shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#651403 - 01/01/01 05:15 AM How to fix rattling heat shield?
Impavette Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I have that common problem of the rattling heat shield. The one that is behind the right front tire. Does anyone know how I can fix it so it doesn't rattle anymore? I'm looking for a permanent fix.
Thanks!

------------------
Chris
'00 Xterra SE 4X4 Auto(Silver Ice)

#651404 - 01/01/01 06:42 AM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
If your X is still under waranty, the dealer should fix it. But we know what a bother that could be.
From experience with other vehicles, noise from the heat shield is caused by a broken weld(s). I don't remember exactly what that shield looks like. But in general, a hose or muffler clamp around the shield almost always solves the problem.
The other cause is a bracket or some other item has moved into close contact with the shield.
dave and Xtoy - no clamps yet

#651405 - 01/01/01 08:40 AM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield?
Impavette Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
Dave,
Thanks for the response. It is the shield that protects the brake lines from the exhaust heat. It is a flat piece of metal and it is securely attached at this time, but I think it vibrates b/c it is flimsy and wanted to know if anyone has figured out a way to quiet it a little.

------------------
Chris
'00 Xterra SE 4X4 Auto(Silver Ice)

#651406 - 01/01/01 08:49 PM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield?
QuoromX Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
I had a rattle in that area, and it was just a shield on the tranny... I loosened the bolts and moved it over a bit. I was just rattling on the pan. If this is the problem you will not hear the rattle when you rev up the engine at a stop , but when you accelerate on the road.

Hope this helps..

#651407 - 15/02/01 02:05 PM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield?
adman Offline

I think I have the same problem, I hear a rattling while accelerating at higer speeds, like for a second between 39 and 40. Does this sound like the same thing. Cause it annoys the heck out of me.

------------------

#651408 - 16/02/01 10:02 AM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield?
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Impavette:
I have that common problem of the rattling heat shield. The one that is behind the right front tire. Does anyone know how I can fix it so it doesn't rattle anymore? I'm looking for a permanent fix.
Thanks!

I had that problme a long time ago (over a year) and my dealer "couldn't find the culprit" so I just hunted around till I found the offending heat sheild and removed it. No problems since then.

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com

Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#675839 - 19/06/11 01:40 PM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield? [Re: Philosopher]
AnthonyS Offline

Loc: West Babylon, NY
Is the heat shield NOT needed? I was reading it protects the brake lines from the heat of the exhaust manifold. So should I just rip it off or use a hose clamp?

Anyone know off-hand the dimensions of the hose clamp used? Otherwise I will need to take a tape measure and wrap the pipe.

Thanks

#675843 - 19/06/11 06:40 PM Re: How to fix rattling heat shield? [Re: AnthonyS]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
wow, talk about bringing back the dead posts,..
anyway, usually you can get under there and BEND parts of the heat shield to stop the noise, otherwise , tear them off, look at them, if you see anything close enough to cause concern, then wrap them.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal