:23 PM Re: Repair manual
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It's huge, but well written with great diagrams.

What do you plan on working on ?

#181270 - 25/01/01 09:51 PM Re: Repair manual
terrano Offline

Loc: New México
I recently got a service manual for my 2001 Xterra. They are offered in the form of both book and CD-rom. I bought the CD-rom, which Nissan calls "Electronic Service Manual" (ESM). I consider myself to be fairly capable mechanic-wise. I think the manual is usable for all except total beginners. You can read any service procedure before you start, and decide if it is something you wish to attempt. The manual also includes very complete specifications for your truck (fluid capacities, alignment numbers, etc.)

I replaced the plastic steering wheel on my XE with a leather one for an SE. The ESM procedure was very clear and concise. I printed just the pages I needed and took them with me while working. On the other hand, instructions were very limited on replacing a shifter knob.

Be prepared for sticker shock. The ESM version is about $200 and the book version is about $300 (gasp!). That alone may make your decision.

2001 XE 4x4 3-pack 5-spd

------------------

#181271 - 07/02/01 03:12 PM Re: Repair manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

i asked the dealer and he said NO WAY

------------------
Do you smellalallalalala what Xrock is cookin?

#181272 - 07/02/01 03:45 PM Re: Repair manual
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by XROCK23:
i asked the dealer and he said NO WAY

he said no way to what?

------------------

Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

#181273 - 17/02/01 06:23 PM Re: Repair manual
RonB Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:
he said no way to what?

Probably if a person (like you or I) should invest in the Service Manual. Of course he would say that, because they want to do the repairs.

I don't have the X Service manual (I will when I get some $$$), but I have had some luck with old Nissan Service manuals - they seem to do a VERY nice job writing them, and I was very happy with the one I had for my old Datson 510. My dad and I used it to replace the clutch on that.

I would take any service manual over a Chilton's any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

------------------
RonB
Weapon X - 2000 Blue Xterra SE 2WD
SWXC - Hill Country Chapter Member

#181274 - 18/02/01 08:08 AM Re: Repair manual
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
I have bought the OEM service manuals for every car I have ever owned (except the Porsche, because Porsche wants an immense amount of money for their manual, if you can believe that). I have worked from Nissan manuals in the past and found that they are very helpful in explaining virtually every aspect of most procedures.
I recommend to anyone with any mechanical ability, an few tools, and the intention of keeping your vehicle for a while (i.e. more than the term of your loan) to purchase the service manual.
If you think about it, ONE use of the manual with your elbow grease would recover the cost of the manual just in labor savings from an average,out of warranty, dealer service visit.

------------------

#181275 - 18/02/01 09:18 AM Re: Repair manual
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by kandacarlson:
except the Porsche, because Porsche wants an immense amount of money for their manual, if you can believe that

Oh my, It's More the the X manual?? Ouch!

------------------
Eric Konarske
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal