2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#316826 - 17/12/03 09:38 AM MXG Event and Community Ideas
Western Brewer Offline

Loc: Rochester, MN
There have been a lot of great ideas thrown out for events for the upcoming MXG in Hayward. I'm starting this thread to open discussion about specifics (and elect leaders for events), and mainly because the main MXG thread is getting pretty lenghty so I thought we could put the ideas for events here and the general information in the other thread...

I guess I'll start: Being a beer brewer and outdoor enthusiast I'd like to hike and imbibe a bit on the trip. That said, if this is anything like last year, it will probably be pretty muddy and the hiking may not be the most fun. Which leaves us with more time to enjoy beer (although if anyone is still interested in some hikes I would do my best to try to find something interesting to see).

That said, I'm curious if anyone else brews beer and would like to share at MXG. Also, I'm planning to brew a batch (maybe two, we'll see) for the event. Does anyone have any suggestions for styles, etc.?

For those who don't drink. I'm really sorry. I would try to make some soda (Root Beer or something), but the only time I tried that it was a horrible experiment in food science and pressure thresholds of brown glass bottles. If I find a good recipe I'll try to make it, but please don't get your hopes up as my adventurous spirit for the unfermented drink is not very healthy after that last root beer experiment.

Any other ideas for events or cooking or craft things people would like to share or lead?

#316827 - 17/12/03 04:42 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
I like Brown Ales... my favorite is Newcastle

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#316828 - 17/12/03 07:26 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
catering chef Offline

Loc: Burnsville,MN
How about a "chilli "cook off?!? Maybe to go with all the beer? [Wave]

#316829 - 17/12/03 08:10 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Mapman Offline

In that case, maybe I'll stay at a different camp site! J/K laugh

#316830 - 17/12/03 09:01 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Matt you know I'll only drink beer that says preminum beer on the can! wink So write that on the keg and I'll drink it! laugh

Chef is an awesome cook! If he up to it I would have him cook! We just have to prove the fixings

"whacked out awards"
They are more or less to make you smile. I will give out for the following awards.

Best Stuck Truck
Dirtest Truck (may just go with Stuck Truck)
Cleanest Truck
And other things I have not thought of yet. If you think of some post them.

We need a Geocach Master! Bueller..Bueller...anyone??

I have a trail driving test planned involving your co-pilot. I

This an itinerary rough draft I did. It's been in my briefcase for a while. Read it over and post what you think??? If you think we should change something, post up by all means. If you think of something post it.

This is what I came up for an itinerary. This is more or less a rough outline of what we can do.
The trails will be determined by Chris. He has done the most scouting and exploring in the area.

Thursday May 6th
Scouting Trails In The Morning
9:00am till ???
Meeting place: Hayward KOA

Most may not be here yet, so scouting some trails would be in order. The area is east of Rock Lake Area (Rock Lake is about 8 miles east of Cable). I have not been to this area, so it could quite interesting exploring some new trails. Stopping at noon for packed lunch or finding a place to eat. Also a good time to
gather firewood in the forest

Thursday May 6th
Meet, Heat, & Eat
7:00pm
Where: (T.B.A.)

First night in the Northwoods (ahhhhh!). Come and meet everyone involved. Bring a chair, your burgers, brats, fixings, marshmallows, and warm up around the campfire. Maybe get a little night wheeling in, if we are up to it!

Friday May 7th
Road Trip!!... to Gitchee Gummee (Lake Superior)
Time: 9:00AM
Meeting Place: Seeley Sawmill Saloon Parking Lot

Road trip for sightseeing and history. Heading north on Hwy 63 through the stretches of Chequamegon National Forest and finally overlooking the Apostle Islands. After an hour's drive arriving at Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center. A place for natural history, early settlers, and shipwrecks on Lake Superior. Their tower gives a good look over Chequamegon Bay. A 30 minute drive northbound arriving at Bayfield, A New England style town on the shores of Lake Superior. Great place for shopping (hint hint for our better halves) and for a bite to eat. Then heading west through the northern most end of the Chequamegon National Forest for some offroading south to Ashland. Stopping there at "Deep Waters" for dinner and brewski from their micro brewery. We should be able to make it back before nightfall for a campfire.

Links
• Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center www.northerngreatlakescenter.org/
• Bayfield www.Bayfield.org
• Apostle Islands http://www.nps.gov/apis/
• Madeline Island Ferry http://madferry.com/ferryschedule.html
• Madeline Island http://www.madelineisland.com/indexf.htm
• An insight to Ashland's past http://www.jsonline.com/dd/destwis/oct02/85482.asp

Saturday May 8th
Hit The Trails
Time: 9:00AM
Where: TBA

A Full day of exploring some old trails and new ones we have not done. At noon stopping somewhere along the trail for lunch. After lunch just for fun, a driving test. This will involve you, your driving skills, and your co pilot. Either your will make them proud or all wet!! Keep wheeling and do a hunt & hide for a geocach in the area we are in. After dusk plan on doing some night runs on trails near Seeley. Some are quite easy and some can be techical. If not for that, nice to cut the lights on the X and see the stars.

Sunday May 9th
Hit The Trails
Time: 8:00AM

Heading out a little earlier to hit trails before heading home.

#316831 - 17/12/03 09:12 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Important note: If you are want to stay at Two Lakes Campground reserve now. I tried last year in Feb. They were booked. This campground I'll told fills fast due to the lakes and fishing season starts in May.

I would stay at Two lakes, but the wife and daughter shot it down. FYI Two lakes is a campsite, handpump water, and pit toilet. The area is quite beautiful though and worth the stay. My "ladies" want running water, So I will be at KOA. [Crybaby]

#316832 - 17/12/03 09:57 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
Mmmmm beer...
Date?
Time?
Where?
[Freak]

#316833 - 22/12/03 08:22 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Has anyone else have any input???

#316834 - 22/12/03 08:53 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I think your itinerary looks pretty good. You can't really go wrong because it is the first year of the event.

#316835 - 01/01/04 10:55 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
Dan has done an excellent job. Thanks Dan. Is winter over yet?

#316836 - 01/01/04 06:35 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Thanks Chris! It was such a good time last year, it's well worth doing again.

I am sorry I have not be on here enough. I have been driving 200 miles north almost every weekend for a couple of projects.

Happy New Year, Dan

#316837 - 04/01/04 11:13 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Reply to Matt's post:

You bought up some fine aspects of planning MXG. As far as leaders this is who I vote for:

I vote Chris for "Master of Trailblazing" since he has the most scouting in the area. The one thing to keep in mind we do have some new members in MaDXOC. We should get a feel of everyone abilities and skills attending.

I vote Matt for "Master Hiker" We can fit some hikes and bikes in there I'm sure. I have the CAMBA Maps, they are 3 years old. This will give you a genaeral idea of where the trails are and difficulty. I will bring them up with me and you can look them over. I will bring my mountain bike up and Natasha's (my daughter)There are plenty of trails. Rock lake area is the toughest single track trail is Wisconsin IMHO. North of Cable is some good easy trails. I also have lights for our bikes!

Since Matt is bring the brew I think we all that enjoy his brew an make a small "donation" to the "Master Premium Brewer Foundination Fund" I look at this as supporting the arts!

I do not think I should vote for myself and is not morally right, but votes are welcome? laugh I am more than willing to assist and help in what ever or who ever I can.

I will be bringing my "new" camper up. I tend to bring alot. I will have spare lanterns if anyone needs to use. Also all the stuff to cook with too.

Does this help? Dan

#316838 - 04/01/04 03:41 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Western Brewer Offline

Loc: Rochester, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Excelagator:
...I vote Matt for "Master Hiker" We can fit some hikes and bikes in there I'm sure.....

Since Matt is bring the brew I think we all that enjoy his brew an make a small "donation" to the "Master Premium Brewer Foundination Fund" I look at this as supporting the arts!
Thanks for the votes Dan! Unfotunately, you might not want to put me in charge of biking though. I don't own a bike anymore and it's been years since I've ridden one. I'd hate to embarrass myself as the "leader" of a biking expedition. I would be happy to look into hikes however.

I also appreciate the thought of "donating" for the beer, but I can't accept it. Someone might misconstrue that for "selling" it, and I'd sure hate to go to jail for tax evasion. Instead of donations, I ask simply for suggestions and the courage to try it. If you still feel the need to "donate", please support your local craft brewers and bring up some Leinie's, Summit, James Page, Goose Island, or other favorite microbrew.

Now about those suggestions... I have one vote for "premium" beer and one for a brown ale. Anyone else?

I'll start looking at hikes probably in a few weeks (have to finish up this stupid thesis first). And I vote Dan "Chief Organizer" and "Gadget Guru #1" (I'm sure there will be serveral of these). smile

Matt

#316839 - 04/01/04 07:08 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

I can take on the biking part of it Matt. I'm nowhere as fast as I use to be. I can though do some pretty good techical riding for an old guy!

Really if it says beer, I like it. I like Red beer, ie Leine's Red or Killain's Red.

Thanks for the vote Matt! laugh

On a side note speaking of gadgets, I turned lately to Hardware (hardware sounds cool) cool I will let the cat out of the bag and tell everyone what I have been working on(although some of you already know) [Sleep] . I have been working with a certified welder fabricating and designing sliders for the our beloved Xterras. laugh This past weekend we finished the jig for welding these. We have made mock-ups for positioning and fit. If everything goes well with testing with Chris and I;hopefully, at MXG we will be sporting these for everyone to see, inspect, and play with. I would appreciate any input.

#316840 - 05/01/04 12:16 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Sweet gig . I look forward to seeing the sliders.

#316841 - 05/01/04 07:04 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hartwig:
Sweet gig . I look forward to seeing the sliders.
Yeah me too, as soon as we get them done laugh I keep ya posted.

#316842 - 05/01/04 07:15 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

I forgot...

Who is going to be our "Master of Geocach", Bueller...Bueller..anyone
Dan

#316843 - 05/01/04 07:17 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Mapman Offline

I'd offer, but I just found out I have to be somewhere else that weekend! DOH I'll at least be in Cheesehead land! Just not far enough North! mad

#316844 - 05/01/04 07:25 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by EAP:
I'd offer, but I just found out I have to be somewhere else that weekend! DOH I'll at least be in Cheesehead land! Just not far enough North! mad
Duuude! That is just not acceptable! Just break it, break it, break it!
Dan

#316845 - 05/01/04 07:41 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Mapman Offline

Problem is it's my Fraternities 10 year anniversary. I was part of the original 9 guys that started it and if I don't show, I am going to catch hell from about 300 guys for the rest of my life! Trust me, I'm not happy about it! I was looking forward to field testing the new Shrockworks bumper, tires, shocks and lights!! ERRGGGHHHH The damn Fraternity messes with my life once again! mad

#316846 - 05/01/04 07:53 PM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Excelagator Offline

Sucks! Believe me, we will have quite a few wheeling & camping trips this summer. I was looking forward to wheeling and kicking back and have a few beers with you!! confused frown [Uh Oh !] [Crybaby]
Dan

#316847 - 08/01/04 06:28 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
EAP- GDI all they way!!!! [Laughing] J/K.

We should have a scavenger hunt on the drive there. We do that when we go to the UP. 6 hour drive, nothing to look at. Makes the trip fun. some info from his torical markers, billboards, landmarks. The person with the most out of say 30 wins something cool. I will work on that. I am going to the Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza so I can get them from all areas. Fun AAAAND educational. [Wave]

#316848 - 08/01/04 07:33 AM Re: MXG Event and Community Ideas
Mapman Offline

Please pardon my ignorance, but what does GDI stand for? confused

edited to add: OK it's been awhile since I graduated college, it only took me a half hour to remember that.... G*d Damn Independent! Thanks alot! laugh

Moderator:  Mapman 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal