shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54653 - 28/11/00 11:09 PM New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
RonB Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
After catching a ride in my mothers van (a Toyota Sienna) - I noticed that it has a auto dimming mirror WITH a compass and outside temp guage. Since we were already making a trip to the Nissan I asked about a similar product for the X's. They do have them (listed as an optional extra for the 2k1's). I wanted to know if anyone has tried to install one of these yet on their X. The two questions I have are 1- where did you wire it into the electrical system (since something has to power it) and 2- where does the temp guage go?

#54654 - 29/11/00 05:53 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
If you look on Xterraparts.com I think they have an installation guide. I remember seeing it somewhere - and yes, it involves a fair bit of wiring, since it must also be hooked into the reverse gear (so it automatically un-dims so you can see) along with power, headlight sensor (so it doesn't dim during the day) and the temperature probe.

I happen to like that mirror and wish my X had it. I'm considering getting it aftermarket and doing the install myself, but the costs I've seen were kinda high. I think though, that they can be had for $216 or so.

Also, check out Mito Corp. which has these same mirrors. The installation instructions are there also.

#54655 - 29/11/00 06:27 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
mikkip13 Offline

Loc: Odon, Indiana 47562
I think the mirror is definately worth getting. We had it put on ours and I have no regrets!

#54656 - 29/11/00 07:26 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
I got one from Xterraparts and installed it myself..

as for wwhere it is wired into the electrical system.. I only rn power to it.. I did not hook it to the reverse gear. (I did not feel the need)

the temp sensor I put inot the grill so it is fairly accurate.

#54657 - 29/11/00 10:01 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
AFroman Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Is the temp and compass circuitry built into the mirror itself, or is there a separate "brain"?

------------------
- Dan
2000 Silver 4x2 XE 5sp

#54658 - 29/11/00 10:13 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Carlton McMillan Offline

the compass circutry is in the mirror.. the temp is in the sensor I believe..

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
www.geocities.com/swxterraclub/SouthwesternXterraClub.html

#54659 - 29/11/00 12:36 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK now I'm confused... Carlton hope you can help.
I called marlboro nissan and asked them about this item. Here's what i was told.

Apparently 2001 Xterra's come pre-wired for the mirrors. To install all you have to do is pull the taped up wire harness down from the head-liner and click the connectors on the mirror and bam, your installed.
My question... Is this true? Carlton how was was installation experience with this thing? Was thier some sort of clip that you cut and spliced to install, or is this guy not tellin the full scoop.
What did the instructions say?

Secondly, I've scanned Xterraparts.com and can't find it.

What gave me the idea was when I saw these as an accessory in the new frontiers and thought "frontier = xterra" in terms of front end" (no flames please, they are similar )

Please help...
Thanks

[This message has been edited by kennedyusmc (edited November 29, 2000).]

#54660 - 29/11/00 12:57 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
BoarderPhreak Offline

Whoa, seriously?

If the 2001 X's are already wired... I'm gonna run and get me one uh them thar mirrors post-haste.

Not that I don't like to tinker, but if it's that easy... I was already considering a compass (later to replaced with GPS) and have a cheezy inside/outside thermometer that I picked up at Target (matches the interior!)

#54661 - 29/11/00 02:04 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to dime anyone out, but that's what Jamie @ Marlboro Nissan explained to me.

Carlton, where are you? can you clarify?
Also, do you have a part number for the accessory you installed. That would be much appreciated.

Boarderphreak, look in your headliner right above your mirror, tell us what you got. Didn't you say you saw the installation instructions on Xterraparts.com? If you could link me there... I've searched the site from top to bottom and can find nothing.

So far I've seen a lot of talk about this item, but am yet to find any info on one other than this message board.

#54662 - 29/11/00 02:29 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
BoarderPhreak Offline

It turns out that the installation instructions that I saw came from that Mito Corp site...

I'll take a look and see about the wires... I have a 2001 SE, so it should be there, if it is.

#54663 - 29/11/00 02:34 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
blue Offline

Loc: Erie, PA
Here are the installation instructions from mitocorp.com (that Carlton mentioned).
http://www.mitocorp.com/mirinst1.htm

------------------
Blue
'01 XE/3pk Auto
Just Blue 4x4

#54664 - 29/11/00 02:53 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
BoarderPhreak Offline

That's the one, Blue. Not Nissan-specific - just what the mirror needs.

I looked at my headliner, near the mirror - and found no such dongle. Perhaps it's in there somewhere, but it's dark out and I can't really check it out right now.

ElektroKen - or someone with a service manual should be able to verify this...

#54665 - 29/11/00 02:56 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
That's the one, Blue. Not Nissan-specific - just what the mirror needs.

I looked at my headliner, near the mirror - and found no such dongle. Perhaps it's in there somewhere, but it's dark out and I can't really check it out right now.

ElektroKen - or someone with a service manual should be able to verify this...

I believe he has the service manual for the 2000 model, not the 2001.

#54666 - 29/11/00 03:06 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
BoarderPhreak Offline

Hmmm... Bummer.

I'll be getting one... Eventually. I have better things to spend that kinda quid on right now, like hard steel, bigger rubber and brighter whites. ;>

Maybe a dealer (hint, hint) or someone that is going by one can take a look at one they have in stock?

#54667 - 29/11/00 05:47 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's another aftermarket that's cheaper than the mitocorps one ($200). Also, you don't have worry about hookin it up to the rear backup lights.
This is probably the one I'll be getting.

http://www.donnellye.com/_private/prod01.htm

Also here's an Xterra owner who has given a description of how they installed it!

http://www.donnellye.com/customer.htm

#54668 - 29/11/00 11:11 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Carlton McMillan Offline

I am back.. long afternoon and evening of shooting here in Dalas.. (photography that is)

Don't know about the prewiring.. I have a 2000 Xterra.. but I highly doubt that that is the case..

The install was rather simple.. you splice into some of the wires near the fuse box. then you run the wire for the temp guage into the engine compartment. The mirror is a swap with the existing one (you don't have to glue anything) The wires that go to the mirror are run up the A-pillar and under the headliner to the mirror.

I don't think that Xterraparts.com has it up on their site. You will need to call them.

hope that helps :-)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. (I was shooting Graham Nash :-)

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2

#54669 - 01/12/00 12:33 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
TXterra Offline

Loc: Thomasville, North Carolina
On another Xterra message board, this topic came up a couple of days ago and it was noted that the 2001 X was prewired for the electric mirror with compass and temp gauge. I do not know that for a fact, but am relating what a reputable member of the message board said.

Here is some specific info:

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
w/compass and temp. gauge part number 999L1-AM001
w/compass only part number 999L1-AM002

It is the same for Pathfinder, Xterra, Frontier, Quest,Maxima, Altima, and Sentra.

------------------
West TXterra

#54670 - 01/12/00 01:18 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
This gets weirder and weirder. I have a '01 and I just wired my Valentine One Radar Locater from the fuse box, up the A-Pillar, under the headliner, and down past the stock mirror where it sticks to the windshield. During this process, I encountered NO SUCH WIRE HARNESS! If its tucked back farther into the headliner, fine, but I didn't see it. I would buy the mirror from Nissan TODAY if the pre-work was done! Is the temperature sensor there too?

Steve? Is anyone out there who can refute or support this? Ian?

------------------
Thanks,

kjw & the
"PNUT-MNM"

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#54671 - 01/12/00 02:02 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Mojo Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
I am back.. long afternoon and evening of shooting here in Dalas.. (photography that is)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. (I was shooting Graham Nash :-)

Wow! Were David and Stephen there?

------------------
Mojo
Spring, TX, USA (suburb of Houston)
2001 Xterra SE 4x4
Super Black with silver Waag brushguards

#54672 - 01/12/00 08:05 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Carlton McMillan Offline

nope.. just Graham.. he even sang a song for out little group.. it was cool.. "Our House"

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2

#54673 - 02/12/00 07:28 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
twobeagles Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
No all 2001 Xterras were wired for the dimming mirror/compass/temp guage. Go to xterraparts.com and follow their installation instuctions. Apparently later 2001 models were wired. You can tell by what kind of mirror mount you have.

#54674 - 02/12/00 10:36 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
blue Offline

Loc: Erie, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by twobeagles:
No all 2001 Xterras were wired for the dimming mirror/compass/temp guage. Go to xterraparts.com and follow their installation instuctions. Apparently later 2001 models were wired. You can tell by what kind of mirror mount you have.

If you've found the install instructions on xterraparts.com, please post the link. Also, what qualifies as "later" for the 2001?

------------------
Blue
'01 XE/3pk Auto
Just Blue 4x4

#54675 - 02/12/00 11:35 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by blue:
If you've found the install instructions on xterraparts.com, please post the link. Also, what qualifies as "later" for the 2001?

It seems that PartsPeddler has been paying close attention to the board because the mirror(s) are now on the front page of the xterraparts.com online store. Just go to http://www.xterraparts.com/onlinestore/merchant.mv? and there are links for both mirrors (with and without the temp display).

#54676 - 02/12/00 01:13 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Steve Fisk Offline

Loc: Marlboro, Massachusetts, U.S. ...
"Steve? Is anyone out there who can refute or support this? "

I'll look into it. I didn't know you guys were all interested in it, and so I may even make a webpage just about this item. If you ever need me you should e-mail me at steve@marlboronissan.com or post on ITW, as I don't get over here very much. (Just not enough hours in a day.)

BorderPhreak, why don't you give me a call and I'll see if I can get you some sort of special deal on one of these. If you want one and it's just a question of what it costs I'm sure I can do something for you. I'm at 800-689-6560 Tues-Sat.

http://www.xterrastore.com

#54677 - 03/12/00 06:33 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Andrew Offline

Loc: Key West, Florida
I really don't see the need for the mirror.
If you want to see how cold it is outside
just roll the window down and stick your head out. The only time I ever had a problem with
high beams from other vehicles, is when a
lifted Ford sitting on 44 inch mudders got behind me. And is a compass really necessary?
If you have to go someplace thats warrants a
compass, I think a cheap Timex, with compass
will do just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal