shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99894 - 09/01/07 09:36 PM Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got stuck in a mud puddle and had to get pulled out by my friend's jeep! I think it's completely stock except for some BFG Mud Terains. It drives through mud, I follow and get stuck. I try to stay out of the ruts, but the truck seems to slip down into them regardless of which way I have the wheel pointed. mad

Is it because of my tires? They seem to be some off-brand that came on the truck when I got it. [Geek]

#99895 - 09/01/07 10:15 PM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Tires make a HUGE difference in the abilities of a truck. There are quite a few reviews of tires on this forum if you search. BFG A/T's are a favorite, along with the Mud Terrains. Depends on what you drive through most. Experience is another big factor, but that increases each time you go out.

#99896 - 10/01/07 06:19 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

That must be some big mud puddle. Turn off your VDC, lower your tire pressure and get some lockers and there will be no mud puddle you will fear to tread!!!

#99897 - 10/01/07 06:31 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Unless the tires you have on are different than those in the picture, those aren't BFG Mud Terrain. They look like BFG Long Trail. As you know, it makes for a very long trail when you have to get pulled out.

If you upgrade to BFG AT or MT, you should get better results.

Do you get hung up? If so, taller tires will help raise the differentials and frame off the ground which will reduce the risk of getting hung up.

Xhillerate: He has a first gen X, so he does not have VDC smile

#99898 - 10/01/07 07:06 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 56kz2slow:
Hi,

Unless the tires you have on are different than those in the picture, those aren't BFG Mud Terrain. They look like BFG Long Trail.
Thanks for the replys everyone. My friend with the Jeep had the BFGs. I'm the one with the off-brand tires. I was wondering if that's why he's able to go through stuff that I'm not, or if the Jeep is just inherently better... :rolleyes:

#99899 - 10/01/07 07:11 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I just realized this past weekend how big a difference tires make... things were pretty muddy out at the offroad park and three of us were heading down the steep trail that we usually use to get to our campsite. My girlfriend has Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos and she was slipping all over the place. My friend has BFG ATs and he slipped quite a bit - but not as much as she did. I have BFG MTs and I was solid as a rock. Almost NO slipping.

If you like to mud, get some mud tires... you'll be pulling that Jeep out when he gets stuck following YOU.

BTW - be really careful in the mud. You've obviously been splashing through it really hard to coat your entire truck like that... that's a recipe for frequent alternator replacement and possible mud intrusion into the intake. Several people here have destroyed their Xterras by going through (and getting stuck in) deep water and deep mud.

I try to stick to the rocks myself. When I see a big mud puddle I do the manly thing and drive around it wink

#99900 - 10/01/07 07:17 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as which is better, that is a long endless debate. In certain conditions, short wheelbase is better and in others long wheelbase is better.

Your tires are definetely part of your problem. If your friend has mud terrain tires, his performance in the mud will certainly be better than yours, all other things being equal.

#99901 - 10/01/07 07:23 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

X 39,943 on the tires!!! The Long trails are not very good in mud. They fill up and dont clean very well.

Also keep in mind your X weighs more than his Jeep.

#99902 - 10/01/07 10:58 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:

Also keep in mind your X weighs more than his Jeep.
And that's a VERY important detail. Even with the same tires, John has a major disadvantage. Another 1000 lbs of weight. In the soft stuff, that plays a huge factor.

But, he can also use momentum to your advantage. Hit the puddles with a little (notice I said little?) more speed and you'll stand a better chance of getting through.

M/S rated tires are much better than what he's running. They will tend to self clean with a burp of the throttle. Street tires tend to snot up and spin.

Better tires, and maybe some improved technique, will help his travels. But just don't expect to go mudding with a lighter vehicle and get the same results. wink

#99903 - 10/01/07 12:52 PM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
BTW - be really careful in the mud. You've obviously been splashing through it really hard to coat your entire truck like that... that's a recipe for frequent alternator replacement and possible mud intrusion into the intake. Several people here have destroyed their Xterras by going through (and getting stuck in) deep water and deep mud.

I try to stick to the rocks myself. When I see a big mud puddle I do the manly thing and drive around it wink
Thanks again for the advice everyone. Most of the mud you see on the car wasn't from splashing through the mud, it was from sitting in it spinning the tires trying to get out. I like dry trails far more than mud as well. This seemed like one of those situations where there was no really good place to go around, because that's deffinately the method that I prefer. I tried to go to the right of the really big rut, but, with these tires I have almost zero directional control once I get in the mud. The X went to the right into a big rut with basicly a vertical wall on either side of it. For a while, I could go back and forth in the rut, but I just couldn't get the X to climb out of it. It was going straight regardless of where the front wheels were pointed.

#99904 - 10/01/07 01:04 PM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

In situations where it just wants to go in the ruts, I find it's sometimes better to just let it ride in the ruts. Anytime you try to get out of the rut, you loose momentum. Now if the ruts are too deep, you will get stuck no matter what.

I don't have that much experience, but the only time I stay out of the ruts is when I know I won't end up in the ruts anyway. I could be doing it all wrong, but I haven't been pulled out yet which either means I do it right, or haven't been in deep shit yet.

#99905 - 11/01/07 04:55 AM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yeah - If you do a lot of mud, MT's are the way go...there's no substitute.

If you do mostly DD, but mud on weekends, etc...or want to preserve street manners over an MT...the AT ko's are hard to beat.

If You want a compromise, get a set of play tires with MT tread....to sawp on for mud days, etc.

You have a longer wheelbase, so you can hillclimb better...and should be better in mud too, with MT's.

If getting rutted, try to avoid high centering by:

Putting your tires on either side of the ruts... and/or putting one side of the truck's tires up on the outer wall of the trail, and the other set of inside tires OUTBOARD of the rut.

ONLY jumping HALF the rut width, so you have the one front on one rut, and the rears on the outside...and crab your way out...etc (Handy when trying a normal avoidance, but you slip into the rut anyway...)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#99906 - 13/01/07 02:06 PM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

AM i the only one who wants to go and find that puddle? Damn, i've never been able to get that coated.

#99907 - 13/01/07 04:30 PM Re: Newbie question...I keep getting stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miskywhisky:
AM i the only one who wants to go and find that puddle? Damn, i've never been able to get that coated.
you sure aren't laugh

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal