shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71577 - 29/09/03 07:36 AM Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I've been thinking about getting a Calmini winch bumper (it will probably never get past thinking due to the cost/brokeness ratio but I can dream) and I've been wondering what those things do to you in a wreck.

I know that for little bumps and scrapes the ARBs etc. have saved people from a lot of costly damage - but I wonder if it might kill you in a bad wreck... it seems like it would defeat the crumple zones and airbag.

I have heard that in old cars - before all of the crumple zones etc - that sometimes after a wreck the car would be fine... and the people would all be dead.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know of a really bad crash with one of these installed and how the people fared?

Sorry to be morbid here - but it's definitely worth a second thought if that cool add-on might cost you your life.

#71578 - 29/09/03 07:51 AM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
It's hard to know for sure but I would assume that in a serious crash the ARB would colllapse. It is mounted to the crumple zone on the frame so that would definitely give some. Without question more force would be transferred to the passenger compartment than with a regular bumper but I don't know if it would make enough difference to kill you. It is my understanding that the bumper was designed to survive a large mamalian impact but not necesarily a vehicle impact.

#71579 - 29/09/03 07:59 AM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
The only safety issues that exist with aftermarket bumpers are airbag related. The addition of a much stronger bumper in some cases can lead to a delay or even no deployment of airbags in some instances.I believe that the newer Generation II airbag system sensors etc. don't have this problem. Regardless, your crumples zones are still there,and will function as intended. At lower speeds the addition of a stout bumper can save you $$$. Also a stout aftermarket bumper can be benificial at high speeds when hitting an object of lesser mass, a cow, a deer,or in one case on XOC a washing machine.

#71580 - 29/09/03 09:14 AM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
How could a stronger bumper cause an airbag to not deploy? If anything, a stronger bumper would transmit a STRONGER crash pulse to the sensor, making it MORE likely to fire. The problem would be that it would fire in milder impacts than usual, perhaps in something like a fender-bender (as an example, but I doubt it) which would result in a much more expensive repair.
Yes, it might cause the airbags to fire a bit sooner than they normally would as well, there's a chance the airbag might not still be "fully" inflated by the time you come in contact with it, but I doubt this is really an issue.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#71581 - 29/09/03 09:40 AM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
How could a stronger bumper cause an airbag to not deploy? If anything, a stronger bumper would transmit a STRONGER crash pulse to the sensor, making it MORE likely to fire. The problem would be that it would fire in milder impacts than usual, perhaps in something like a fender-bender (as an example, but I doubt it) which would result in a much more expensive repair.
Yes, it might cause the airbags to fire a bit sooner than they normally would as well, there's a chance the airbag might not still be "fully" inflated by the time you come in contact with it, but I doubt this is really an issue.

Brent
For some reason I had always assumed that meal had to bend for the airbag sensors to go off... like maybe the thing went open-circuit when it got destroyed - indicating a problem to the control computer.

Now that I think about it a little (and did a quick google search), they are probably just accelerometers (as you suggest) that indicate a crash long before they get destroyed (if at all)... unless there is a specific shock frequency caused by crunching metal that would be absent (not likely).

#71582 - 29/09/03 12:54 PM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Perhaps, good point....It all depends on which types of sensors a vehicle incorporates. There are crush sensors,accelerometer sensors etc. All in all, get the aftermarket bumper. There may be more initial shock loading I would think, but perhaps less intrusion in an accident involving a crushable object. Check out www.tarorigin.com/art/Ephillips for more good info on types of sensors etc. Oh yah, to complicate matters more the X has seatbelt pre-tensioners so hey anybodys guess!

#71583 - 29/09/03 04:38 PM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
The X has the sensor that detects the quick slow down associated with crashes. It is located underneath the center console. Or at least one of them is.

#71584 - 29/09/03 04:59 PM Re: Are aftermarket bumpers safe?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hartwig:
The X has the sensor that detects the quick slow down associated with crashes. It is located underneath the center console. Or at least one of them is.
4WD models have an additional sensor in front of the radiator that measures deceleration. I'm not sure why 2WD's don't have it and 4WD's do, but I imagine it has something to do with 4WD's having a higher likelihood of having an offroad accident and perhaps it adds some extra sensitivity?

In any case, I know ARB makes all their bumpers airbag compatible and since all the other ones for the Xterra are pretty similar I wouldn't expect much difference. The bumper mounts to the accordian section of the frame and doesn't affect the crumple zones.

And with all this, remember that seatbelts save more lives than airbags do. The airbag is an "extra" restraint that is intended to supplement your seatbelts. Always wear your belt and you won't have to worry so much about the airbag.

And remember, front airbags only work in severe frontal impacts.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal