shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673559 - 19/10/10 04:17 PM What is it?
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
What is this? ....

This picture was taken at Lake George, NY by a friend of mine in 2009 while on a family vacation. He took tons of photos and never noticed until recently that in one of the photos there appears to be an object flying above the lake.

The full resolution photo is here....

Link...

If anyone has any software that can zoom in and enhance and/or clarify and sharpen the object in this image flying over the lake, it would be greatly appreciated (use the full resolution image). I don't have any such software, nor am I proficient in photo enhancing type software.

#673560 - 19/10/10 05:57 PM Re: What is it? [Re: NY Madman]
_Craic_ Offline

it's nothing.

#673565 - 20/10/10 05:03 AM Re: What is it? [Re: _Craic_]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Speaking generally, i.e. not about this photo in particular, as a photographer I'm always puzzled by the "didn't notice it till later" pics. If you're taking a walk around the lake, you're looking here and there with no specific purpose and it would be easy to miss something. But when you're taking a picture, you're consciously looking at what's before you with the goals of obtaining a pleasing composition, ensuring the pic is in focus, etc. So it seems odd to me that people don't see things that later show up in their pics.

With that said, it's a little more understandable in wide-angle shots like this one because there's a lot in the scene, and especially so if it was a digital camera with a back viewscreen as opposed to a viewfinder.

If I had to guess on this one, I wouldn't rule out sensor dust. There's either another flying object or a speck of sensor dust above and to the left of the mystery spot. It's especially evident in the full-res version.

#673578 - 20/10/10 06:20 PM Re: What is it? [Re: BlueSky]
Bolt Speedman Offline

Loc: Jackson, Wisconsin
It's the end of the world. Time to grab the A.K.,AR15, case of shells and the Xterra and head for the woods!!

#673583 - 20/10/10 08:10 PM Re: What is it? [Re: Bolt Speedman]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
There are several similar areas of the same sort of effect.

I would say there's nothing flying there at all.

The sharpness of (Nearby) objects rendered is sufficient that this would have had completely different edges if it had been an actual object.

Its just an artifact of the camera.

Judging from its RELATIVE size, had it been a flying object, it would have been so large that if could not have been missed.

This is why it was not noticed at the time, it wasn't there.

Edited by TJ (20/10/10 08:23 PM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#673585 - 20/10/10 10:39 PM Re: What is it? [Re: TJ]
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: TJ
The sharpness of (Nearby) objects rendered is sufficient that this would have had completely different edges if it had been an actual object.

Quote:
Judging from its RELATIVE size, had it been a flying object, it would have been so large that if could not have been missed.

I thought of some of the same things you did and so did he, but they are really not adding up.

If it was an artifact of the camera, he snapped a bunch of images at that location at that time, and none has anything remotely resembling what is displayed in this image.

And yes... they were taken with a digital camera (BlueSky).

As for the "relative size" of the supposed object, it would have been many miles away. If it wasn't making a lot of noise and unless your eyes were focused on the object, it could have easily been missed if it were an object traveling at a high rate of speed.

I don't know. I don't know what it is. That is why I posed the question here. I don't want to give the impression that I think it is a craft from another world because personally I don't believe this planet is being visited by crafts or beings from other planets... or any of that type of stuff.

I was just looking to see if someone here had any specialized software that could possibly clarify the object better.

It is about perfectly parallel with the water and has a straight line on the bottom. That kind of rules out a spec of dust or light anomaly. At least I think it does.

#673586 - 21/10/10 04:54 AM Re: What is it? [Re: NY Madman]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Originally Posted By: NY Madman

Quote:

If it was an artifact of the camera, he snapped a bunch of images at that location at that time, and none has anything remotely resembling what is displayed in this image.

I don't know. I don't know what it is. That is why I posed the question here. I don't want to give the impression that I think it is a craft from another world because personally I don't believe this planet is being visited by crafts or beings from other planets... or any of that type of stuff.

I agree with both of you. Here's the thing. It (IMO) IS a speck of dust in the camera. By his own admissions, he took a lot of pic's at the time. He has other pics of the same area taken at the same time (generally speaking at least). Yet this "object" isn't in any of the others. Why is that?

Two possibilities for this. One, it was moving and wasn't there for any previous or subsequent pictures. In which case, something that large probably would have been seen. Maybe not, but probably would have. So this is at best unlikely.

Second, it's a speck of dust in the camera. Now you ask, why isn't THAT in other pictures too then? As I said, the guy took a lot of pics. Most likely, since it was taken with a digital camera, it most likely also was a fairly high end camera as well. Supporting this conclusion is two factors. First, he takes a lot of pics with a digital camera. So the guy likes photography. Which means he probably would have a fairly decent camera to do it with. Second, looking at the pic, it's a fairly high resolution as it can be blown up quite far to see the object in the distance. So the resolution is there to allow that. All this means that it was MOST LIKELY a higher end camera. Now, being a higher end camera, it would have a self-cleaning mechanism. Digital cameras do now, to prevent this very thing from happening. They aren't perfect, but they do a great job overall. Since this "object" doesn't appear in any of the previous or subsequent pics taken with the same camera, my conclusion is that it is simply a speck of dust that got missed by the cleaning mechanism only to be removed before the next pic was taken.

The other part that I intentionally quoted by NYMM may sway my conclusion a bit, that is, I agree with him in that we are not being visited by extraterrestrials. IMO, that is simply a mass public induced fantasy. Humans on this little insignificant planet is not that important. Get over it. We are not the center of the universe. As far as celestial objects go, Earth is very, very boring. Why would they come here? Point being, because of the mass hysteria about UFO's, it is a common leap of faith to say this or that is a "UFO" because there's no obvious explanation at the time when in fact there is a simple logical explanation inconceivable by the uneducated public. Yes there are a very few cases that are hard to explain. All others are usually due to a misunderstanding of science. Note that I say that those few are hard to explain, not inexplicable.

In any event, decide what you will about the pic. My .02 says it's simply a speck of dust.

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#673591 - 21/10/10 09:12 AM Re: What is it? [Re: NY Madman]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: NY Madman

Quote:

I thought of some of the same things you did and so did he, but they are really not adding up.

As for the "relative size" of the supposed object, it would have been many miles away. If it wasn't making a lot of noise and unless your eyes were focused on the object, it could have easily been missed if it were an object traveling at a high rate of speed.

I was just looking to see if someone here had any specialized software that could possibly clarify the object better.

It is about perfectly parallel with the water and has a straight line on the bottom. That kind of rules out a spec of dust or light anomaly. At least I think it does.

At ~ 536 x

At ~ 1,600 x

The web may not be able to show what I can see on the nice big sharp computer screen...but here's what I see when I use high definition blow-up on it:

IF it were traveling at high speed, the blurring is typically predictable, as the image over laps itself as it moves, causing a distinctive trailing effect.

This is not present.

It is transparent at all edges equally, with no trailing edge blurring evident.

IE: If it existed, it was floating there not moving at all.

It should not be transparent either.

If it exists, there should be a shadow from it, opposite the sun...and/or a glare on the side facing the sun....and there isn't.

If its not moving, there should be some pixelation along the edges, as shown for other objects, like the mountains, etc...but more solid pixels in the middle, again, like the mountains, etc.

Instead, it appears transparent, and the appearance of a shape at all is an artifact of the darker pixels merely being close enough to fool the eye into "Connecting the dots".

So, there is nothing there...its an artifact.

There are several other areas of the picture that exhibit the exact same artifact, but their locations do not lend themselves as readily to misinterpretation.

So - This is not a UFO.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal