2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500317 - 12/03/06 03:54 PM Calmini SAS long term
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Those of you that have had the system on for a while now:
How is the kit holding up?
Anything you would change?
How are the on road manners after it been beaten up a bit off road?
What gearing are you running?
I'm seriously looking into doing this soon so any input from the few who have the system would be appreciated.
Thanks

#500318 - 12/03/06 04:35 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It is holding up well to the brutal MN winter.

The ride is still better than the IFS and is still as tight as the day I put it on.

As for things I would change. The only thing that bugs me is that the steering linkage is not adjustable. You have to pop off one end of the link or the other to center the steering wheel.

Aside from that it is tops.

As for gears you have choices. If you are running the stock 4.63 gears (check for each year of production) you can use the 4.56 gears and not swap out the rear.

However you would be better served to get the 4.88 replacement for the rear and go with a 4.88 in the front. ( or higher )

#500319 - 12/03/06 06:09 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Saline Offline

Thanks for the info Carlton,
I have the 4:63's and am concerned about power loss with 33's on the highway. I am contimplating going with 5:13's for gears, but that is $$$. Loaded with camping gear etc and with 32's right now the X doesn't accelerate....it acumulates speed.

#500320 - 12/03/06 06:34 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Anonymous
Unregistered

mine was doing good besides some track-bar issues i was having...but that was solved by a few rolls down the freeway...
my truck was totalled a couple weeks ago and i have now since sold the kit off my truck...
but it rode much better than IFS...
a friend of mine has it on his X and loves it, it rides great...not too difficult to put on either...

if i still had my truck i would definately change the steering linkage and the trackbar to have right and left hand threads so i could adjust on the vehicle without taking them off...

I was running 5.13s and they were good but gas mileage was bad over 60mph on the freeway...

#500321 - 12/03/06 07:22 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Anonymous
Unregistered

i purchased an axle with the 4.9 xterra gears for $290 from a junk yard instead of $450 from a store or dealer.

i have just started to accumulate the parts needed for the sas, hope to be done by years end.

#500322 - 12/03/06 07:25 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Saline Offline

Sorry to hear about your accident. I saw your pics on another forum. Glad your ok.
You looking to sell the 5:13's at all?

#500323 - 12/03/06 07:39 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Anonymous
Unregistered

What kind of rig are you going to build next?

I can't help but laugh with all the... "good to hear you didnt die, will you sell your parts cheap...."

Good to have you still with us bro!! Cant wait to see your next project! laugh

#500324 - 12/03/06 08:34 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Saline Offline

Hey c'mon...I didn't ask if he'd sell em' "cheap", I just asked if he was looking to sell em'! laugh

#500325 - 28/03/06 06:07 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
I’ve beaten up mine pretty well for 10+ months now on a lot of trails and it holding up pretty well. Overall a well made kit with high quality components IMO.

As mentioned the steering linkage adjustment can be a pain, I’ve thrown my alignment off two of the last three runs in the rocks and have to take it apart to center the wheel. I might experiment with X over steering and a flat top knuckle on the passenger side before the summer. The angle on the pitman arm could be better.

I would consider going with a heavy coil spring rate (maybe 350lbs instead of 300) if I was doing it again, but that’s just me because we Baja a bit more than most out here.

I’ve had my share of front driveshaft problems…I’m on my 3rd version, so far this release seems to be working better for the last two runs, so hopefully that’s a thing of the past.

5.13/5.14 gears with 34's ~ 12mpg. Power is nice to have but you do sacrifice some MPG. I found the gears for cheap otherwise I think I would have went with 4.9's.

One thing to remember is your adding weight to truck with the heavy front axle, beef long arms, x members, etc.

#500326 - 28/03/06 06:29 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
I’ve had my share of front driveshaft problems…I’m on my 3rd version, so far this release seems to be working better for the last two runs, so hopefully that’s a thing of the past.

What happened to your second one and what are you doing with your third one that is differant?

#500327 - 28/03/06 08:30 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Anonymous
Unregistered

Enquiring minds want to know.

#500328 - 28/03/06 09:17 PM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
2nd one was binding in certain full droop instances so I took into the shop that makes them so they could see the contact marks and rework it, which they did. Basically they needed to grind/machine more so that CV would go 40 degrees in any instance/position. Before that it would only get 40 degrees in about ¾ of the potential positions.

I have to give kudos to CALMINI [ThumbsUp] for the excellent support/service on this line of products, they always been quick to help, answer any questions, go over stuff with me, etc.

#500329 - 29/03/06 08:08 AM Re: Calmini SAS long term
Anonymous
Unregistered

The steering linkage issue that has been mentioned, is that somthing Calmini is looking at reworking so as to make adjustments more userfriendly?

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal