shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202203 - 17/03/03 01:24 PM Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Hunter's X Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Last Thursday aboyt 11 pm my 26 yo nephew was coming home from work and was hit by a drunk driver. He lives in Newmarket Maryland. They had to cut him out with the jaws-of-life and airlifted him to a trauma center. He was touch-and-go for a day or so but appears now that while he'll live, he may never be the same again. Here's what really pisses me off: the drunk driver was a police officer who had hit a pedestrian 5 years ago making him a paraplegic. The drunk cop only got a broken arm in this crash. My nephew had compound fractures of both thighs (tibia's?), a broken arm and a broken shoulder along with some areas on the CAT scan in his brain they are worried about. He now has steel rods in each leg and a steel plate in his arm. He was unconscious for a large amount of time and was on a ventilator. He was driving his late grandfathers '95 Hyundai with 140,000 miles which had an airbag warning light telling him to recharge the airbag. Apparently it did deploy and saved his life. My sister sent me some pictures... they tell the whole story. His wedding is scheduled for August 2003 too! Arggggggggghhhhhhhh!!! Hyundai Crash

#202204 - 17/03/03 01:38 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
I am sorry to hear that.
We will be thinking about you.
It will get better.

Marshall M
FF/Extrication Technition
MCFD

#202205 - 17/03/03 01:51 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
I'm sorry to hear about your nephew's accident. I certainly hope he will recover satisfactorily. My prayers and thoughts go out to him.

As for the drunk driver, I don't even want to think about that. I had a friend killed by a drunk driver who had 7 (yes...7) previous convictions. Something has got to change concerning drunk drivers. I liken habitual repeat offenders of this law as people with absolutely no regard for human life. And, therefore, should be handled accordingly....treat them the same as any person who has demonstrated a complete disregard for another human being's value of life. People are just too damn important to those around them for some insensitive, uncaring person, who can't control their habitual impulses, to take away.

OK...end of rant....

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#202206 - 17/03/03 02:41 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
That really sucks. I was hit head on by in uninsurred drunk driver 2.5 years ago. I'm 'ok'despite being the driver, but my parents are mentally and physically handicapped now. Recovery is a long process. Hope everything works out for ya.

#202207 - 17/03/03 03:05 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
n2fireresq Offline

Loc: Missouri
as being a police officer - i totally disagree with anyone being on a department that has been charged with such, but around here you usually are not hired with a dwi/dui on your driving record. i hope all goes well with your nephew and things can get back to somewhat normal.

#202208 - 17/03/03 03:37 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I hope he has a speedy recovery.

How the hell is a past DUI offender still allowed to be a cop in the first place? [Freak]

Don't even hesitate. As soon as posssible, find a good lawyer and sue the f**k out of his stupid ass. He's changed your nephews life forever probably and he deserves to never drive a motor vehicle again. Much less wear a badge or carry a gun.

My wife still suffers because some drunk-ass stupid kid slammed into us. They don't want to operate, but she's finished doing alot of the things we loved to do like diving and caving.

#202209 - 18/03/03 05:33 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Bobby_X Offline

Those pictures are very frightening. I hope he recovers quick, and can be back to normal soon and will be able to enjoy his wedding.

The thigh bones he broke are the femurs, and if they treat them the same for bilateral as they would for unilateral (ie, reaming and rodding them), they should be healed up very soon, and hopefully he'll be walking around before you know it!

#202210 - 18/03/03 05:41 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Man that brings a tear to my eyes..reason why cause I lost a best friend a few years back to some asshole drunk driver..But I seriously hope everything goes well for him and I wish him the best and certainly hope that prick cop gets everything that he deserves done to him...

#202211 - 18/03/03 06:19 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
i8a4re Offline

Loc: Winnipeg/Calgary Canada
man, that's always rough to hear. The physical damage is done, but hopefully he doesn't get too traumatized from it. To me, the persons mentality is the biggest thing to worry about. Hope everything goes well. Some people will call me an ass, but this is just another reason I always call police when I see drunk drivers.

Homer: What kind of mileage does this thing get?
McBain: One Highway, Zero City

#202212 - 18/03/03 06:29 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
jaws_o_life Offline

Loc: RVA
I'm very sorry to hear of the event that has over shadowed your family. Four months until the wedding is a lot of time for healing. My thoughts and prayers are with your nephew. Please keep us posted Hunter.

Chris
FF/EMT-P

#202213 - 18/03/03 06:37 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

Too angry to type coherent post... Damn drunk drivers!

When I was hit by a drunk driver a couple years ago, I was very fortunate to only have permanent damage to my lower back. And the accident led to us buying the Xterra. In another thread someone asked why non athiests would wear seat belts if we're so gung ho about wanting to go to heaven. I'd respond by saying that without my seatbelt, I would have probably suffered head, neck and internal injuries that I'd rather avoid if possible.

Be careful out there everyone, and for god's sake, don't drink and drive.

#202214 - 18/03/03 07:31 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by i8a4re:
man, that's always rough to hear. The physical damage is done, but hopefully he doesn't get too traumatized from it. To me, the persons mentality is the biggest thing to worry about. Hope everything goes well. Some people will call me an ass, but this is just another reason I always call police when I see drunk drivers.
Nah man your not an ass,,cause I call the police if I see one as well..

#202215 - 18/03/03 08:45 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
GrayHam Offline

Once again, proof that I have waaaaay more reason to fear for my life from fellow Americans on a daily basis than I will from just about any other entity in this world . . .

I'm sorry for the anguish your family is going through. I was hit by a drunk who ended up pushing me into the back of an off-duty police officer.

I wasn't injured that much. Thankfully, I was wearing my seatbelt, and the trunk of my (then) new car absorbed a great deal of the impact. I still get sore on stormy days, but I walked home from the accident . . .

I think you should sue the officer and the police department. Obviously, there isn't enough pressure on some police departments if there are officers with DUI convictions still carrying badges . . . maybe it'll take a little ol' lawsuit to get some people to realize that drunk driving kills, indiscriminately.

I wouldn't bet on it, though . . . frown

#202216 - 18/03/03 09:10 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck mad

I am sorry to hear about your nephew man, that accident looked horrible. Here's to his full and speedy recovery.

As for that driver, I hope you sue his ass into the poor house so he can't afford to drive ever again. While you're at it, take down his department for letting him stay on the job as a drunk.

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#202217 - 18/03/03 09:19 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I hate to say this, but if the cop was off duty, is it really right to sue the department? Sure, get his ass fired and put in jail (don't inmates have a lovely time with cops among them?). But are they responsible for every moment of his day?

I know that sounds callous, but it's not supposed to.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#202218 - 18/03/03 09:26 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
I hate to say this, but if the cop was off duty, is it really right to sue the department? Sure, get his ass fired and put in jail (don't inmates have a lovely time with cops among them?). But are they responsible for every moment of his day?

I know that sounds callous, but it's not supposed to.
He never says whether the cop was on duty or not.

In college, one of my roommates was a police officer who worked for the University (kind of a reserve officer, I guess, but he had been through the police academy). He was required to wear his badge at all times (he had it on his belt), and he carried a weapon to class (he was required to do so by the department, he said).

If officers are required to be on stand-by, basically, even when they are off-duty, then isn't there some measure of accountability for their actions? I know, it doesn't seem fair, but being a police officer carries heavy responsibilities . . .

#202219 - 18/03/03 09:45 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
A cop is on duty 24/7. He is totally responsible for his actions 24/7.
Sue him, his department and the city or town or county he works for. Start at 100 million and try to make it a landmark case.

#202220 - 18/03/03 09:51 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
i8a4re Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LoganvilleX:
A cop is on duty 24/7. He is totally responsible for his actions 24/7.
Sue him, his department and the city or town or county he works for. Start at 100 million and try to make it a landmark case.
that's the solution!! sue the department and the city/town! Make taxpayers pay for the dumbasses stupidity! I guess I should sue my city after getting a cold because they don't heat the outdoors!

edit: dumbass is in reference to the cop

#202221 - 18/03/03 09:56 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Hunter's X Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I want to thank everybody for the wonderful and sincere support. I wouldn't recognize any of you in person, but without knowing it, you have provided me with great comfort.

The good news is that my nephew, Todd, is now on his way to a rehab facility closer to his home so his future wife and his mother, father etc can see him regularly. He's a pretty tough kid who is happy-go-lucky and definately did not deserve this. As far as the cop who hit him, my sister and brother-in-law have been focusing on Todd until this point and haven't said much of anything about him and thier plans. My sister is a real tough cookie so I'm sure she will see justice through.

Thanks again to everyone. If you are ever in the Boston area, it would be my pleasure to buy you the beverage of your choice, as long as everyone doesn't show up on the same day!

Hunter [Wave]

#202222 - 18/03/03 10:56 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
Sure 100 million is rediculous. I was trying to make a point. Also in a lawsuit with a police officer, the controlling body the officer works for is always a part of the suit. If the taxpayers gotta pay, so be it. Maybe I just hold public officials on a higher accountability than most.

#202223 - 18/03/03 01:41 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
i8a4re Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LoganvilleX:
Sure 100 million is rediculous. I was trying to make a point. Also in a lawsuit with a police officer, the controlling body the officer works for is always a part of the suit. If the taxpayers gotta pay, so be it. Maybe I just hold public officials on a higher accountability than most.
I wasn't saying anything about the dollar figure. Just about suing the city etc. Sue the hell out of the cop, sure.. but the rest is uncalled for. The City can't control what he does when he's off-duty. If the guy worked for McDonalds, would you sue McDonalds? I don't care if he IS a cop.. he wasn't "at work", leave the employer out of it.

#202224 - 18/03/03 02:37 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunter's X:
I want to thank everybody for the wonderful and sincere support. I wouldn't recognize any of you in person, but without knowing it, you have provided me with great comfort.

The good news is that my nephew, Todd, is now on his way to a rehab facility closer to his home so his future wife and his mother, father etc can see him regularly. He's a pretty tough kid who is happy-go-lucky and definately did not deserve this. As far as the cop who hit him, my sister and brother-in-law have been focusing on Todd until this point and haven't said much of anything about him and thier plans. My sister is a real tough cookie so I'm sure she will see justice through.

Thanks again to everyone. If you are ever in the Boston area, it would be my pleasure to buy you the beverage of your choice, as long as everyone doesn't show up on the same day!

Hunter [Wave]
Ok Now where are we meeting up? wink laugh

#202225 - 18/03/03 02:41 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I´m sorry to hear about your nephew, and I´m glad he´s going to be OK. It's because of scenarios like these we traded in our Honda CR-V and bought a Ford Explorer (for my wife and son), too many assholes on the roads these days. I personally wouldn´t buy anything smaller than my Xterra, and the next vehicle I get will be even bigger.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#202226 - 18/03/03 03:32 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I see your point L'villeX, You know I agree. If he were on duty or on the way home from official duties then I think the department should be held responsible. (I'm sure that will be investigated)

The thing I don't understand, is how a man can carry a badge and a gun and shoot me, but can willfully drink and get behind the wheel knowing the law and it's consequences! It's fu**ing absurd. This guy is supposed to "protect and serve"?? No thanks. I'm sure other police officers would agree. What a disgrace to the shield..

His insurance company should feel the wrath of a good attorney. Your nephew has suffered pain and suffering and should be compensated to the fullest extent of the policy that a-hole had, and then some. Tell your relatives not to even talk to any people representing him or his insurance company in the absence of someone to represent them. Sometimes, insurance companies will try to get you to settle before you be properly represented. I know, I've been there. The guy that hit us hurt my wife and my kid, loosing his job was about the worst thing that happened to him.

#202227 - 19/03/03 04:06 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
usarock69 Offline

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Very sorry for what happened. Those pictures are pretty disturbing. Another proof that you never know what may happen to you. Even if you're careful, there are others on the road they don't care. It only takes one moron and a couple seconds to ruin your life. Again, I'm sorry.

Spend a bit of time in your Xterra and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal