2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#683013 - 11/01/17 08:56 PM 08 Xterra Battery Drain
hockeyfan39 Offline

My wife has a 2008 Xterra that is having some battery issues and am hoping that someone out there has seen similar issues and can provide some advice.

issues:
- Dealership reported battery was bad 11/2016 after I informed them that car was having trouble starting (taking 2 or more tries & needing help - pumping gas pedal to get it to start - wouldn't start without that)
Battery died about 2 weeks later, replaced battery 12/1/16. Battery was only 4.5 years old (rated for 7 years).
-New battery died 2 weeks later
- Dealership unable to find source of battery drain. Got 2nd opinion at another clinic, they tested for several days, thought they identified issue as body control module. After disconnecting fuses & cleaning them, they could not reproduce the draw. It started fine for 2 days, then the issues resurfaced. It takes 2 tries to get the car started on most occasions whether it has been sitting for 3-5 min or 12 hours or sometime in between. I cannot get it started without helping it - battery not powering fuel pump among other things to get it started.
-Of note, body control module system has never been right since I bought the car in Aug 2008. VCD/slip light would come on intermittently. Dealership unable to resolve this.
-Car also appears to accelerate sluggishly at times, but not always.
-Dealership also stated that drive belt is cracked. Car has been making a grinding sort of sound - kind of like sand going through the engine. This has only happened while accelerating uphill at higher altitudes

Car info:
2008 Nissan Xterra off-road package
78K miles
battery just changed
spark plugs still original
after market radio (because one shop thought the stock radio could cause battery drain)

#683014 - 13/01/17 05:18 PM Re: 08 Xterra Battery Drain [Re: hockeyfan39]
Glim Offline

Loc: Sc
Hi it sounds like the body control module may be acting crazy. Is there an check engine light. Far as the sound like sand in the engine that don't sound related. Unless the alternator it's going badi would take tocyour local parts store I use advance they can test the alternator on the vehicle.

#683016 - 17/01/17 10:56 AM Re: 08 Xterra Battery Drain [Re: Glim]
hockeyfan39 Offline

thx for the feedback! we're actually thinking at this point it may be the fuel pump. just took it in to another shop this morning, we'll see what they find.

#683024 - 30/01/17 04:56 PM Re: 08 Xterra Battery Drain [Re: hockeyfan39]
Gold Rush Offline

Loc: Franklin, NH
I had a 2002 Xterra that went thru two alternators, both times when the alternator would go bad it would drain the battery til dead. That model year the alternator was located where mud and water could get to it and cause premature disintegration of the alternators internal parts.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal