shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#286123 - 26/02/01 08:35 AM 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Philosopher Offline

NISSAN XTERRA SUSPENSION

CALMINI Products, Inc announces the release of their new 3" suspension system for the Nissan Xterra 4wd sport utility. The complete kit includes laser crafted heavy duty longer upper control arms, new hi-angle upper ball joints, polyurethane bushings with sleeves, 27mm extreme duty torsion bars, rear dual leaf insert springs, rear sway bar extension links, rear shackles, bump stop extensions, 4 gas charged shocks w/boots, U-bolts and all necessary hardware and installation instructions. The complete system is powdercoated in signature CALMINI Blue. For further information contact: CALMINI Products Inc. 6951 Mcdivitt Dr. Bakersfield Ca. 93313 USA. Phone Orders: 1-800-345-3305. Tech Ph: 661-398-9500. Visa/Mastercard accepted.

[img]http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi...&ID_Message=449[/img]

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com

Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

[This message has been edited by Philosopher (edited 02-26-2001).]

#286124 - 26/02/01 09:53 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
You wouldnt happen to know how much it costs do you?

Looks pretty sweet.

I just talked to the company and the lift kit will sell in the $900 range.

------------------
Blenderheads Xterra Homepage

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

[This message has been edited by blenderhead (edited 02-26-2001).]

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#286125 - 26/02/01 12:34 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by blenderhead:
You wouldnt happen to know how much it costs do you?

I just talked to the company and the lift kit will sell in the $900 range.

Kinda answered your own question, no? ;>

In looking at the shackle extensions in the image above, it's a little scary. Look at the equivalent pieces from SLR and compare the quality and heavy-duty construction between the two. I'd be a little nervous with this kit. Seems to be more "rice" than offroad capable.

Anyone else agree?

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#286126 - 26/02/01 12:38 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Kinda answered your own question, no? ;>

In looking at the shackle extensions in the image above, it's a little scary. Look at the equivalent pieces from SLR and compare the quality and heavy-duty construction between the two. I'd be a little nervous with this kit. Seems to be more "rice" than offroad capable.

Anyone else agree?

Nope. Calmini didn't see the need for dropping the IFS and they have a different shackle design to allow more flex. Time will tell but Calmini's got a great reputation in the Isuzu / Suzuki world for making great products for decent prices.

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com

Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#286127 - 26/02/01 01:47 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I know this is silly, but I'm just trying to picture all that blue underneath a yellow X.

I wonder if they only distribute the kits or do they have a shop or outlets? I don't think I've seen their products offered at 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers, for example.

I think it's going to be one of those situations where I wait until there are x number of people who go with SLR and a similar number with the others and see which has the best feedback. I have no pride.

------------------

#286128 - 27/02/01 09:15 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
blueghost Offline

Loc: dallas, tx, usa
Agreed, I'll be waiting and watching too and let someone else be the guinea pig (especially since I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff).

Any susp guru want to compare this with the slr in detail for us?

------------------
blueghost
'01 Xterra SE 4x4

#286129 - 27/02/01 11:59 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Just to comment on BP's thing about the shackles--yes the SLR ones are beefier, however those ones look to be at least as beefy, probably stronger than the stock ones--I wouldn't worry about it. Calmini does seem to have a good rep, so if unless they had a mental breakdown when they designed this it should a good choice, provided they keep it priced reasonably.

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html ---> moving to http://www.4x4LO.com

#286130 - 27/02/01 08:23 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
blenderhead Offline

Here is Ranchos Xterra lift. I believe it is also a 3" lift. The shackles also can be subsituted for add a leafs. Also it is about 200 dollars less than the Calmini.
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1479294&a=11140594&p=42256587&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

------------------

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#286131 - 27/02/01 08:38 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
gothamist Offline

Umm...that's 4x4Parts Xterra lift, which is of highly questionable quality, since it effectively leaves you w/ no downtravel in the front (since you crank the torsion bars up pretty much all the way.) I don't think Rancho actually had anything to do w/ its development.

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member

#286132 - 27/02/01 08:55 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
blenderhead Offline

Ahhhh...thanks for the info. A friend of mine emailed it to me with no info. that does kind of suck having no downtravel.

------------------

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#286133 - 27/02/01 10:01 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
JLandX2000 Offline

Loc: USA
I've been reading this board for awhile now and appreciate all the great information. I don't want to start out on the wrong foot, but I helped install the 4x4parts lift on a Frontier and Xterra. There was plenty of downward travel when we were done. We went out wheeling and it worked out great. The ride was a little firmer than stock, but over all it seems like the best bang for the buck. They are all basically the same type of lift. The only difference is the price.

JL

------------------

#286134 - 28/02/01 04:45 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
gothamist Offline

Well it's good to hear someone is happy with their product, but even if it is of a better quality than it seems (one can only hope), I know a lot of people here, myself included, refuse to buy from them simply on account of what giant *ssholes they have been to many members of the X community--insulting FSRBiker's intelligence on their own bulletin board, deleting posts by people asking questions about their lift they'd rather not answer, refusing to let Pikachu know if they had shipped some longer shackles to him for 6 months (!), etc. The only reason they ever even started answering questions about their lift is because Carlton McMillan basically sat on their board and refused to go away until they provided some information...

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member

#286135 - 28/02/01 09:27 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
From what I have seen, If 4x4parts.com had been forthcoming with information about their lift in the begining, they might have seen significant sales in their lift. Instead they chose to alienate their potential customers.

From a business standpoint it was a big blunder. Products don't allways sell themselves. At this point the product quality and design is an irrelevant factor for many people.

Please don't take this as a flame towards 4x4parts, but merely a statement of the facts as I know them.

What I would like to see is an AC lifted Xterra on an RTI ramp, or at least in a setting where suspension travel can be seen. They have recently posted some pictures of it wheelin' in FL, unfortunately none of the pictures are of off camber situations.

------------------
:wq!
wqbang@southeastxterraclub.org

[This message has been edited by wqbang (edited 02-28-2001).]

#286136 - 01/03/01 05:00 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Sgt_Lobo Offline

Loc: Ocean Springs, MS
Here is a question for you all. Out of the 3 lifts, (Calmini, SLR stage 3, and 4x4parts), which do you think would be the best one at this point? Is the Calmini comparable with the SLR stage 3 lift, because it is a heck of alot cheaper. I was considering being a guinea pig, but I haven't decided which route to go if I get one. Right now I am leaning towards the Calmini. I would love to wait for the "supposed 5 inch kit", but I am having my doubts about it right now. Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

------------------
Sgt_Lobo
2000 4X4, SE, White
http://www.cableone.net/sgtlobo/xterra.htm

#286137 - 01/03/01 05:39 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
wqbang Offline

Th only differences between the SLR and Calmini are the diffrential drop brackets, and the replacement national springs. The Calamini springs are insert leafs. The SLR has also been seen in action on their site.

The Calmini looks to be pretty decent. They are supposedly releaseing more info soon.

------------------

#286138 - 02/03/01 03:26 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
There aren't even any drop brackets in the SLR kit, they are offset bushings. The front diff is bolted to the chassis through 6 round bushings, about 2" in diameter. SLR simply offsets the hole in the bushings to drop the diff, an elegant solution.

Who makes the tougher a-arm ? Hard to tell, all the designs are burly.

The high angle balljoints are probably all sourced from the same company.

All the kits require preloading the torsion bars to increase ride, there is no other way to do it (without a full drop kit).
The new upper a-arm is designed with more room between it and the top bumpstop, so downward travel is not compromised.

By lowering the diff just a small amount (3/4"), SLR reduces the angle of the CV joint when it is at full droop, causing less wear and possible damage.

The SLR kit is more expensive, but you get a lot more for the money (Stage I, II or III).

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#286139 - 24/03/01 05:08 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Gator Offline

Loc: Deltona Fl. U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
Th only differences between the SLR and Calmini are the diffrential drop brackets, and the replacement national springs. The Calamini springs are insert leafs. The SLR has also been seen in action on their site.

The Calmini looks to be pretty decent. They are supposedly releaseing more info soon.

I have looked at the picture of SLR's kit. I still don't see the part of the kit that drops the front diff. Also, if you lower the front diff without lowering the lower control arms, your CV joints will hit the lower control arm. Another thing is when you lower the lower control arms you have drop bracketry kit. It seems like all the others are upper control arm kits which allow more travel by being thinner where the bumpstops hit. Unless you torch out the the metal part of the bumpstop and lengthen both upper & lower control arms, your not going to see monstrous travel that everyone would like. I believe all the kits provide a little bit of extra travel. But I am still looking for that picture of the diff drop bracket.
Lator.....

------------------

#286140 - 24/03/01 05:30 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Gator Offline

My mistake, I looked again after reading XOC's post. I was looking for bracketry instead of bolts. Please do not take this the wrong way as I am only trying to figure out the whole picture. I think it is a great idea of using the bolts to drop the diff. Now my question is what happens to the diameter of the bolt? I hope someone who gets the kit can take some detailed pictures.
Lator...

#286141 - 24/03/01 09:01 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
XOC Offline
Admin

Bolts are not what drops the diff, the offset bushings do.

The bushing is offset about .75" from center, and allows the diff to sit lower.

The stock bolts mount it.

There should be a detailed install posted to a new section of XOC within 2 weeks.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#286142 - 25/03/01 06:18 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Gator Offline

Gotcha. That makes more sence. Thanks.
Lator....

------------------

#286143 - 25/03/01 07:54 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
There should be a detailed install posted to a new section of XOC within 2 weeks.

Oooo. That implies someone is actually having this installed. This is going to be interesting.

jeff

#286144 - 25/03/01 08:41 AM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
wqbang Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kirby34:
Oooo. That implies someone is actually having this installed. This is going to be interesting.

To me, that would imply that Ian is getting the lift. I have been wrong before though. Actually, twice...and it wasn't very pleasant.

------------------

#286145 - 10/05/01 04:04 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
Sc00ter Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas(But retired Cali...
This post has been dead for some time. Does anyone have new info about the Calmini lift?

Ian?

scoot

------------------
"There appears to be a loose nut on the keyboard!"

-- A typical morning at Candlewood suites.

#286146 - 10/05/01 05:05 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
XOC Offline
Admin

Should be shipping soon as far as I know.

Give them a call.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#286147 - 05/08/02 02:27 PM Re: 3" Suspension Lift from Calmini
mattL Offline

i thought maybe i should bring this topic back.

So it been awhile now and im wondering of what the people think if the calmini lift. Is it comparable to slr or better or is slr,s lift better than calmini?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal