shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181439 - 18/10/00 08:11 AM Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

Loc: St Louis, MO
I posted this question a few months back on the Yahoo board and didn't get much info, so I thought I would try again.

I occasionally get a loud clunk/clank/pop when I am backing up. Also, it has been happening sometimes when I have to stop on the brakes in a hurry. It is not the ABS. It has a distinct sound and doesn't happen all of the time. I have had it into the dealership 3 times and no one can figure it out. Mainly because it is tough to recreate.

They have tightened my U-bolts, but that is about it. It sounds like it is coming from the rear, but it could be anywhere. The best description of the noise is to imagine a hollow piece of metal having a dent popped out of it. It is a very deadening clunk.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks.

#181440 - 18/10/00 10:04 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
karmapitbull Offline

Loc: Charm City, MD
You're not the only one who has noticed that. I get it SOMETIMES too. Mostly when coming to a stop while my clutch is depressed.. (another issue with the clutch & brakes I'm having).

I've heard people talking about this before. But I have yet to hear a solution or what is causing the noise/"problem".

------------------
2000 Trophy Bronze SE X
http://www.ax2graphics.com/xterra

#181441 - 18/10/00 12:11 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

Just to clarify, I have a 4x4 Automatic. It is an SE and one of the first made. Purchased July of 99.

So far, I feel the way you do. No one seems to have a solution, nor do they feel it is anything serious. Well, maybe someone out there will be lucky enough to discover the source. I get tired of telling my dealer "No, I swear, it makes that noise".

#181442 - 18/10/00 04:56 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I have heard something like this too very occasionally when stopping. I have a 5sp. It's so infrequent it hasn't really worried me.

#181443 - 19/10/00 06:48 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

The only reason I have been thinking about it more, is that as time goes on, it seems to be making the sound more frequently. I just don't want it to become a major annoyance/problem later on.

#181444 - 19/10/00 07:13 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
LadyVolFan Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I have gotten that sound as well. I've got a 5/99 production X that is a 4x2 auto SE. I've noticed it when I have to break hard and after the truck has rested a minute or so it will "clunk". Sometimes happens when I start to come off the brake. I haven't found it to happen that frequently and haven't really worried about it.

------------------
LadyVolFan
2000 Silver Ice 4x2 SE
SouthEast Xterra Club

#181445 - 31/10/00 08:55 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

Just wanted to give an update on the clunk. The noise was coming from a variety of locations, most notably the skid plate and some wires underneath. Apparently if the skid plate is lubed that well, it can twist and make this type of noise. Also, if thes wires get pulled in a turn or brake, they pull down on a cross member and it can make that noise.

These are the explanantions from the dealership. We will see if it holds up.

#181446 - 31/10/00 09:42 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Can you please be more specific what wires???

and also please post back if it will make that sound or not

i think i have that too,
but dealer could not pin point where it is comming from.

Thanks

#181447 - 31/10/00 11:26 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

As soon as I pick it up from the dealer I will get some more info. I only got a quick run down on the phone. But, apparently there are some wires that can hang down and won't clear the tunnel. More to follow.

#181448 - 01/11/00 05:05 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Not ALL,
and NOT ABS

Abs is not suppose to be doin that .

#181449 - 01/11/00 05:44 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

I have some more specific information this morning. I forgot to bring in the report from the dealer, but I can hit a few points. (More on the wires later. I can't remember what it said exactly).

The bulk of the problem was coming from the twisting skid plate and the fact that the steering stops were dry.

#181450 - 02/11/00 05:26 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

Here is the exact results given to me by the dealer.

Front undercover hitting brace/creaking/popping in front and steering stops dry, center vehicle cross members creaking/popping with vehicle flex, transmission electrical connectors scraping against tunnel under car,

right rear body mount creak/pop/ with sudden braking-bend/adjust front under cover (skidplate) for clearance and lube steering stops, loose lube and retighten 2 cross members at both ends, re-reoute and secure electrical connectors on trans to clear the tunnel. Tighten 2 rear body mounts.

That was what was needed to fix that clunk. Hope it helps anyone else with the noise.

#181451 - 09/11/00 07:32 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
lkelly Offline

Can you post the name of the dealer that fixed your problem? It might help others with clueless dealers. They can suggest a phone call to XXX Dealer in St. Louis.

Thanks.

#181452 - 09/11/00 07:50 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

Suntrup Nissan in St Louis was where I took it.

However, I had the noise return one time the other day, so I don't think they completely fixed the problem.

#181453 - 15/11/00 01:40 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
millarbhe Offline

Loc: raleigh, nc usa
My dealer told me today (this is the second time my x 4X2 has been in the shop) that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, even though they heard the chuncking noise when the vehical comes to a complete stop. They called the technical support in california who told them it was a "characteristic" of the 4X2's. PUULLEASE. The dealership doesn't know how to fix it and Nissan doesn't know how to either. I am taking it to another dealer if anyone has any suggestions my appointment there is not for a week! This has been going on for about 3 months now.

Leigh

#181454 - 15/11/00 03:39 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

I am pretty much in the same boat. No one seems to think it is a serious problem, nor do they know what is causing it.

#181455 - 21/11/00 06:45 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
amodao Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
I had a clunk coming from somewhere below the front seats. It would occur on acceleration and when I ran over large bumps in the road at speed. I took it to the dealer and they found that the tranny/transfer case wire harness connector was hitting the frame rail under the co-driver's seat. They rerouted the cable and the sound went away. When I drove home I put the Xterra in 4wd and the indicator did not come on. I looked under the vehicle and found the wiring harness disconneted. I drove it home and adjusted the wires myself so there was enough slack to do the wire connector up plus ensure there was no contact with anything. It has not made a sound since.

#181456 - 01/12/00 07:45 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
lkelly Offline

I have been experiencing the "clunking" as well for several months, and it has become more frequent. I took my Xterra in for the 3rd time on 11/10 to my local dealership and gave them the info "jasonjrk" posted regarding what his dealership did. Using that info, my Xterra has now been "clunk-free" for 3 weeks.

#181457 - 17/01/01 06:31 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

Well, its been a couple of thousand miles since I posted the "clunk" solution, and guess what? Its baaaaack.

I am right at 27000 miles so I am worried that this clunk will continue to haunt me and I will have to pay $50 per adjustment once the extended warranty kicks in.

I am on the phone with Nissan opening a case file now, but my main concern is that no one seems to be able to figure out what it is.

I could take it back to the dealer and have them make the same adjustments, but as history has shown us, it will only be a temp fix.

Anybody out there have any input or thoughts?

There is nothing quite like hearing a loud, metallic bang/clunk every morning when you back out of the driveway.

I just opened a case file at Nissan. # is 3351827 if anyone needs to reference it.

[This message has been edited by jasonjrk (edited January 17, 2001).]

#181458 - 17/01/01 07:43 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
MichaelShaw Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I read somewhere in the owners manual that the clunk in reverse is normal...something about an ABS self test...as for when going over bumps and such...not a clue.

hope this makes a few of you less nervous
Michael
2000 SE 4x4
D/FW Tx

------------------

#181459 - 17/01/01 07:54 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
Impavette Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
Did you happen to get an oil change recently? I would try taking the skid plate off for a day or two, just to see if the noise stops. If it stops, lube the parts that touch and tighten it good. I hope that is your problem. Please post the results. Mine doesn't make that noise, but it seems that all of the problems you guys write about, I eventually get.

------------------
Chris
'00 Xterra SE 4X4 Auto(Silver Ice)

#181460 - 18/01/01 05:40 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

I did just get an oil change, but the noise is coming from the rear. Its definitely not the ABS.

I think the problem is related to the adjustments that were made earlier (lubing, tightening bolts, re-routing wires, etc), but they don't permanently hold.

------------------

#181461 - 18/01/01 07:37 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
I have had this clunk but only when going over bumps. You could feel it on the floor boards! I tracked it down to the passenger side exhaust system flexing. I just live with it now that I know what it is.

------------------
Coolerman
1991 XE V6 5sp Pathfinder
2000 SE V6 Auto Xterra
1972 Toyota Land Cruiser
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

#181462 - 07/02/01 10:39 AM Re: Irritating Clunk
jasonjrk Offline

The clunk is back and it seems much louder.

Has anyone else out there found a permanent fix?

It is so frustrating to hear this loud clunk/bang everytime you back up.

------------------

#181463 - 08/02/01 02:39 PM Re: Irritating Clunk
Shawn Spencer Offline

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
I had the same problem with my 2000 SE. My dealer cited the steering stops and Front torsion bars/Anchor arms. They had to replace the bars and add extra washers. torsions bars. They said the extra space between the washers was causing the poping sound that I heard. Just an FYI. If in Atlanta go to Regal Nissan.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal