2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98328 - 14/05/06 04:53 PM offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I know people have been out on trails and had things break.. So what broke and how did you fix it?? Trying to educate myself on off-road repairs..

#98329 - 14/05/06 09:09 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Punctured a hole in the oil pan. Alpine Tribe had some JB water weld to fix it. I now carry water weld laugh

#98330 - 14/05/06 10:03 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep POR-15 epoxy putty for the same things.
Also extra bolts and nuts for those things that shake loose. When I get a chance I'm going to get one of these. Clicky
It's not suitable for alot of welding like fabrication but small jobs and trailside is what it's designed for.

#98331 - 15/05/06 06:21 AM Re: offroad fixes
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Damn - that's a really broad question!

laugh

A few:

Put quarters behind stripped t-bars to shim the bar's into unstripped splines.

Use jumper cables to tack weld small repairs.

A hi-lift jack handle can be used to sub or brace tie rods, etc.

There's rubber floor plugs you can pull to let water out if you flood the X.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#98332 - 15/05/06 06:42 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

i went wheelin with UNYX back in april and one of the guys(cornick) punchured a wheel. not a tire, a wheel. tried to fix it bout couldnt. always carry a full size spare.

#98333 - 15/05/06 01:41 PM Re: offroad fixes
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
My simple rule of thumb...

"If it moves and it's not supposed to, duct tape it."

"If it's supposed to move and won't, WD-40 it."

Sounds funny but it really works..

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#98334 - 15/05/06 06:40 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
My simple rule of thumb...

"If it moves and it's not supposed to, duct tape it."

Tim
"if you cant duct it, f%^& it!"

#98335 - 15/05/06 06:42 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

i carry tbar anchors and adjustors. ive bent one to shit on the trail and have seen others fail as well. when it started to be become common, i started carrying the spares.

i can replace either one in about 30 min. maybe less. way too much practice.

#98336 - 15/05/06 07:13 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

1) snapped a front braided brake line. Clamped it off w/ vice grips and drove home carefully.

2) broke the rear drive shaft flange yoke (where it attaches to the rear axle). Took off rear drive shaft from the carrier bearing (I've got a 2-piece driveshaft on my Frontier) and drove home in FWD.

3) miscellaneous breaks (CV shafts, tires, etc.). Just replaced/repaired the parts on trail w/ replacement parts.

#98337 - 16/05/06 10:24 AM Re: offroad fixes
xterra3202 Offline

I like that steelx!!!!

Keep a good set of tools with you and some basic fluids and such. Just one little tid bit is a syringe, a big one, so that if you tear up a CV boot you can...duct tape it...or whatever reapir you can do use the syringe to put some grease back in and put some silicone over the hole.

Army BDAR Kit

The above linke, hopefully it works, is for a listing of the new Battle Damage Assesment and Recovery Kits for the Army. They are great and could be a good guide of what to take with you.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#98338 - 16/05/06 01:41 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

3 alternator replacements for me. One on the trail, the others followed within the same month. Fun times.

I can replace them blindfolded now... laugh

#98339 - 17/05/06 01:32 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

did someone have a spare alternator???

#98340 - 17/05/06 05:57 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I scratched a rock real bad once.....

So I just flipped it over so no one would see it. :rolleyes:

#98341 - 17/05/06 06:23 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

We did the same epoxy trick on my buddies oil pan. I was amazed it lasted. He got rid of the car a year later, the patch was still holding strong. FWIW, we used Devcon 5 minute epoxy and a little sandpaper to scuff up the area. I always take an extra quart of two of oil.

I've used a pair of vicegrips to grab the end of a clutch cable that had the ball break off. The fork pushed against the vicegrip pliers, which pulled the cable. Worked like new.

Used a jumper wire to bypass a thermal switch when my engine was overheating. The switch failed open, so the fan wouldn't come on. I was miles away from a paved road during the middle of Summer. The fan then ran anytime the key was on until I finally got around to replacing it.

Used a crowbar to bend the radiator bracket so the fan would no longer hit the radiator. My friend learned that a car is not meant for off-roading. laugh

Had a radiator hose blow out. Used electrical tape to close it, then drove home with my radiator cap off to keep the system from pressurizing, which would have blown off the patch. Just kept an eye on the gauge, and stopped to top up the water occasionally. Ran the heater too to help keep the engine cool.

Had a fuel pump die on a steep incline. Took the airfilter off, and poured a little gas into the carb. It would run for about 10 seconds before running out of gas again. Nursed it up and over the hill by doing this over and over. Once on level ground, I was able to drive to a parts store for a replacement. Sure miss having a mechanical pump OUTSIDE the gas tank. I don't miss the carb though.

#98342 - 17/05/06 06:25 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
Army BDAR Kit

Cool link, thanks!

#98343 - 17/05/06 07:37 AM Re: offroad fixes
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Um broke my brushgraud on my first X. fix took it off and threw it away. Along wiht my lower valance.

#98344 - 17/05/06 10:02 AM Re: offroad fixes
xterra3202 Offline

No problem, those kits are pretty cool. We pay about 450.00 for them but I went to Auto Zone and you can get most of the stuff on there for way cheaper.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#98345 - 17/05/06 11:30 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra in HI:
did someone have a spare alternator???
Yeah, we had a spare alt. in the group.

#98346 - 17/05/06 02:48 PM Re: offroad fixes
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
I've broken lot's of things over the years. Half shafts, front diff, and a mirror just to name a few. I've always been able to get it home and fix it.

3 years ago at ECXC, one X had the rear t-bar anchor snap. We used the hi-lift to raise up the front and cut a small piece of a tree that was down and used it as a spacer so he could make it back to camp. We then used a portable welder to rebuild his anchor. He was back on the trail the next day. laugh

#98347 - 17/05/06 07:04 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Automotive Goop works good on CV Boot rips and tears.

RX

#98348 - 17/05/06 08:14 PM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LocalRider#7:
I scratched a rock real bad once.....

So I just flipped it over so no one would see it. :rolleyes:
what did you mess up already?

#98349 - 18/05/06 05:23 AM Re: offroad fixes
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the control arms has a nice gouge in it, but still functional. I guess I will call it a character scar.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal